So now we have two CX-5s!

katmar

:
16 CX-5 GT and 13 CX-5 Touring AWD
So after loving my '13 Touring/Tech for the last four+ years, it came time to trade in our other car and get... a shiny new '16.5 GT/Tech/iActive. Can't give a much better endorsement than buying a second CX-5 ;)

I know, I know, the 17s are due out in late spring, but we didn't want to wait that long. So I guess we now have one of the first... and last... versions of this generation.

We've only had it for about 24 hours now, so we're still getting used to it. I'm surprised how different the two cars feel though. The leather seats and bigger engine give the car a rather different "feel" and character versus the '13 Touring.

One minor complaint: why no switched power accessory port in the front? My '13 Touring has one. We use dashcams in our cars, and I assumed I could just plug one into the 16.5 GT, but... nope. I did read the thread about tapping into the HomeLink mirror, but I'm a little hesitant to start playing around with a brand new car.

Overall though, it's a really beautiful, impressive car. Intimidating even, as we're not used to the luxury perks like the leather seats, automated climate controls, heated seats, etc. But I think we're get used to it :)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a03.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a03.jpeg
    620.5 KB · Views: 925
That's a beautiful '16 just like my mother in law's blue reflex one. I drove it, and I swear it drove better with less NVH and faster gripping brakes than my 2014 Mazda 6 GT. You guys will definitely enjoy that! Also, it looks sharp in metallic gray.

are you going to mod one now?

LOL... well an installer is going to wire in a third-party remote starter for me in about an hour, so does that count? Never had one before. Can't wait. We live in a condo, which means a parking lot, which means scraping and cleaning the car off most Winter mornings. No fun.

Having two CX-5s with similar colors is definately a bit boring, but we really love the gray on the '13 and the color seems to go really well with the newer silver/black GT wheels.

It's definately quieter in the cabin versus the '13. Not that the '13 is loud, but the 16.5 is even quieter. It also has like 45,000 less miles lol, so that might help too ;)

Really curious how the MPGs will play out. I realize the built-in MPG gauge probably isn't super accurate, but the '13 has always shown around 30-32 mpg in mixed driving. It was fun filling it up and seeing it say "460 miles remaining" range.

Now if I can just get that dashcam wired in again, I'll be good :)

Thanks, everyone!

LOL... well an installer is going to wire in a third-party remote starter for me in about an hour...

Update on the starter: The dealer recommended we have the remote starter installed by a third-party they work with. They did it in the parking lot, only taking 20 minutes or so.

I'm new to this remote start thing - I thought they all came with their own remotes, meaning I'd have to carry a second one around with me.

But no, this starter works with the Mazda remote. You just press Lock, Unlock, Lock in quick sequence and the car starts. Couldn't be easier, and no second remote to carry around. The side marker lights flash every few seconds to let you know it's running and the car shuts off (to prevent theft) when door is opened. Very cool!

And Sport Mode! Do you guys use it much? Waaaaay too much fun. I feared it was a gimmick, but wow... not a gimmick at all. I'm used to putting my 2013 into Manual Mode whenever I know I'll need to dart around a stopped FedEX truck (etc.), but Sport Mode gives about the same instant response.

Update on the starter: The dealer recommended we have the remote starter installed by a third-party they work with. They did it in the parking lot, only taking 20 minutes or so.

I'm new to this remote start thing - I thought they all came with their own remotes, meaning I'd have to carry a second one around with me.

But no, this starter works with the Mazda remote. You just press Lock, Unlock, Lock in quick sequence and the car starts. Couldn't be easier, and no second remote to carry around. The side marker lights flash every few seconds to let you know it's running and the car shuts off (to prevent theft) when door is opened. Very cool!

And Sport Mode! Do you guys use it much? Waaaaay too much fun. I feared it was a gimmick, but wow... not a gimmick at all. I'm used to putting my 2013 into Manual Mode whenever I know I'll need to dart around a stopped FedEX truck (etc.), but Sport Mode gives about the same instant response.

What was the cost of the starter

Wait, we're going to need more details on this remote starter you received. So, you're able to start your cx5 with the factory key fob that came with the car? As far as I know there are only two versions. The traditional remote start BUT you must carry a second additional key fob that has a little screen on it. The second system being the MMS one where you use your phone and have to pay a monthly fee after the first year.

