scheduled maintenance

:
Charlottesville
:
2016 CX-5
Hi, I'm an owner of a 2016 GT Tech with about 13000 miles. I'm rotating the tires myself every 5K and performed oil changes at 5K and 12.5K with genuine Mazda filter and moly oil. What mile maintenance is the one that should definitely be performed at the dealer?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm an owner of a 2016 GT Tech with about 13000 miles. I'm rotating the tires myself every 5K and performed oil changes at 5K and 12.5K with genuine Mazda filter and moly oil. What mile maintenance is the one that should definitely be performed at the dealer?

Thanks!

Depends on the region/dealer. There's a breakdown of the schedule based on region/environment in the manual. Dealers in my region recommends oil changes at 5k/6 months. I usually change my oil at 7k miles.

What mile maintenance is the one that should definitely be performed at the dealer?
You should follow the maintenance schedule stated in your owner's manual, not the schedule from your Mazda dealer! Since you have a 2016, make sure to turn on your oil life monitor by selecting "Flexible" OCI based on Schedule 1 Flexible Maintenance Schedule on Oil Change. With Flexible OCI your Maintenance Monitor shows "%" of your oil life left, and you change oil when "Oil change due" message is displayed. It gives your OCI up to 12 months or 10,000 miles. With Mazda moly oil and OEM oil filter, this is the best to stretch longer OCI than dealer suggested 4,000~5,000 miles while you won't have any oil-related warranty concerns. I personally change oil earlier than Maintenance Monitor indicated and reset the oil life monitor to start over after each oil change.

Thanks!

Depends on how handy you are. My car has over 70,000 miles and has never been to the dealer or any other service place. I do it all myself and I'm up to date on all maintenance requirements. Nothing HAS to be done at the dealer.

Depends on how handy you are. My car has over 70,000 miles and has never been to the dealer or any other service place. I do it all myself and I'm up to date on all maintenance requirements. Nothing HAS to be done at the dealer.

nice!
question: at 70,000 miles have you changed your transmission, front transfer case, rear differential oils ?
also spark plugs coming up @ 80K right ?

You should follow the maintenance schedule stated in your owner's manual, not the schedule from your Mazda dealer! Since you have a 2016, make sure to turn on your oil life monitor by selecting "Flexible" OCI based on Schedule 1 Flexible Maintenance Schedule on Oil Change. With Flexible OCI your Maintenance Monitor shows "%" of your oil life left, and you change oil when "Oil change due" message is displayed. It gives your OCI up to 12 months or 10,000 miles. With Mazda moly oil and OEM oil filter, this is the best to stretch longer OCI than dealer suggested 4,000~5,000 miles while you won't have any oil-related warranty concerns. I personally change oil earlier than Maintenance Monitor indicated and reset the oil life monitor to start over after each oil change.

I'm trying to set my new CX-5s OCI to the flexible option but that option is grayed out. What's up with that?

I'm trying to set my new CX-5s OCI to the flexible option but that option is grayed out. What's up with that?
You have to turn the power on with all the indicators, but before engine getting started. Then get into Maintenance Monitor from infotainment system and Oil Change tab. Now you should be able to change it to Flexible.

Yes - the manual is not entirely clear on how to set the monitor. Ignition on but engine off:

Turn the ignition to the ON position
by pushing the START/STOP
ENGINE button twice without pushing the clutch or brake pedal.

Now you should be able to get into the application and make changes.

Thanks guys. I was trying to set the OCI from the ACC position. Now I know better and I should have known this because on other cars that I've had with this type of monitor they had to have the ignition on as well.

Nice, I hope I can continue the same tradition with our 2014 CX-5. I've had my Integra for 15.5 years and put 270K miles on it myself, and it has never once been to a shop other than for alignments, or a couple of times for body work. Same with my wife's old Corolla from when we were married in 2007 up until August of this year. But I don't have much experience on more modern vehicles. Hopefully our 2014 isn't too "technical" or requires too many specialized tools to keep up with its maintenance any any repairs that come up.

Back