My 2016.5 and 2017 Test Drive Experience

clads01

:
2017 CX-5 GT FWD Machine Gray
Ok, spent lots of time on the internet and these forums researching the CX-5 and finally made it to the dealership to do a test drive. I'm coming from a 2003.5 Protege 5 as my car and also have lots of time in my wife's 2004 Saab 9-3. Wanted to drive both the 16.5 and 17 to compare (I liked the styling and added features of the 17 better, but liked the $2000 cash back on the 16.5 better). Here's a summary of my experience, which will of course focus on those aspects of the vehicle that I place a priority on (or happened to notice):

1. Cabin noise is an important factor for us. For the 17, after reading all the information and digesting all the Mazda PR about improved sound isolation, I must say I was slightly disappointed that the interior was not quieter. There was a fair amount of engine noise, and I didn't get the sense that I was in a luxury vehicle cabin (noisier than my wife's Saab, which probably counts as a luxury car). The 17 is somewhat quieter than the 16.5, with the main difference in my opinion being the wind noise at highway speeds.

2. Vehicle handling was good and very Mazda-like -- not noticeably different for the different model years, based upon my relatively short test-drive loop. The "get-up-and-go" factor on both was not as high as I would have liked. I guess count me among those that would like to see a turbo option. In retrospect, I should have tried driving in "sport" mode, but didn't think of it at the time.

3. I tried the 17 with the HUD. Seemed like a really cool feature, and while it is very practical in terms of providing information to the driver (e.g., blind spot warning) while keeping your eyes on the road, I found the projected image distracting and almost annoying.

4. Leatherette -- didn't like it on the 17 Touring, definitely seemed cheesy compared to the genuine leather on the GT. Really disappointed that cloth isn't an option except for on the Sport. And also really disappointed that the only leather colors are black and parchment = white. Grey, tan colors would have been better IMHO.

5. Misc. 17 observations: the auto lift gate is noisy -- haven't ever had a car with one so maybe that is normal; really did not like the faux grey wood trim on the interior, preferred the brushed metal accents on the 16.5; re: the wheels, the Sport and Touring wheels on the 17 are a lot more gunmetal grey than I thought based upon previous pictures; the push-button start was in a much better place on the 17 -- who thought of the brilliant idea to put it right behind one of the steering wheel levers on the 16.5???

Ok, all I can think of (and have time to type) for now. Pics below, feel free to ask any questions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 17CX5_1.jpg
    17CX5_1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 3,007
  • 17CX5_2.jpg
    17CX5_2.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 4,293
  • 17CX5_3.jpg
    17CX5_3.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 4,307
  • 17CX5_4.jpg
    17CX5_4.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 4,308
  • 17CX5_wheel.jpg
    17CX5_wheel.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 2,989
Last edited:
I see they are still using those god awful Geolandar G91's (hated those for winter).

Thank you for your write up!

I think the biggest noise reduction was the wind noise that got drastically reduced from say the levels of mine (2014). It gets pretty noisy on my 2014 at highway speeds. I've gotten used to it, but still notice it every now and then. As for engine noise, I guess that never seemed loud to me? But I've not been in a luxury car either, so maybe it's louder than those. I can say that there are times at idle that I can't even tell my CX-5 is on.

Agreed on the Leatherette. I am glad my 2014 Touring has cloth seats. I'm not a fan of leather seats in general (unless it's a couch lol).

I guess I've never understood the idea that the CX-5 doesn't have "get up and go". I would say mine definitely does as I am typically the fastest to go when a light turns green or when I need to accelerate fast to pass someone, but again I don't really have anything to compare it to.

I guess I've never understood the idea that the CX-5 doesn't have "get up and go". I would say mine definitely does as I am typically the fastest to go when a light turns green or when I need to accelerate fast to pass someone, but again I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Both vehicles I drove did not struggle in this regard (and are way better than my Protege5), but they just didn't have as much "oomph" as I would have liked for merging/passing maneuvers. Perhaps the bar is set high by my wife's Saab, which has a turbo and seems really nimble at highway speeds.

Nice review - makes me glad I got the 16.5. But I almost wish I had waited to take advantage of the $2k cash back. But if I waited I wouldn't have been able to get a Touring w/Tech.

Another thing I observed and didn't note earlier (echoing a comment in Kellic's 'bought a CX-5 on lunch break' thread) is that the steering wheel didn't feel as nice on the 17 compared to the 16.5. They were both leather-wrapped (as far as I could tell), but the steering wheel on the 17 seemed thicker and the leather was smoother -- probably a personal preference thing, but the texture of the steering wheel on the 16.5 felt better to me.

Ok, spent lots of time on the internet and these forums researching the CX-5 and finally made it to the dealership to do a test drive.
Thanks for your review with back-to-back comparison between 2016.5 and 2017 CX-5's.

Wanted to drive both the 16.5 and 17 to compare (I liked the styling and added features of the 17 better, but liked the $2000 cash back on the 16.5 better).
I difinitely like styling of 2016.5. 2017 CX-5 looks too plain from side and too much space below headlights for nothing.

The 17 is somewhat quieter than the 16.5, with the main difference in my opinion being the wind noise at highway speeds.
This's expected with thicker acoustic windshield and added door seals in 2017.