So what do you have?? Can you upload a video or something of you doing it? I am extremely curious here as I have been interested in getting a remote start system but the two offerings that I know of(factory systems) aren't the greatest. But if you're using the factory key fob, it has to be a factory remote system. Please update on these details! Thanks so much.

Wait, we're going to need more details on this remote starter you received. So, you're able to start your cx5 with the factory key fob that came with the car? As far as I know there are only two versions. The traditional remote start BUT you must carry a second additional key fob that has a little screen on it. The second system being the MMS one where you use your phone and have to pay a monthly fee after the first year.

So what do you have?? Can you upload a video or something of you doing it? I am extremely curious here as I have been interested in getting a remote start system but the two offerings that I know of(factory systems) aren't the greatest. But if you're using the factory key fob, it has to be a factory remote system. Please update on these details! Thanks so much.

It's actually a third-party system, not OEM from Mazda - but the dealer actually sold it to us ($440 installed) as part of the overall purchase of the car. I don't even know what brand it is - unsual for me, as I'm kinda obsessive about these things, but the car purchase all happened rather quickly.

I'm assuming they installed a chip that watches the incoming signals from the OEM remote. If it sees the proper sequence, it starts (or stops) the car. Clever, huh? No need to modify the Mazda fob or have a second remote. First time I've heard of such a thing.

My fear was it wouldn't include the safety features like stopping the engine when the door is opened. But as far as I can tell, it behaves like the OEM remote. Just cheaper and no second remote to carry.

The installer showed up at my work the Monday after purchase and installed it in the parking lot. Took all of 20 minutes or so.

Nice!

Welcome to the double Mazda Club!

We almost ended up with 2 of them in our driveway also, but the wife did not want to "...be the ones in the neighborhood that had 2 identical cars".

Being a student of the scientific method, I would love to see you swap the tires/wheels between yours, and then compare the cabin noise and feel. (detect)

Do you think you could find out what brand/model you got? This sounds like a great system and I'd be interested in putting it on my wife's CX-5. Thanks friend!

It's actually a third-party system, not OEM from Mazda - but the dealer actually sold it to us ($440 installed) as part of the overall purchase of the car. I don't even know what brand it is - unsual for me, as I'm kinda obsessive about these things, but the car purchase all happened rather quickly.

I'm assuming they installed a chip that watches the incoming signals from the OEM remote. If it sees the proper sequence, it starts (or stops) the car. Clever, huh? No need to modify the Mazda fob or have a second remote. First time I've heard of such a thing.

My fear was it wouldn't include the safety features like stopping the engine when the door is opened. But as far as I can tell, it behaves like the OEM remote. Just cheaper and no second remote to carry.

The installer showed up at my work the Monday after purchase and installed it in the parking lot. Took all of 20 minutes or so.

I am interested in this, please share what manufacturer or company that does this?

I am interested in this, please share what manufacturer or company that does this?

Still trying to find out ;)

I shall report my findings as soon as I know.

I've seen a few other threads around here mentioing third-party remote starts that us the three-button-presses sequence via the OEM remote, so it's apparently not as unusual as I thought.

Crazy age to live in... I'm still trying to figure out the logic of opening the passenger side door by pressing the button on the door handle... and I've done something wrong a few times and ended up starting the car instead, lol.

I miss roll-up windows sometimes. Column shifters. High beam buttons you stepped on. Radio knobs.

Still trying to find out ;)

I shall report my findings as soon as I know.

I've seen a few other threads around here mentioing third-party remote starts that us the three-button-presses sequence via the OEM remote, so it's apparently not as unusual as I thought.

Crazy age to live in... I'm still trying to figure out the logic of opening the passenger side door by pressing the button on the door handle... and I've done something wrong a few times and ended up starting the car instead, lol.

I miss roll-up windows sometimes. Column shifters. High beam buttons you stepped on. Radio knobs.

High beam buttons you step on?!? Oh man I'm not that old lol. My first car was a 1992 accord and it was 13 years old already when I got it. I guess I've been spoiled by technology for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back