Unsettling oil leaks..

lcann25

:
2014 CX-5
Just doing some cleanup in my garage to get ready for winter and decided to sweep the floor. Noticed oil spots on the ground from both the front AND rear area of my CX-5!! So of course I decided to crawl around with a trouble light and see whats going on. It appears the front leak is coming from the side of the transmission right by the axle, and the rear leak is an inner axle seal on the rear differential. I've never had a brand new car before but for me this doesn't seem right on a 2014 car with just over 29,000miles on it. I've attached a couple pictures. I have my scheduled oil change booked for Friday with Mazda, will bring up these concerns while I'm there and see what they say. Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Attachments

• IMG_6545.jpg
    IMG_6545.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_6547.jpg
    IMG_6547.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 185
I had a ghost leak that didn't return but we'll see if the colder temps of winter bring it back.

Hmmm. Not good. Now I want to pull the pan off and look at mine. I've always noticed a slight burning oil smell in the summer when all the windows are up and the a/c is on. I think something like your issue could definitely cause a burning oil smell. I'm going to take a look tomorrow

The transmission pan on my first transmission started to seep before it was swapped out at 32k miles.

Sounds like my Chrysler. I never could get it to stop leaking. The oil pan was replaced early in its life, and the transmission was worked on more than once. I'd go on and take the Mazda to the dealer and start early, before the bumper-to-bumper is gone.

It's a good example of why "sealed" transmissions with no or poorly accessible dipsticks are a bad idea. Had you not caught this the oil level might have gone down to a destructive level.

Back