LED license plate lights

pmill

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Question for those that have replaced their license plate lights. I bought some, but they are longer then the original bulbs. Therefore the plastic housing no longer fits because the bulb is in the way. Bulbs work fine and look great, but I took them out for now because they would be exposed to the elements.

Has anyone else had this issue? If not, what brand have you used that works with the stock housing.

Thanks

Had this issue when I did this on my protege. I had to just get smaller bulbs. I bought mine on ebay, no brand, just china generics. I just looked at the pictures to see how many "rows" of leds there were and ordered the ones I thought would fit.

No issues as I specifically chose the type of LED bulbs with the right dimensions (closest to an incandescent 194/T10) and diodes for adequate lighting.

I use this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) from eBay because they use newer and brighter 5730 rectangular LED chips:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I did install license plate LEDs from the kit - the rightmost one among the 4 in the picture. The size is right and they look nice with white color and aren't brighter than original 5W bulbs. They don't affect the rearview camera during the night like some comment for Amazon kit. I can see the LED lights from screen but no negative impact at all.

I also used two "spare" bulbs for reverse lights. They look much better with white color but the light outputs are not stronger than original 18W 921 bulbs.

I bought a set of lights off eBay several months ago and now my license plate lights are going into crazy strobe mode! Had 2 people wave me down and tell me they liked my Halloween lights. Uhhhhhhh those aren't for Halloween. And now I can notice the strobe affect when backing up. Anyone bought these at an automotive store rather than going the eBay route?

Back