CX-5 sat for the winter, and mice got to it!

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
So, I let the CX-5 sit over the winter on our acreage in a well-trimmed area where all our equipment is. I thought of a mouse issue, but didn't think it would happen to the Mazda. I let it sit in September, and about 3 times since, I started it and took it for a small highway drive. Today I took it out for the 3rd time, and noticed there was mice poop and some torn up insulation and napkins strewn about(no evidence of a nest that I can see but I'm guessing it's somewhere). Anyways, it fired up great, and had to get through some snow to get onto our driveway and ended up getting stuck, I rocked it out eventually and noticed the TPMS light flashes for a minute, then the ESC light(not "ESC OFF" light, but the icon of a car slipping) came on too. I have no stability control, traction control or anything of the sort. No other lights illuminated until I got through our driveway and it was DEEP snow, so I locked the transmission into 2nd and went flat out, I was pushing it hard for a minute or two until the "4WD" light started flashing and it reverted to FWD. Thankfully I was out of the deep snow by then. I parked it in our shop and am letting it thaw out, hoping it's just an issue of snow, but deep down, I don't think it is. Car is still under warranty, but I'm pretty confident that warranty doesn't cover rodent damage. Anyone think it may go away with a good thawing overnight? And maybe what to check? Engine bay wires looked untouched, but of course, I think I'm dealing with a wheel sensor.

So, I let the CX-5 sit over the winter on our acreage in a well-trimmed area where all our equipment is. I thought of a mouse issue, but didn't think it would happen to the Mazda. I let it sit in September, and about 3 times since, I started it and took it for a small highway drive. Today I took it out for the 3rd time, and noticed there was mice poop and some torn up insulation and napkins strewn about(no evidence of a nest that I can see but I'm guessing it's somewhere). Anyways, it fired up great, and had to get through some snow to get onto our driveway and ended up getting stuck, I rocked it out eventually and noticed the TPMS light flashes for a minute, then the ESC light(not "ESC OFF" light, but the icon of a car slipping) came on too. I have no stability control, traction control or anything of the sort. No other lights illuminated until I got through our driveway and it was DEEP snow, so I locked the transmission into 2nd and went flat out, I was pushing it hard for a minute or two until the "4WD" light started flashing and it reverted to FWD. Thankfully I was out of the deep snow by then. I parked it in our shop and am letting it thaw out, hoping it's just an issue of snow, but deep down, I don't think it is. Car is still under warranty, but I'm pretty confident that warranty doesn't cover rodent damage. Anyone think it may go away with a good thawing overnight? And maybe what to check? Engine bay wires looked untouched, but of course, I think I'm dealing with a wheel sensor.

Wheel sensor will do that. I had mine fray on the axle once because of half asses suspension work by a shop. Easy and cheap to replace, and pretty visible for inspection. Check around your ecu for wire damage ( near battery), check and see that the 50 amp abs/dsc fuse and 30 amp abs/dsc fuse arent popped.

Remove the plastic cover and check there too. They might nest inside the padding.

I am feeling your pain! I put mine in a HOT storage unit for 7 months last summer, dam car had only 500 miles on it. I flat spotted my tires, and maybe more issues. Cars hate to sit, will never park a car for long term again if I can help it, would have been better off loaning it to a friend, then let it sit. Reset your tpms. and I think the dealer can pull codes that have cleared them selves, fancy OBDII scan tools can look at code history.

I've had a couple of mechanics tell me to use fabric softener dryer sheets (Bounce, etc.) tied to the area. Apparently the mice don't like the smell and wont stay around. Might be worth a try if you have to park it for a while again.

Also you can get a free ap and bluetooth obd2 code reader on ebay for $5

In parts of Europe all car spares shops stock "marten repellent" as Pine Martens in particular cannot resist the rubber and foam that is commonplace in modern vehicles. I have come across several vehicles where the high density foam that is used as dampening and deadening material on engines that has been gnawed by mice - they too get the irresistible urge to chew this stuff. You might be able to find one of these repellants online which might help or you can get a cat. Keep in mind that your problem might well be nothing to do with mice. Now rats are another story.

Might want to leave a box of d-Con on the floor. Makes them thirsty so mice should leave the car.

This seems to have eliminated the problem in my parent's motorhome.

dcrbs11_12ct_t1_pch_us.png

Might want to leave a box of d-Con on the floor. Makes them thirsty so mice should leave the car.

This seems to have eliminated the problem in my parent's motorhome.

dcrbs11_12ct_t1_pch_us.png

This stuff works great! The problem is that the damn mice drop dead in the most inconvenient places. Like inside of walls or other impossible to get at areas. Then as they decompose they stink up the entire area.

Rats have been a recurring issue for my Integra, which sits outside and isn't used much. The only thing that has worked so far is moth balls. Put a few in some old socks or nylons and tie them around the engine bay in a couple of places. Smells awful, but worth it. One year they chewed the wiring to the fuel injectors. Ate the **** copper. Fortunately it was in an easy place to reach so I was able to repair it myself, but it took a decent amount of head-scratching to figure out what was wrong and where they had chewed. Had they chewed anywhere else it could have been a pretty major repair just getting to the wires.

from experience i can tell you, your dealer will not cover rodent damage, had some type of rodent chew through the gas tank evap line causing CEL, and it cost me $900 to replace 3ft plastic hose...

I put a box of bounce, and 2 boxes of mothballs in my snowmobile during the summer, works great!!

.................................., then the ESC light(not "ESC OFF" light, but the icon of a car slipping) came on too. I have no stability control, traction control or anything of the sort. No other lights illuminated until I got through our driveway and it was DEEP snow, ...........................................

My ESC light comes on when ESC activates. You should expect that in difficult snow. Edmunds says all 2014s have stability control and traction control.

My TPMS light comes on when one tire has two, or so, psi lower pressure. Since it had been sitting, check your tire pressures.

Back