The diesel are coming the diesel are coming

My advise is don't rush out to buy one, let someone else test the waters.

Lots of engine problems throughout the world with the diesel engine. Worn cams, vacuum pump failures, both leading to further problems such as turbo failures, and total engine failure.

Lots of engine problems throughout the world with the diesel engine. Worn cams, vacuum pump failures, both leading to further problems such as turbo failures, and total engine failure.

I'd be interested in some supporting evidence for the 2.2 skyactiv diesel ? links?

Personally, I've had a faultless 45000 miles so far.

I'd be interested in some supporting evidence for the 2.2 skyactiv diesel ? links?
Personally, I've had a faultless 45000 miles so far.
4,5000 faultless miles on your SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel? That's too few of the miles to claim this diesel is reliable! Wait until you have 200,000 miles ⋯ :)

I agree with xtrailman. Some mechanical issues can be easily addressed by using better quality parts, but I really don't think by making some software changes and a higher "X" mark on the oil level dipstick have really resolved the oil raising issue caused by being not able to complete DPF regeneration cycle without many long trips. The cost of repairing or replacing the DPF will be expensive; and now with added urea injection to US SA-D diesel with periodical urea refill the cost will be even higher!

From watching videos, it appears that refilling the urea/Adblue on cars is a relatively inexpensive DIY that is about as simple as topping off washer fluid. If the CX-5 is like other diesels, it'll just be a matter of unbolting a metal access cover above the tank which is usually located below the spare tire area, and pouring the mixture in with a funnel.

Last edited:
I would be happy to buy a third cx5 if they fitted the cx9 2.5? turbo petrol, but we don't even get offered the NA 2.5 petrol.

Oil rise due to dilution is still apparent on my 2015 car, i know when it doing a PDF burn, but i'm not prepared to drive around in circles to ensure the burn is finished, its just not practical, and a burn can start at any time during a journey.

Well, if you go to Mercedes dealer refilling 7.5 gallons of AdBlue, it'd cost you several hundreds and you have to do it once for every 10,000 miles. Of course it's a lot cheaper to DIY, but how many people are willing to do that? Most people don't even want to change oil by themselves!

Modern Tech: The True Cost of Diesel

4,5000 faultless miles on your SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel? That's too few of the miles to claim this diesel is reliable! Wait until you have 200,000 miles ⋯ :)

I agree with xtrailman. Some mechanical issues can be easily addressed by using better quality parts, but I really don't think by making some software changes and a higher "X" mark on the oil level dipstick have really resolved the oil raising issue caused by being not able to complete DPF regeneration cycle without many long trips. The cost of repairing or replacing the DPF will be expensive; and now with added urea injection to US SA-D diesel with periodical urea refill the cost will be even higher!

The 2.2l (SH-VPTS) is very reliable and not too many issues have been encountered, according to my guy in germany... it's the 1.5l (S5-VPTS) that have injection pump issues that causes severe fuel dilution and eventually thrown rods.... while the 2.2l came out first, the 1.5l is more popular in Europe due to the demand for low displacement engines and smaller cars... a lot of boat anchor SkyActiv diesels he has seen are the 1.5l/S5 ones

The 2.2l (SH-VPTS) is very reliable and not too many issues have been encountered, according to my guy in germany... it's the 1.5l (S5-VPTS) that have injection pump issues that causes severe fuel dilution and eventually thrown rods.... while the 2.2l came out first, the 1.5l is more popular in Europe due to the demand for low displacement engines and smaller cars... a lot of boat anchor SkyActiv diesels he has seen are the 1.5l/S5 ones
xtrailman is on his second 175 PS 2.2L SA-D diesel. He is still experiencing oil dilution issue on his new diesel! Problem fixed? I don't think so!

I guess that's the real reason why Mazda didn't bring this over to us yet because that'll majorly drag down their reliability ratings ;)

Well, if you go to Mercedes dealer refilling 7.5 gallons of AdBlue, it'd cost you several hundreds and you have to do it once for every 10,000 miles. Of course it's a lot cheaper to DIY, but how many people are willing to do that? Most people don't even want to change oil by themselves!

Most trucks put the urea funnel next to the gas to make it easy. I'm not surprised Mercedes would make this overly complicated.

EDIT: Hopefully it will be this easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dj54Ai6Uc

I'd remove the dpf and disable regen on the ecu tune and o ly install to pass emissions. And since it obly cost like $10 to test, I'd probably try with the equip removed just to see

there's no diesel emissions tests in texas!
Wow did not know that. Explains some things lol. Then for sure I'd remove the equip and turn it off on the tune. Bigger intercooler (available from japan) and a tune and you can start pushing some real power. 50hp and 90ftlb is easy to get stock, stock cx5 awd diesel can get 6sec 0-60 with a tune and proper tires/wheel

16486872_1561648257193746_2638525374304647793_o.jpg

That absolutely KILLS any savings you may be seeing at the pump, especially compared to the equally "fast" 2.0L gas burner. I assume by several, you mean $300 or more, because $200 is a couple... $300 per 10K miles = $0.90 ever 30 miles. So if you average 30mpg, this means you need to add $1/gallon to the fuel you are buying, effectively.

So I guess diesel is for towing, or ignorant people who THINK they will save money, or for people who's main goal is road-tripping and not stopping a lot.

That absolutely KILLS any savings you may be seeing at the pump
Exactly! In the link I posted earlier the guy compared 2012 ML350 gas and ML350 BlueTEC for 30,000 miles and the gas ML saved $1,425 than diesel ML on all operating cost!

One thing to remember though in many Asian countries the government subsidizes diesel fuel and the price is a lot cheaper than gasoline. That would make big difference there!

I'm on my 2nd european market diesel (volvo and, now, mazda) and I've yet to have diesel/dpf related problems.

It's understood, here in the UK, that a driving profile of predominantly short journeys isn't diesel friendly. The DPF burn is supposed to wait for a longer journey, after a fill up.

My driving profile is once every 4 weeks I do 2x200 miles on a saturday and, each day in between those 4 weeks my journeys are short; at least 2 a day between 2 and 15 miles. I think once I've smelled the DPF burn phase when i wasn't on a lengthy journey, but all seems fine.

Latest posts

Back