looking for used CX-5.. common issues to look for when purchasing private party?

grave

:
4RUNNER
i searched the first few pages of the forum and didn't see a thread like this anywhere, so i thought i would start one.

we're looking to pick up a used CX-5 to replace my wife's 13-year-old buick century (couch on wheels) that is on its way out. what are common issues to be aware of when looking for these cars on the used market? haven't seen too many private party listings on craigslist, only dealer sales.

what are the big differences in trim levels? features that people like and don't like? if there are existing threads with all this info, i apologize for starting a new thread and appreciate any info.

thanks!

Hey we just bought our 2014 Touring back at the beginning of August. It had about 53K miles on it when we got it. And like you it also replaced my wife's very old, used, piece of junk car, a 96 Toyota Corolla that I had just replaced the head gasket, and I just couldn't keep it running right after that.

We bought ours from a local Mazda dealer, and it was very clean, and a great price. One thing I did neglect to look at before the purchase was tire condition. Rookie mistake. This was our first real car purchase for both of us, and definitely first time buying from a dealer. Anyway, the stock Yoko Geolander tires were pretty much done when we bought it. So that was $500 I had to drop almost immediately on new tires and alignment. Cabin air filter was also super dirty, but that was a cheap, easy fix. Other than that I can't really think of any issues.

MAKE SURE YOU GET 2 KEYS!!! We only got one from the dealer, and we've already had to call a locksmith to open the car after my wife locked the key fob inside the car, because ours won't prevent the doors from being locked with the switch when the car is off, and the key is inside the car.

Which year are you looking for?
13 14 15 or 16.5?

I have a 16.5 and here are my thoughts:
Touring has BSM + power seats + RCTA features i valued. Plus I was not going to spend beyond a budget.
I have the bose and moon roof - skip this if you are a value buyer.
Tech package if offered stand alone would be a good to have.

Sport is very basic and has no packages to add on.

GT has 19 wheels so stiffer ride - good looks though. Leather and iactive package - read up the packages and if you like them. It has ton of features. Imo this is the best selling trim contrary to Rav4 having XLE as their best.

What i hate about 16.5 are - AC vent chrome linings, center arm rest sucks, cabin is classy but too dark.
Check the windshield for any cracks etc. they seem to be problematic.

Other than that seems it gets quieter if you go from 13 to 16.5 - even my 16.5 on crappy roads is very noisy - so if there are aftermarket tires on what you are looking - check noise rating etc.

I value safety utility and bells n whistles in that order - Would not hesitate to get touring with tech pkg on 16 or 16.5 with 30K or more on the clock assuming thats your range, if buying from dealer see if he can throw in accessories for free if he is not haggling on price, cargo tray and floor mats are good ones imo.

I just bought a 2014 GT with 23K miles about 6 weeks ago. Without knowing more about your specs (year, budget, etc) I would say most buyers would be happy with a 2014 or newer Touring trim. It has a good base set of features (especially coming from a huge Buick) and prices are reasonable. From what I saw, a Touring with the bose/moonroof wont be priced any higher than one without, so if those features are important, keep your eyes open.

If you go with the Sport, it is more basic and pre-2014 will have the smaller engine. Prices on a used Sport model are quite a bit lower than Touring ($3K in many cases) but the car would be fine for someone not needing the creature comforts.

The 2016 and 2016.5 have a new infotainment system that by all accounts is a large improvement over the earlier versions. That being said, the earlier version is fine and issues are only seen sometimes during bluetooth or usb audio playback, although those are largely improved with the replacement of the Bluetooth Module via TSB.

As far as problems go, I am not aware of any chronic issues with the CX5 that have plagued owners with older or higher mileage models.

I just bought a 2014 GT with 23K miles about 6 weeks ago. Without knowing more about your specs (year, budget, etc) I would say most buyers would be happy with a 2014 or newer Touring trim. It has a good base set of features (especially coming from a huge Buick) and prices are reasonable. From what I saw, a Touring with the bose/moonroof wont be priced any higher than one without, so if those features are important, keep your eyes open.

If you go with the Sport, it is more basic and pre-2014 will have the smaller engine. Prices on a used Sport model are quite a bit lower than Touring ($3K in many cases) but the car would be fine for someone not needing the creature comforts.

The 2016 and 2016.5 have a new infotainment system that by all accounts is a large improvement over the earlier versions. That being said, the earlier version is fine and issues are only seen sometimes during bluetooth or usb audio playback, although those are largely improved with the replacement of the Bluetooth Module via TSB.

As far as problems go, I am not aware of any chronic issues with the CX5 that have plagued owners with older or higher mileage models.

<2015 NAV is much superior, I hear.

Latest posts

Back