Keeping top of dashboard clean - what type of detergant or cleaner is recommended

mikefly562

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Hello..new CX5 GT owner here :) I have a question... the owners manual recommends using a 5% detergent solution for keeping the soft material clean on top of the dashboard....what is a good detergent to use, or how do most people go about keeping the top of the dashboard clean? Being that it is a soft, I don't want to risk staining it or damaging it. Is there any off the shelf premium cleaners that are recommended in lieu of detergent?

Thanks!
-Mike-

I use Armorall Clean Wipes followed by 303 protectant. Does such a good job I rarely have to do anything other than a simple dusting as needed.

I just use dish soap. I avoid any (greasy/shiny) products that dirt and pollen can stick to anywhere inside my car. Same with the leather, except sometimes I put leather lotion on the seating surface area

The top of the dash should only get dusty hence a simple hoover or microfiber to remove the dust should be sufficient. Else a little bit of clothes detergent in warm water. No need to buy expensive car products.

I wouldn't use dish soap. it can dry out the plastics. 303 is a great protectant but doesn't have any cleaning agents in it. If the dash is not dirty or only a bit dirty a dusting with a clean MF towel followed by 303 is a great bet. You can also check out optimum Leather protectant plus, it's very similar to 303 with some light cleaners added in. For heavier cleaning I use Meguiars All purpose cleaner D101 diluted to a 10:1 ratio to clean followed by a protectant, mostly 303. I find the APC cleaner does a great job at getting all the built up grime and oils off the steering wheel and shift knob from the hands. D101 APC can also be mixed to stronger ratios and is great for carpets, engine bay and tires. It truly is an all purpose cleaner. I bought a gallon and it will last a long time.

I use a damp microfibre cloth (water only) to clean it (unless you're eating off of it there is only dust and in my case dog hair that floats around) then use 303 - which I learned about here. I could not find it in Canada and ordered from Amazon - great product and will last a long time.

I only use 303 a couple times a year but wipe it everytime I wash it.

I vacuum and/or use damp cloth mostly. Rarely, Meguiar's interior detailer.
If I see only few specks of dust, I lift them with Swiffer duster.

Thanks all for the great tips! I tried using the Meguiars Interior Detailing, and it's working very well. I'll most likely try the #303 for the exterior plastic trim for added protection.

Damp microfiber towel to remove dust. A few sprays of 303 and wipe it on top of dash. Used on CX-5 dash since new and has no fading and still looks brand new almost 5 years later. If 303 can protect vinyl, plastics, or leather exposed to direct sunlight and saltwater on boats then a car's dash is easy work.

Whatever product you use make sure it doesn't have any silicone or petroleum distillates as they cause cracks.

I wouldn't use dish soap. it can dry out the plastics. You can also check out optimum Leather protectant plus, it's very similar to 303 with some light cleaners added in.

What Ride92 said!! Optimum Protectant Plus (aka Leather Protectant) was designed from the ground up for coated leather (which is what is no 99% of cars these days) and vinyl. It cleans and protects both leather and vinyl with no stickiness left behind to attract dirt.

The leather and vinyl in my 10 year old Passat look almost new and they've never been treated with anything but Optimum Protectant Plus.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-leather-protectant-.html#.WFfn4bnH-78

Back