Well this should make modding the 2017 CX-5 suspension interesting!

:
23 CX-5 Premium
From this week's edition of Autoweek; first drive of the new CX-5:

"In order to both smooth out and silence the suspension, Mazda added new low-friction struts up front with unique springs on each side."

And this:

"Where, for example, road roar was traveling up through the suspension, engineers added dynamic sound dampers on the struts, tuned to cancel out certain frequencies. Similarly, the bodies of those struts are now built from a different material to reduce noise."

Don't think you're going to find H&R or Koni showing much interest in putting this kind of development into these low volume aftermarket parts.(2cents)

Unless the CX-5 is a monster hit? 😂

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dumb question, but what's the point in changing suspension on an SUV? To lift it?

To lower it most of the time...
9bea6ae1bbd3f175b60e7a17f796dc64.jpg

Or to stiffen it....

Or to Raise it...
8319b796616eba5ae989a525196c749b.jpg

That lifted CX-5 looks awesome! We get a lot of snow in my area so I definitely won't be lowering it. My wife's subaru acted as a snow plow a few times last winter so the additional ground clearance in the CX-5 will be nice.

That lifted CX-5 looks awesome! We get a lot of snow in my area so I definitely won't be lowering it. My wife's subaru acted as a snow plow a few times last winter so the additional ground clearance in the CX-5 will be nice.

I think it looks pretty cool too. Girl ain't buying it, though, said that's what my truck was for...lol

From this week's edition of Autoweek; first drive of the new CX-5:

"In order to both smooth out and silence the suspension, Mazda added new low-friction struts up front with unique springs on each side."

And this:

"Where, for example, road roar was traveling up through the suspension, engineers added dynamic sound dampers on the struts, tuned to cancel out certain frequencies. Similarly, the bodies of those struts are now built from a different material to reduce noise."

Don't think you're going to find H&R or Koni showing much interest in putting this kind of development into these low volume aftermarket parts.(2cents)

Looking at what's available now and from how many different vendors, I wouldn't consider it low volume. I don't think these "dampers" would be a factor at all when designing an aftermarket coilover, strut or spring. I wouldn't be surprised if the added damper is simply a bushing(s). Sounds to me like a fancy way to present a minor change lol. It's like decding between monotube adjustable coilovers or a twin tubes (more $$$, quitter/more comfortable, but not necessarily higher performance).

I see no value for me in turning my CX5 into a water or snow shoveler by lower it OR raising it to reduce the handling. I think the engineers had it correct as is. Ed

Do you drive a tractor by any chance? :)

I personally don't but father-in-law has like 20 of them that go back from modern day to 50's.

However...I am drawn to his 4WD Kubota that looks like this. I think I would run out of dirt to dig up though. :)

Quick%20Attach_Detach.jpg

I personally don't but father-in-law has like 20 of them that go back from modern day to 50's.

However...I am drawn to his 4WD Kubota that looks like this. I think I would run out of dirt to dig up though. :)

Quick%20Attach_Detach.jpg

Best tractors made for the money. Want the same one with a tad smaller engine and a bush hog attachment. Cool toys, I mean machines.

Back