anyway to get 2016 CX-5 GT Navigation to work with just SD card?

tfalse99

:
Mazda, CX-5 GT
Just bought a 2016.5 CX-5 GT with Tech package.... As you know the 2016.5 GT comes with navigation..... this is my second CX-5 GT.... My other one is a 2016 WITHOUT NAV....... the other day I took out the SD card from the 2016.5 NAV and plugged it into the 2016 just for curiosity/to see if it would work... It did not.... So my question is: anybody have experience with it is at all possible to simply take my SD card from my working 2016.5 with NAV and get it to work in my 2016 without/NAV..... In other words is there may be another option somewhere that I have to enable?

Thanks in advance

I believe and I could be wrong after you drive a certain number of miles the sd card is tied to that specific car. I wouldn't be switching back and forth, might trash the card. FRom manual.....

This SD card is valid for use in only one vehicle. Never use it in another vehicle. If the SD card is used first in one vehicle and then in another, the navigation system for either one of the vehicles may become inoperable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response..... I was also reading about the process of downloading updated maps... They recommend you do a backup of the SD card. Your comment makes me want to do a backup now and create a new SD card to play around with in my other vehicle... Just a thought

Thanks

Once the vehicle travels 100km with the NAV SD card installed, the SD card is then locked to that vehicles vin#, and is unusable in any other vehicle.

You cannot make a backup or do updates until the card is locked to a vin#.

A new card for your older CX5 will run about $200-250 ish on ebay

Last edited:
If sharing/cloning the SD card is that easy, Mazda probably can only sell a handful of them :)

I didn't buy the SD card but installed the Enhanced Compass app instead. It doesn't have navigation but it does display a map with your car position. It's a good enough alternative to Google Maps on my phone, also serves as a backup when the GPS signal for my phone is flaky on cloudy day (the CX-5 has a pretty good external GPS antenna, AKA the shark fin).

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...hanced-compass-application-mazda-connect.html

Back