Miata RF begins shipping with dyed plastic exterior panels

craigo

Contributor
:
2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/atclen/news_en/15mk/122101034/?P=1

The Roadster RF's exterior stylish parts using the unpainted plastic are a "quarter garnish" and "side garnish," which are conventionally made by painting ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene) resin.

By replating (probably meant replacing) the ABS resin with the unpainted plastic, Mazda achieved a texture quality higher than that of painted ABS resin (rich color and mirror-like smoothness). The weather resistance and scratch resistance of the unpainted plastic-based exterior parts are equivalent to those of exterior parts using painted ABS resin.

Article also says the CX-9 uses this, but I was unable to find where exactly. Maybe window garnish? Apparently this plastic can be dyed in any color instead of painting which could make bumper scrapes much less visible.

If you recall Saturn used plastic panels 20 years ago, but they required painting and had issues with heat expansion that required large and unsightly gaps between the panels.

I read that this new bio-plastic can eliminate the need for external spray paint as the material itself is colored like any other plastic. It could be glossy or even transparent and is highly scratch resistant. This could help eliminate chipped paint on bumpers.

That's pretty amazing, can't wait to see how it's used. Seems like it would make a huge deal in terms of expense and repairability.

Very interesting process. Something I plan to closely follow.

GM also used composite panels on the old Fiero and early 90's minivans as well.

I read that this new bio-plastic can eliminate the need for external spray paint as the material itself is colored like any other plastic. It could be glossy or even transparent and is highly scratch resistant. This could help eliminate chipped paint on bumpers.

It's easier on the assembly line as well. Saturn had their own factory built for them and it included a second lower temperature paint line for the plastic side panels because they would warp in the metal paint's heat booth. For other factories, this kind of retooling of the assembly line made it too expensive to implement.

Back