CX-5 sold in USA vs International versions

mikefly562

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Just out of curiosity, why do cars sold in the USA lag features that are available in other countries. For example, I'm noticing that the CX-5 sold in Australia has more features than the CX-5 in the USA, such as reverse smart city braking, I-Stop, etc. It's not just Mazda, but nearly all manufacturers put more features in their cars that are sold in other countries, but not in USA versions. This is the same with my Prius as well, in which international versions have turn indicators on the side view mirrors, but its not available in USA. I work with people from other countries, and they notice this as well, that the cars sold in the American market has less features. I know cars generally cost less here, so perhaps that is the reason?

That being said, I'm so impressed with how the CX-5 drives, and the comfort is outstanding. The amazing build quality of the interior is practically identical to the Lexus SUVs that I was looking at as well.

Would you pay $40-45k, for a CX5 equipped with all those features? Most likely, that is how much it would cost.

All manufacturers do it, BMWs, Audis and Mercedes in Germany have all kinds of features and models not available in the US. All Japanese auto makers have exclusive models and options for the Japanese market. But it's the same here as well, many US manufacturers have US only vehicles or powertrains. The current mustang is the first mustang to be available worldwide and I don't believe the GT350 is exported anywhere.

Would you pay $40-45k, for a CX5 equipped with all those features? Most likely, that is how much it would cost.
Would you pay $27,670 list price, $4,255 less than current US MSRP, for a brand new 2016.5 Sonic Silver Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with drivers seat memory position、6-way power-adjustable front passenger's seat、all features from US GT Tech Package except Smart City Brake Support、and destination charge? As a bonus you get Unlimited Mileage Warranty! Yes, that's exactly what happened in just north of our good old USA, Canada! Don't we feel we got ripped off by paying more but getting less on CX-5 imported by the same company - Mazda North American Operations?

Australia was mentioned re features and model line up. Mazda seems to package things differently here as they do in every country. I don't you want to check out the Australian model line-up see here:

https://www.mazda.com.au/cars/mazda-cx-5/?nst=0&gclid=CPywq9f__9ACFYFjvAodQwYJdA

I bought a new CX5 diesel AWD in July. Soul red. Its the top of the range model, called the Akera here, and there are no other options you can get because it has them all. Just add accessories such as floor mats tec. The Akera appears to be similar to the US GT model, plus both option packs. Features list standard on the Akera:

* Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH)
* Driver Attention Alert (DAA)
* Forward Obstruction Warning (FOW)
* Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
* Lane-keep Assist System (LAS)
* Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC)
* Side monitor camera
* Smart Brake Support (SBS) forward and reverse
* 19 inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
* Front fog-lamps (LED)
* Power sliding and tilt glass sunroof
* Leather seat trim
* Power adjustable driver and front passenger seat with heating function
* 2-position memory function for driver’s seat
* Premium Bose 231 watt amplifier with 9 speakers
* Front and rear parking sensors
* Auto on/off headlamps
* Front wipers 2-speed with rain-sensing function
* 40/20/40 split-folding rear seats backrest (flat fold) and centre fold down armrest
* Dual-zone climate control*
* Leather wrapped gear shift knob and steering wheel
* Satellite navigation
* Advanced keyless push-button engine start
* Cruise control
* Electric parking brake
* 7-inch full colour touch screen display (MZD Connect)
* Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio capability
* Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
* Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
* Reverse camera

Now the bad news...... buy this car today new and the Mazda Australia recommended drive away price (including registration duty tax etc) is.
A$54,500!!!

Which converts to

US$39,600!!!!!

I was able to pick up a old stock car that was 5 months old but still brand new and undriven, negotiated a deal to drive it away for A$43,500 (US$31,700). Cash. Which was the same price I could get a slightly used or demo GT for.

So happy with that.

You guys have nothing to complain about re car prices!!

The only accessories I wanted were:

Floor mats set - $150 from dealer. Ouch. A friend works for Mazda and picked them up for me trade price $110.

Tow bar. The CX5 is rated to tow 1800kgs here.
The lovely young accessories lady at the dealer once again offered me a super special deal, only $985 fitted! She seemed offended when I remarked that I only wanted the black painted version, not the 18 carat gold plated! Pass.....

So I went after market and a mobile guy came to my house and supplied and fitted new bar, wiring etc ready to go $595. All fully compliant with Australian standards.

