Testament to Mazda safety

The average American buys more Rogue, Rav4 and CRV.
On the plus side - hopefully Jenn will boost the brand retention rate.

Last edited:
Nice. Now put that car in a showroom. :D
That's what a Volvo dealer in Sweden did. Sales going through the roof. lol

We found out how well Mazdas do a couple yrs ago. My wife was in a CX7 and was stopped at a light when a full size Ford rear ended her at 60 mph and never touch the brakes.. everyone was safe. She still suffers from concussion symptoms but all things considered I'll take it. I had no problem buying my cx5.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Holy crap that looks like a bad accident, glad the lady is ok! Modern cars really are much safer.

Great article! We recently got my Fiance out of here 2010 Hyundai Accent, and into a 2016 CX-5, for this exact reason. I didn't feel comfortable letting her and our son drive around in a suicide-box Accent. Thrilled to see that the CX-5 is holding up to it's reputation.

She's just lucky to drive alone that day. I wonder if a person sitting on the passenger side would get crushed completely. Similarly, what if the truck hit her on the driver instead ...

She's just lucky to drive alone that day. I wonder if a person sitting on the passenger side would get crushed completely. Similarly, what if the truck hit her on the driver instead ...
This's a fair accessment and I have exactly the same feeling. I personally think Madza shouldn't put this kind of article out as a 《Living Proof of CX-5’s Safety》as it proved nothing on CX-5's safety! Many people saw the condition of the passenger side and will more than likely doubt what would happen if there's a passenger!

And why would Mazda want to mention 5-star NHTSA crash rating? It got downgraded to 4 stars overall and only 3 stars on passenger side frontal crash rating for 2016 CX-5! Hope Jenn didn't get a 2016 CX-5 or she may be disappointed when she learned the HNTSA ratings have been downgraded! (boom02)

Last edited:
Speaking of, any thought on why the CX5 was downgraded? I know, presumably because it re-tested and did worse. But why did it do worse? Did Mazda change something structurally between the earlier and the 2016 model or was it just a variance in the specific test that year? I think I read somewhere that the car's hood was strengthened and improved from its initial release in 2013 - could this (or something like it) have something to do with the "poorer" crash test? My wife, the usual front seat passenger, is worried!

⋯ My wife, the usual front seat passenger, is worried!
The drop from 5 stars to 3 stars is very substantial and there's no way it was caused by variance! Some member digged into NHTSA files and found that it's possible the all 5-star test ratings for 2015 CX-5 MY is inherited from previous testing made for 2014 MY. Mazda might have made some changes like you said, and once the real test happened by NHTSA for 2016 CX-5, the passenger side did suffer much poorer rating. Only Mazda knows what was really happened but of course they won't say anything about the screw-ups! I believe recent recall - Special Service Program A6 by Mazda on CX-5 could have something to do with fixing the poor crash rating issue.

When we bought our 2016 CX-5 the NHTSA crash ratings had not been released yet and I assumed the ratings should be the same. But once it came out it was a shock to me too. And my wife still thinks NHTSA crash ratings are all perfect 5 stars! She's a daily driver so I wouldn't worry too much about it. After all CX-5 still keeps Top Safety Pick+ from IIHS.

I can also attest from personal experience our 2014 Mazda CX-5 (RIP) did it's job. A car made an illegal left hand turn in front of us. I only had time to brake for about 15 feet before we collided. We hit at about 45 mph. The car was totaled with the engine being pushed into the front firewall, all airbag's deploying and even the rear "frame" bent. I came out of it bumped and bruised and my wife ended up with a couple hernias from the impact but I'm convinced the car did it's job and protected us. It should have been much worse.

I felt so strongly that I purchased another 2016 CX-5 GT in early January (two weeks after the collision).

Last edited:
In Europe, existing models only get demoted if they don't get upgraded at model revision with autonomous braking.

To be fair, most cars on the market will look similar in such a crash. Mazda does get the credit for keeping the driver safe when the other side of the car showed how severe the collision was.

This's a fair accessment and I have exactly the same feeling. I personally think Madza shouldn't put this kind of article out as a 《Living Proof of CX-5s Safety》as it proved nothing on CX-5's safety! Many people saw the condition of the passenger side and will more than likely doubt what would happen if there's a passenger!

And why would Mazda want to mention 5-star NHTSA crash rating? It got downgraded to 4 stars overall and only 3 stars on passenger side frontal crash rating for 2016 CX-5! Hope Jenn didn't get a 2016 CX-5 or she may be disappointed when she learned the HNTSA ratings have been downgraded! (boom02)

Man, why are you so negative all the time. The Mazda CX-5, like most all its competitors are top safety picks (TSP+) by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety institute.

The NHTSA ratings are a 4/5 - similar to the Rouge, the 2015 CR-V and Rav-4. Your post gives the impression that the CX-5 is an unsafe car as compared to all the others and that is just not true.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/MAZDA/CX-5/SUV/AWD#safety-ratings-side

dougal, i was confused with yrwei52's comments as well - though i will not label him negative. I think he is one of the good contributors who has good depth and breadth of knowledge. My wife did extensive research on car safety and CX5 seems to be as good as you mention. I think he may be referring to 2015 or an older model.

Only area where CX5 lags is "Ease of carseat installation" - which is a convenience not a safety hazard. CX5 rates similarly for all 3 back row positions. Even here is ok or average rather than bad.

CRASHWORTHINESS
Small overlap front
G
Moderate overlap front
G
Side
G
Roof strength
G
Head restraints & seats
G

CRASH AVOIDANCE & MITIGATION
Front crash prevention
Crash avoidance rating
SUPERIOR
with optional
equipment

Headlights
A
with optional
equipment

CHILD SEAT ANCHORS (LATCH)
EASE OF USE
A

CX5 is an IIHS top safety pick + same as Rav4 and CRV, Rogue in 2016 is not.

My biggest problem with the story is that she was making a left hand turn when she got hit on the passenger side meaning that she didn't look for/see the dump truck coming at speed. This is truly a case of driver error. Even if she had a dedicated turn light and the dump truck was completely wrong for proceeding, she should STILL have seen that dump truck coming at 40+ mph. It is the turning driver's responsibility to be sure the path is clear before proceeding even if they were completely within the law and the dump truck wasn't (but we have no idea about that from the story as presented). The good news is that even though the law of averages caught up with her, she was not seriously injured. But I do hope she scans the road better next time she's tuning left.

Back