Lift Gate Malfunctions

lutzms

:
CX-5
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and hoping I can find some help with my 2013 CX-5 Touring.

After about 20K miles, I started having issues with the lift gate. It would intermittently stop working. The motor would occasionally make odd buzzing noises, and after a few days of acting up, it would start working fine again.

Under warranty, Mazda replaced the entire locking mechanism (said the parts were corroded). Once my initial warranty expired, I started having the exact same problem. After dealing with two different Mazda dealers, I ended up paying out of pocket the same repair. Well, not more than 8 months after the last repair, it's doing it again! What I've discovered this time around is it only starts doing this after it's been in the rain or gone through the car wash -- something obviously isn't sealed up and letting water in.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this or have any suggested places to check for leaks? The hatch seal is in good shape, and the seals around the wiring and release button appear fine. I'm not sure what else I can check.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure if they could be related, but in 2013, there was a special service bulletin where Mazda replaced some backup cameras due to possibility of water intrusion while in car wash etc. I'm wondering if the service was done, but some of the seals weren't replaced, or if not, maybe the water is getting in and affecting your lock.

Mazda seems to have a few issues with water penetration and corroding electrical components on the early builds -- I'm dealing with one between my door and the dash that cause all kinds of wild malfunctions.

Maybe an independent shop can help trace the source of the water intrusion? Sometimes there are specialty shops that can literally put your car in a rain shower and look for leaks.

Back in the day, they used to sell aerosol cans of ignition dryer -- it would dry out wet connections and somehow preserve/protect them -- this goes back to the days when most cars had distributor caps and points that needed to stay dry -- not sure if they still sell such stuff. If so, it could help if you liberally applied to the locking mechanism electronics and grease to all other moving parts.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to find a service bulletin that describes the issue I'm having perfectly. Hopefully Mazda will come through on this one! Thanks again for your reply!

Back