Window tinting. Again the lovely Mazda lady offered me a "super special once only deal" of $950 or $1995 including tint, leather treatment and paint protection pack. No thanks! Got the latest type nano film fitted for $355 by my auto club's supplier.

And then I went and bought myself a Meguiars new car kit with Ultimate wax, ultimate car wash, glass cleaner, leather protector and vinyl protector all up $120. The day that I picked up the car, when I got home, I washed it, waxed it, and did the leather and vinyl with protectant.

Last edited:
Many markets have taxes on vehicles based on size or engine displacement. The CX-5 is such that in such markets it is in entry-level luxury territory tax-wise and so features are added.

Things like turn indicators and front bumper sonar are also sometimes dictated by local regulations.

Australia was mentioned re features and model line up. Mazda seems to package things differently here as they do in every country. I don't you want to check out the Australian model line-up see here:

https://www.mazda.com.au/cars/mazda-cx-5/?nst=0&gclid=CPywq9f__9ACFYFjvAodQwYJdA

I bought a new CX5 diesel AWD in July. Soul red. Its the top of the range model, called the Akera here, and there are no other options you can get because it has them all. Just add accessories such as floor mats tec. The Akera appears to be similar to the US GT model, plus both option packs. Features list standard on the Akera:

* Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH)
* Driver Attention Alert (DAA)
* Forward Obstruction Warning (FOW)
* Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
* Lane-keep Assist System (LAS)
* Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC)
* Side monitor camera
* Smart Brake Support (SBS) forward and reverse
* 19 inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
* Front fog-lamps (LED)
* Power sliding and tilt glass sunroof
* Leather seat trim
* Power adjustable driver and front passenger seat with heating function
* 2-position memory function for driver’s seat
* Premium Bose 231 watt amplifier with 9 speakers
* Front and rear parking sensors
* Auto on/off headlamps
* Front wipers 2-speed with rain-sensing function
* 40/20/40 split-folding rear seats backrest (flat fold) and centre fold down armrest
* Dual-zone climate control*
* Leather wrapped gear shift knob and steering wheel
* Satellite navigation
* Advanced keyless push-button engine start
* Cruise control
* Electric parking brake
* 7-inch full colour touch screen display (MZD Connect)
* Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio capability
* Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
* Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
* Reverse camera

Now the bad news...... buy this car today new and the Mazda Australia recommended drive away price (including registration duty tax etc) is.
A$54,500!!!

Which converts to

US$39,600!!!!!

I was able to pick up a old stock car that was 5 months old but still brand new and undriven, negotiated a deal to drive it away for A$43,500 (US$31,700). Cash. Which was the same price I could get a slightly used or demo GT for.

So happy with that.

You guys have nothing to complain about re car prices!!

The only accessories I wanted were:

Floor mats set - $150 from dealer. Ouch. A friend works for Mazda and picked them up for me trade price $110.

Tow bar. The CX5 is rated to tow 1800kgs here.
The lovely young accessories lady at the dealer once again offered me a super special deal, only $985 fitted! She seemed offended when I remarked that I only wanted the black painted version, not the 18 carat gold plated! Pass.....

So I went after market and a mobile guy came to my house and supplied and fitted new bar, wiring etc ready to go $595. All fully compliant with Australian standards.

Window tinting. Again the lovely Mazda lady offered me a "super special once only deal" of $950 or $1995 including tint, leather treatment and paint protection pack. No thanks! Got the latest type nano film fitted for $355 by my auto club's supplier.

And then I went and bought myself a Meguiars new car kit with Ultimate wax, ultimate car wash, glass cleaner, leather protector and vinyl protector all up $120. The day that I picked up the car, when I got home, I washed it, waxed it, and did the leather and vinyl with protectant.

Funny thing about tow ratings - different countries might have exactly the same equipped vehicle but a different tow rating. The US tends to be on the lower side. Why? Because the US doesn't have uniform towing speed limits. So they limit liability by setting a cautious rating in case someone wrecks it while driving a fully loaded trailer at 80 mph.

Would you pay $27,670 list price, $4,255 less than current US MSRP, for a brand new 2016.5 Sonic Silver Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with driver’s seat memory position、6-way power-adjustable front passenger's seat、all features from US GT Tech Package except Smart City Brake Support、and destination charge? As a bonus you get Unlimited Mileage Warranty! Yes, that's exactly what happened in just north of our good old USA, Canada! Don't we feel we got ripped off by paying more but getting less on CX-5 imported by the same company - Mazda North American Operations?

Damn Canadians. Thanks Obama.

Back