2017 CX-5 Manual Transmission

spirou

:
2016.5 CX-5 Sport MT, 2002 VW Passat Wagon MT
Hi, new here. I'm interested in a CX-5 with a manual transmission. Should I get the last 2016 on the lot or wait for the new 2017. The dealership is telling me the 2017 version will not come with a manual transmission. Does anybody know if that is true?

For the US market, to date, there has not been a firm answer on the MAN TRANS.

Have you driven yet, the AUTOMATIC Trans in manual mode?

If they do offer a 2017 MAN TRANS in the US, will it be 2.0L, 2.5L, or DIESEL?

I've read a lot of articles saying it will come with a manual. No way to really know for sure though until it's release. I think there will be a manual and it will be 2.0, which is fine by me...

I don't think you can go by what the dealer says... 1) I don't think they know for sure. 2) They will say whatever they think will make you buy what they have on the lot.

Would be a shame if there were no manual...

I have driven the 2.0 Sport MT and like it, its not too different than the MT in my Passat. The only other SUV with MT is the forester, and I did not like the interior or driving feel as much as the CX-5. The dealer sent me the following image that indicates the MT is dropped, but all articles seems to indicate that the MT would still be offered, and the Mazda site does not have the specs yet.

Attachments

• 30C1A43A-.jpg
    30C1A43A-.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 3,828
I have driven the 2.0 Sport MT and like it, its not too different than the MT in my Passat. The only other SUV with MT is the forester, and I did not like the interior or driving feel as much as the CX-5. The dealer sent me the following image that indicates the MT is dropped, but all articles seems to indicate that the MT would still be offered, and the Mazda site does not have the specs yet.
Thanks for the great screenshot! Some nice tidbits of info there...

My gut feeling is that in USA, the manual will be offered with the DIESEL option.

attachment.php

Last edited:
That would a shame. The manual option was what led me to the CX-5. I waited around a couple of years hoping for a 2.5 manual or higher trim level manual before getting my '16.
No regrets. A true manual is something that a manumatic will never be.

Regarding that screenshot.... OUCH!!

The optimist in me says they are dropping the sport manual but offering it at other trim levels?!

⋯ The dealer sent me the following image that indicates the MT is dropped, but all articles seems to indicate that the MT would still be offered, and the Mazda site does not have the specs yet.
attachment.php
Looks like Mazda definitely has decided dropping the manual on CX-5! Now there're some more information exposed for US version new 2-gen 2017 CX-5:

1. SA-G 2.5L now has 3 more hp at 187 hp with G-Vectoring Control.
  2. EPA fuel economy rating dropped - FWD from 26/33 to 24/31; AWD from 24/30 to 23/29. At least the ratings are more resembling real world gas mileage and EPA rating gaps between FWD and AWD are narrower.
  3. Bose system has 10 speakers instead of 11-speaker Bose setup like Japanese version. Is sub-woofer eliminated or something else?
  4. LED headlights now are available for all trims but GT gets AFS、LED fog lights、and "Signature" LED lightings. No more fog lights for Touring.
  5. Sport now gets the same rear seats as Touring and GT. Rear seats recline.

Regarding that screenshot.... OUCH!!

The optimist in me says they are dropping the sport manual but offering it at other trim levels?!

That would be great, but the realist in me is more pessimistic. Remember, I waited three years for something that never came.

Having had lots of manual cars and only this one auto, I certainly no longer see the point of manual.

I often use the auto in manual and its a damn site easier to use than the manual was, no pratting about with hill starts makes driver much easier IMO.

Having had lots of manual cars and only this one auto, I certainly no longer see the point of manual.

I often use the auto in manual and its a damn site easier to use than the manual was, no pratting about with hill starts makes driver much easier IMO.

Ah, but popping the clutch on a downward roll was my saving grace in a few instances, in days gone by. Can't simulate that with an automatic :)

That said... I do NOT miss coming off a red light facing uphill, in a manual ;)

Was really hoping for somebody to say the information I received was wrong. So my choices are:

1) wait for official info directly from the mazdausa newsroom site
2) wait for the 2.2 diesel and see if it that one will come with a MT
3) get a 2016 Sport with MT

EXACTLY

If you have to 'pratt about' with hill starts, you are not adept with driving a manual.

Agree. People who can't drive a manual where there are hills, might not be the people who should drive a manual.

Was really hoping for somebody to say the information I received was wrong. So my choices are:

1) wait for official info directly from the mazdausa newsroom site
2) wait for the 2.2 diesel and see if it that one will come with a MT
3) get a 2016 Sport with MT
This is an "official" internal document. There is nothing can be more "official" than this! 2.2L diesel should be the top of line in trim levels like everywhere else in the world. Chances are slim the diesel gets a manual. Finding a 2016.5 Sport manual is a more realistic choice as it does exist in US market.

I've used the manual mode maybe once or twice. No satisfaction at all with it.

Back