Installing switches in the control panel???

SilverSteel

:
2016 CX-5 Sport
I want to add interior accent lights and floodlights to my CX-5. However, keeping the vehicle looking stock is really important to me. The problem I'm having is figuring out how to put clean looking switches in the car.

My primary target is the TCS/TPMS pannel (where the dash dimmer and other feature control toggles normally live)
b7582905_19.jpg

I have 4 empty slots that I would like to use. I cant find replacement buttons or aftermarket switches to put in there. Also, I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove this. In fact, I don't know what its called, so that has made my searches rather fruitless.

Does anyone know what this is called, or know how to remove it (for modification)?
What other solutions have people used to install aftermarket switches in their car?

Thanks In advance!

If it were me, I would use the blank switch areas, and install switches there, such as the extra switches that they have in the CX-5 in other Trims here or in countries besides the US. These same switches also used in the other skyactiv cars like the Mazda3 and Mazda6 in case you wanted to look for them used in salvage yards as well.

Here is a pic from a loaded AUSSIE CX-5

2012-Mazda-CX-5-AWD-SUV-front-buttons.jpg

This following pic shows a 2014 Mazda3 panel, a little diff, but another possibility for your particular install.
$_1.JPG

Whenever I am curious how something pops out or is fastened to a car, I like to see if I can find a pic of the same item on ebay or google to check out the numerous pics and hopefully find an angle or back side pic that shows where and what clips, snaps, tabs, bolt holes, etc., are holding that part on.. But like you said, sometimes it can be hard to figure out what name they are calling the part. :)

$_1.JPG

or here is a link to a switch panel for sale, lots of nice pics...

http://picclick.ca/13-14-15-Mazda-Cx-5-Dash-Traction-Control-131933322170.html

Last edited:
I want to add interior accent lights and floodlights to my CX-5. However, keeping the vehicle looking stock is really important to me. The problem I'm having is figuring out how to put clean looking switches in the car.

My primary target is the TCS/TPMS pannel (where the dash dimmer and other feature control toggles normally live)
b7582905_19.jpg

I have 4 empty slots that I would like to use. I cant find replacement buttons or aftermarket switches to put in there. Also, I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove this. In fact, I don't know what its called, so that has made my searches rather fruitless.

Does anyone know what this is called, or know how to remove it (for modification)?
What other solutions have people used to install aftermarket switches in their car?

Thanks In advance!
Hi @SilverSteel, have you considered to use capacitive (touchless) switches? It would be possible to install them behind the plastic cover. Capacitive switches work well up to 3-4 mm of gap (plstic, crystal, etc). Capacitive switches can be used in on/off mode or regulation mode (to regulate led light intensity). I think It is a simple way to install a switch without modifying the external appearance of the car.. In aliexpress you can find both types...

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi @SilverSteel, have you considered to use capacitive or inductive (touchless) switches? It would be possible to install them behind the plastic cover. Capacitive switches work well up to 3-4 mm of gap (plstic, crystal, etc). Inductive switches provide higher distances, up 10mm. Capacitive switches can be used in on/off mode or regulation mode (to regulate led light intensity). I think It is a simple way to install a switch without modifying the external appearance of the car.. In aliexpress you can find both types...

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
Are you referring to this :

10 PCS Fotek Proximity Sensor Switches PL-05N 5mm NPN out DC10-30V Normal Open NEW Free Shipping
http://s.aliexpress.com/zQN3ayUB
(from AliExpress Android)

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

I would probably install some regular switches, on the top part of that little coin cubby. They won't be visible.

Back