VW TDIs and DieselGate

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white
I see several forum members here who have mentioned their VW TDIs and I was curious as to how many VW owners have sold their TDIs and replaced it with a CX-5?

Our buyback was 11/29 on a 2012 JSW and we picked up our CX-5 the following week.

So far so good.

Count me in.....(2thumbs) Turned in our 2015 Jetta in early December, sure going to miss the mileage though....... Bought our GT about ten days before turn in as the mazda dealer, who I already had worked out a deal with, called and offered another $1000 off if I came and got it that day.......done son!

So far, very happy with the GT, drives nice, fit and finish are great, and my bad back are loving the heated seats. At first, I thought the radio controls in the center console were a bit hoaky but, after a few weeks, I really like it. I wish my truck had them.

Sam

Not a former TDI owner, but we came from VW before going MAzda.

Wife's Jetta inline5 2.5l to CX-5. No comparison the CX-5 is better although I do miss VW's quieter interior. Cross shopped Tiguan but the CX-5 was better (this was in 2012).

My old 2013 VW CC 2.0T. Excellent car. The rear door entry was narrow plus the car was already on sport suspension. A real hassle once we had a baby. I miss the instant max torque at 1500 rpm or so plus the quite interior on smooth roads. Not missing all the cheap plastics and rattles heard on bumpy roads. Cross shopped 4-door cars with ample rear seating. Accord-Passat-Gti-Mazda6. Ended up with Mazda6.

Been driving liquid-cooled VW/Audis since '73 and VW diesels since '77. Our '11 Golf TDI is parked awaiting a mid-January buyback. We recently sold our '15 CX-5 Touring and bought a Volvo V60 CC to replace both vehicles.

Last edited:
New member here. Count me on this thread as well. 2014 Golf TDI. Absolutely love the car. However my needs are changing (adult life) and the golf doesn't make sense for me anymore. Heck I'm using car mod money to buy a washer and dryer for my apartment - WHO AM I?!?!? Lol. My TDI was modded pretty heavily so to be able to get my money back on those mods made the buyback hard to turn down. After really looking at it I didn't use the performance those mods gave me that often.

Test drove several CUVs and the Mazda definitely stuck out. I could tell that I was driving larger vehicle but it wasn't a land yacht but I could still push it when the urge struck. I'm planning to completing the buyback in the spring. I'm hoping to get a good deal on a fully loaded 2016.5 Touring model. I don't like leather seats and the roads in PA suck so smaller wheels ride a bit better over them IMO.

The TDI community was awesome and it looks like Mazda had a equally awesome community that I'm looking forward to becoming a part of. Though I've decided no mods on the CX5 aside from maybe better tires when the OEMs are done. I learned my lesson with the TDI. LOL

Last edited:
My plan is to turn in my 2011 Golf on January 13th, have the Mazda dealer pick me up at the VW dealer and drive home in a new cx5. Hoping the incentives in mid January at least similar to one's available at the end of 2016.

New member here. Count me on this thread as well. 2014 Golf TDI. Absolutely love the car. However my needs are changing (adult life) and the golf doesn't make sense for me anymore. Heck I'm using car mod money to buy a washer and dryer for my apartment - WHO AM I?!?!? Lol. My TDI was modded pretty heavily so to be able to get my money back on those mods made the buyback hard to turn down. After really looking at it I didn't use the performance those mods gave me that often.

Test drove several CUVs and the Mazda definitely stuck out. I could tell that I was driving larger vehicle but it wasn't a land yacht but I could still push it when the urge struck. I'm planning to completing the buyback in the spring. I'm hoping to get a good deal on a fully loaded 2016.5 Touring model. I don't like leather seats and the roads in PA suck so smaller wheels ride a bit better over them IMO.

The TDI community was awesome and it looks like Mazda had a equally awesome community that I'm looking forward to becoming a part of. Though I've decided no mods on the CX5 aside from maybe better tires when the OEMs are done. I learned my lesson with the TDI. LOL

Have you looked at mods?

I'll miss being able to hook up the VCDS (http://www.ross-tech.com/) to the JSW and make changes/diagnose issues. Too bad there isn't a system like that for the Mazda. I'll also miss the great fuel economy in the VW. I got 46 mpg on the way to the buyback!

+5. Buy back 18th next month (2012 Golf). Been a long, tedious process but by the numbers. My situation was the quickest to be resolved (clear title and $$). What surprised me the most was the only vehicle specific question they asked about was the mileage...period. Nothing else apparently mattered to them. I decided early on to split the sheets w/VW and start looking. I settled on a compact suv and eye balled the Tiguan pretty good, but they are pricey and 2017 was a model update for them. Ended up a coin toss between the CX and the Tuscon. I started at Mazda and never made to Hyundai. I've gotten used to the rather mundane power of a gasser as compared to the tdi but all in all it was a good call.

Have you looked at mods?

No and that's intentionally. Lol. I'm saving money to buy a house so if I don't know mods exist i can't be tempted to buy them. Perhaps as items wear out I'll replace them with upgraded equipment but the only thing I plan to do as soon as I buy it is have the windows tinted.

I'm not following this buyback thing. You guys/girls, have to sell them back to VW?
My previous car it was, a 08' VW Rabbit. I don't feel much difference, between that and this car. Specially, with lowered CX5.
The MPGs are even better, with the CX5.

I'm not following this buyback thing. You guys/girls, have to sell them back to VW?
My previous car it was, a 08' VW Rabbit. I don't feel much difference, between that and this car. Specially, with lowered CX5.
The MPGs are even better, with the CX5.
You can get it fixed or sell it back. No one is getting it fixed since vw is paying a lot. Many owners will make a ton of profit.

Heard of a guy who stripped his vw since contract says running condition only, vw may refuse his claim. Otherwise the buyback program is slow and has impacted folks who bought a 2nd car and now are making two car payments.

Yep, count me in. Appointment with VW is Jan 11 to give back the Jetta. I LOVED that car but can't bring myself to give VW any more money. A 2016 CX-5 GT came up at Manheim auction last week, so I snagged it as my replacement. Very happy with it so far.

I have read the headlines, but I did not read about, since I never had a TDI. It's been over 3 years, since I have sold my VW.

At first, I thought the radio controls in the center console were a bit hoaky but, after a few weeks, I really like it. I wish my truck had them.

I love the center control, it just feels natural to reach down and raise/lower the volume. I know it's nitpicky, but it's one of the little things I wish BMW would do.

My plan is to turn in my 2011 Golf on January 13th, have the Mazda dealer pick me up at the VW dealer and drive home in a new cx5. Hoping the incentives in mid January at least similar to one's available at the end of 2016.

dang that's harsh!

I had a MKIV Jetta, not a bad car, but couldn't get the CEL to go off, and couldn't get it fixed in Germany. I figured if ze germans couldn't fix it, no way was I going to bring it back to the states. I'm back in Germany now and see it on base avery now and then, the owner tells me the CEL is still on. LOL

Yup we had a 2013 JSW TDI and i sold it back last month. Picked up a 14 cx5 through beepi in september.

mileage is of course not as good but overall i like it. done with VW for life though.

Same here - we had a 2012 Golf TDI, sold back in December. I love the Golf - fun and practical - but decided to give VW a break for them to get their house back in order. First thought about replacing the TDI with a Mazda 3, but wanted something with higher ground clearance so got a FWD Touring CX-5.

Back