New to Mazda and the Forum! Detailing question

RichinCincy

:
2016.5 CX5 GT
Guys,

Just picked up a 2016.5 CX 5 GT yesterday, while detailing it getting it ready for winter, I wondered what most folks use on the black plastic trim? I don't want the 'glossy' Armor All look, I just want to keep it from turning gray and nasty.

So far, I love it! I had a CRV as my daily driver, wanted something more fun to drive, the CX5 fit the bill!!!

Thanks in advance!

There's tons of products out there for trim, some better then others. Since your car is brand new I would look at getting a coating put on the car. I used optimum Gloss coat for the entire exterior including the trim. It's basically like a second layer of clear coat and should last about 3 years or so depending on washing regime. The nice thing is you can use it on the trim as well.

Have you applied the CQuartz? How tough was it to apply? I've used Blackfire Crystal Seal, but that's a bit different. (it's not a coating, just a sealer)

I have not used CQuartz on my own vehicles but I have helped apply it before and it is very easy. Use the suede applicators and block, a few drops of product and spread evenly onto the car doing a small section at a time. Wait for most of the product to flash away and use a clean MF towel to even out any high spots. There's great youtube videos on application techniques. I highly recommend coatings.

just make sure the paint is 100% defect free before applying the CQuartz. The coating will not hide any micro scratches or swirls or anything like that. I know it's a new car but I would still claybar the vehicle before application and use an IPA or panel wipe soulution to make sure there's no wax or polish residue on the paint or trim. Might not be a bad idea to polish with a DA and something like Meguiars M205 finishing polish before hand. Meguiars Ultimate polish is also pretty good and available at most stores. of course theres black fire, menzerna, adams and tons of others but I mostly grab the M205 for finishing.

Back