I tried the 17 with the HUD. Seemed like a really cool feature, and while it is very priactical in terms of providing information to the driver (e.g., blind spot warning) while keeping your eyes on the road, I found the projected image distracting and almost annoying.
This's something I wasn't sure about HUD. But we can always turn it off if we don't like it.

Leatherette -- didn't like it on the 17 Touring, definitely seemed cheesy compared to the genuine leather on the GT. Really disappointed that cloth isn't an option except for on the Sport. And also really disappointed that the only leather colors are black and parchment = white. Grey, tan colors would have been better IMHO.
I'd imagine most people prefer cloth than leatherette if they don't want leather. Why does Mazda change Touring material from cloth to leatherette is a mystery to me. (uhm)

Yeah I definitely wish Mazda can offer more than black and white colors for interior! Others have at least 3 colors for interior. Lots of people in southern states hate all-black interior as it's getting really hot in summer.

Leatherette even just sounds kind of lame, to be honest. Former Saab owner here. No, the CX5 is no turbo charged Saab, but I am really enjoying it.
I believe the height on the HUD is adjustable too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Leatherette even just sounds kind of lame, to be honest. Former Saab owner here. No, the CX5 is no turbo charged Saab, but I am really enjoying it.
I believe the height on the HUD is adjustable too.

You can adjust it up and down quite a bit and also change the tilt side to side so it will be level no matter how you are positioned when you drive. I expect that once you drive with it for a while, you won't even notice it or the fact that your are keeping your eyes on the road much more. I bet this is a requirement for cars at some point.

I visited dealership today.
Saw old and new CX5 on the floor.
To me, new one looks much better.
I am biased because the interior looks more Mazda6-like, which I have.
The new colors (red and dark grey) are beautiful under the sun.

I saw a GT with TOYO tires. (225/55R19)
Did not get to go inside since it was locked.

Side: I miss that Kodo cheetah's belly too, but some will argue this is exactly what needs fixed in order to give 17 a luxury car look.
Yeah...That swoop really set the style in my opinion. Now it feels more like....every other CUV?

I have had HUD for some time. The "get off my lawn" crowd may be resistant to it, but I think it's more convenient and safer at highway/Autobahn speeds in my M4. TBH, HUD contributed some to why I purchased a 2017.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Yea, the first time I saw a HUD in a Cutlass I wanted it. 20 years later, how is this not more common?

I expect the '17 CX-5 to display phone, nav, music and pertinent driving data.

It really reduces eyes off the road.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I checked out the 2017 the other day at the dealership.

IMO, Faux leather in the Touring is a negative. Cloth in 2016.5 is a far better option. Same goes for the addition of shining chrome on the outside. Personally I liked the understated look of 2016. Other than that it looks pretty nice. Glove box could've used a lock.

Wish the center air vents came with dials like this.

MXCru9l.jpg

hpp2d7f.jpg

Capture 1.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.
Interesting how different drivers find the updated car.

Ok, spent lots of time on the internet and these forums researching the CX-5 and finally made it to the dealership to do a test drive. I'm coming from a 2003.5 Protege 5 as my car and also have lots of time in my wife's 2004 Saab 9-3. Wanted to drive both the 16.5 and 17 to compare (I liked the styling and added features of the 17 better, but liked the $2000 cash back on the 16.5 better). Here's a summary of my experience, which will of course focus on those aspects of the vehicle that I place a priority on (or happened to notice):

1. Cabin noise is an important factor for us. For the 17, after reading all the information and digesting all the Mazda PR about improved sound isolation, I must say I was slightly disappointed that the interior was not quieter. There was a fair amount of engine noise, and I didn't get the sense that I was in a luxury vehicle cabin (noisier than my wife's Saab, which probably counts as a luxury car). The 17 is somewhat quieter than the 16.5, with the main difference in my opinion being the wind noise at highway speeds.

2. Vehicle handling was good and very Mazda-like -- not noticeably different for the different model years, based upon my relatively short test-drive loop. The "get-up-and-go" factor on both was not as high as I would have liked. I guess count me among those that would like to see a turbo option. In retrospect, I should have tried driving in "sport" mode, but didn't think of it at the time.

3. I tried the 17 with the HUD. Seemed like a really cool feature, and while it is very practical in terms of providing information to the driver (e.g., blind spot warning) while keeping your eyes on the road, I found the projected image distracting and almost annoying.

4. Leatherette -- didn't like it on the 17 Touring, definitely seemed cheesy compared to the genuine leather on the GT. Really disappointed that cloth isn't an option except for on the Sport. And also really disappointed that the only leather colors are black and parchment = white. Grey, tan colors would have been better IMHO.

5. Misc. 17 observations: the auto lift gate is noisy -- haven't ever had a car with one so maybe that is normal; really did not like the faux grey wood trim on the interior, preferred the brushed metal accents on the 16.5; re: the wheels, the Sport and Touring wheels on the 17 are a lot more gunmetal grey than I thought based upon previous pictures; the push-button start was in a much better place on the 17 -- who thought of the brilliant idea to put it right behind one of the steering wheel levers on the 16.5???

Ok, all I can think of (and have time to type) for now. Pics below, feel free to ask any questions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back