2017 Questions

:
None
Hello CX-5 forumites. I test drove a 2016.5 CX-5. I liked it but decided to wait for the 2017s. Meanwhile, I read the 2017 CX-5 brochure and was wondering:

1. Does the CX-5s 2.5 L engine have a timing chain or a timing belt and how often does it need to be replaced? My current car has a timing belt. It needs to be replaced every 60,000 mi. and its an expensive job. I dont want another car with a timing belt again.

2. Does the CX-5 need premium gas in order to avoid engine knock? The engines compression ratio is rather high at 13.0:1.

3. Do you think theyll be any changes to the 2018 CX-5 due this fall or will it be left unchanged from 2017? With the 2017 CX-5 debuting so late in the model year, the 2018 model will be nipping on the heels of the 2017 model. The 2017 CX-5 model year will be very short and take a big hit on depreciation with one years worth of depreciation being lost in a few months.

4. Im considering the T (Touring) trim level model. Will a dealership swap the nonheated outside mirrors for heated outside mirrors (hom) as a retrofit and will it be included with Mazdas warranty? Im a little disappointed that hom is only available on the top of the line GT trim level. Its not a deal killer for me though. A utilitarian feature like hom should be standard equipment on all three trim levels just like the rear window defroster is. Most people who live in the northern states want hom. I hate it when auto makers bundle utilitarian features such as hom with hedonistic features such as leather, sun roof, etc. into more expensive trim levels. Hedonistic options should be options by themselves. Ive seen other auto makers do this same kind of marketing. Its like theyre trying to goad people into buying the most expensive trim level in order to get something that should be standard equipment. I found a topic on this forum concerning a hom swap for a non-hom as a do it yourself project. This is the link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...d-Mirror-Retrofit-to-Sport-and-Touring-Models After reading it, I dont think I want to attempt it myself knowing my mechanical skills.

5. Honda is trying to sneakily lure people away to their cars by using a misleading Mazda URL name. LOL. Has anyone noticed it? I accidentally typed in mazda247.com instead of mazdas247.com (without the letter s)? It takes you to a Honda web site.

Thank you forumites.

1. Chain
2. No premium needed.
3. Mazda model years have always been odd. For example a 2016 CX5 could be bought middle of 2015. So its odd. This has no affect on depreciation. Mazda is +/- 700 with respect to Rav4 as a baseline. No new on 2018 - I dont know when Skyactiv 2 will be released of its that near.
4. You need more than a mirror swap for that. I dont think any dealer will be willing to do it for less than a $1000 minimum.
5. Screw honda, we made that site to fool mango.

No, CX-5 doesn't need premium gas.
And hey, I live in Southern California. I have no need for HOM and don't want to pay for them even as a "utilitarian" feature! ;) Seriously, I think all auto manufacturers should have a simple "cold weather" package that either includes such things or leaves them out entirely. I'm sure I'll rarely ever use my heated seats.

And hey, I live in Southern California. I have no need for HOM and don't want to pay for them even as a "utilitarian" feature! ;) Seriously, I think all auto manufacturers should have a simple "cold weather" package that either includes such things or leaves them out entirely. I'm sure I'll rarely ever use my heated seats.

My property is on a river... so even in the warm seasons my side mirrors are often covered in dew. I agree they should be standard on all trim levels, or at least the mid-level, as its a safety reason.

YMMV

1. Timing chain.
2. No premium needed. 87 is what the manual says.
3. Considering the 2017 is a new generation for the CX-5, I'd imagine the 2018 will have little to no change. (Fun fact...my 2014 has a manufacturing date of January 2013 and was bought in April of that year)
4. Don't know. I'd imagine more work would need to go into switching that out than you might think. Doesn't hurt to ask.
5. That's funny. Also LOL Kaps
Kaps said:
5. Screw honda, we made that site to fool mango.

Glad to hear that it has a timing chain. How often does the CX-5’s timing chain need to be replaced? Thank you forumites.

Hey, I have no need for CA emissions compliance, I live in PA. :)

Glad to hear that it has a timing chain. How often does the CX-5s timing chain need to be replaced? Thank you forumites.
Almost everybody has switched to timing chain other than Honda V6. So basically if you hate routine timing-belt replacement like I do, avoid Honda/Acura V6! If you do oil change often according to the book with recommended good quality oil and oil filter, the timing chain should last as long as the engine lifespan! ;)

Hey, I have no need for CA emissions compliance, I live in PA. :)
Yet PA has adopted California’s vehicle emission standards including the greenhouse gas standards for motor vehicles in 2006 ⋯ ;)

Yeah I agree car manufactures should have a simple "Cold Weather" Package like my BMW did. But I do believe Heated Side Mirrors should be a standard feature like Rear Window Defogger.

Back