2014 CX-5 GT - Optima Red Top Battery Replacement

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I just had my vehicle at the dealership last week for it's final free oil change. They told me my battery was only producing 220 CCA (factory new is 440). Decided to just go with the best and get the Optima. The Optima is a shorter battery, therefor the J hooks for the battery tie down are too long now. Has anyone been in this situation? What would you recommend for bushings so I can get the tie down snug with the wing nuts?

Called Optima. The battery was suppose to come with a height adapter which O'Reilly failed to give me. They're shipping one out. Problem solved. If an admin sees this you may delete the post. Thank you!

Ditto, good info.

Car batteries in recent years have become junk IMHO. I've had my Integra for over 15 years and have replaced the battery at least 4, maybe 5 times in that time. Most recently I replaced it just a couple months ago, with barely 3.5 years on the previous battery, and only 30K miles driven in that time! I had another battery fail exactly 3 years to the day, on the exact last day of the warranty. When I went to O'Reilly this time, the only 2 options they had were 2 year or 3 year battery warranties. I swear they used to have 4 or 5 year batteries in the late 90's to early 2000's. Maybe I'm dreaming.

⋯ When I went to O'Reilly this time, the only 2 options they had were 2 year or 3 year battery warranties. I swear they used to have 4 or 5 year batteries in the late 90's to early 2000's. Maybe I'm dreaming.
No, like Donald John Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States, you're not dreaming. There're plenty of 60-month batteries available with 5-year warranty. I have a Honda OEM 100-month battery which carries 100-month warranty! Of course I suspect O'Reilly's 2 or 3-year battery warranty is the replacement warranty. My 100-month Honda battery carries 2-year free replacement warranty, and the rest up to 100 months is the prorated warranty.

Walmart sells a Group 35 640CCA 5-year battery (3 year replacement / 2 year prorated) for $93.00 and change. Its the EverStartMaxx made by Johnson Controls. Likely a mid-tier battery from their manufacturing stock.

I purchased this battery for a leased car before returning it so I can't speak on longevity. That said reading reviews people had it for 6-8 years. Others had it less for 3 years but was replaced free. Personally I'd get a battery at Walmart or even Autozone since there's a ton of them in my region. If my battery dies in the future at least I'm likely to be near a 24-hour SuperWalmart.

I just had my vehicle at the dealership last week for it's final free oil change. They told me my battery was only producing 220 CCA (factory new is 440). Decided to just go with the best and get the Optima. The Optima is a shorter battery, therefor the J hooks for the battery tie down are too long now. Has anyone been in this situation? What would you recommend for bushings so I can get the tie down snug with the wing nuts?

How many miles on your CX-5?

Walmart sells a Group 35 640CCA 5-year battery (3 year replacement / 2 year prorated) for $93.00 and change. Its the EverStartMaxx made by Johnson Controls. Likely a mid-tier battery from their manufacturing stock.

I purchased this battery for a leased car before returning it so I can't speak on longevity. That said reading reviews people had it for 6-8 years. Others had it less for 3 years but was replaced free. Personally I'd get a battery at Walmart or even Autozone since there's a ton of them in my region. If my battery dies in the future at least I'm likely to be near a 24-hour SuperWalmart.

Interesting that you bring up Johnson Controls, not many people know that company outside of southeastern Wisconsin or know that they are a major manufacturer of Automotive batteries worldwide for both OEM and aftermarket. They also have quite a bit involved in the hybrid and start stop battery technology.

Interesting that you bring up Johnson Controls, not many people know that company outside of southeastern Wisconsin or know that they are a major manufacturer of Automotive batteries worldwide for both OEM and aftermarket. They also have quite a bit involved in the hybrid and start stop battery technology.

Yeah I believe JC makes the various Optima Batteries as well as batteries from Interstate.

Back