Ran into my first issue with my 2016 CX-5 GT (kind of a odd one)

Scythe024

:
'16 CX-5 GT
So on 3 separate ocassions now I have noticed a puddle of water on my passenger floor mat. Luckily I have all weather so it didn't soak into the carpet. The first time it happened I didn't think anything of it. It rained a few days ago, maybe my passanger stepped into a puddle and brought it in. I dried it up. A few days later my bro was riding passanger side and noticed water again. Hmm it hasn't rained in nearly a weak now, puddle is unlikely, but I cleaned it up. Today another few days after the last incident, again water! I can hear it when it happens usually, but not catch it. it's enough water that you can hear it sloshing around. Anyways I checked today and the top part of the foot area was a little wet, so I am guessing it is coming from their, most likely from the A/C.

0ceNcnx.jpg

I called to set a appointment up today, but got the machine. Hopefully it is an easy fix

Some years ago I had the heating element leak water in a Toyota. This eventually caused the engine to overheat.
Please make sure your water level is not dropping.
Like you said, it can also be from the A/C, if the drain is clogged.

-Make sure it's not coolant from the heater core.
-Make sure the sunroof drains are working correctly, if you have a sunroof.

Yes sure looks like your AC condensate tube is blocked somehow... there have been several reports of this lately...

Easiest thing to do is run the car for a few minutes with the A/C, preferably on a warm day. Put the car in park on level ground and look under the front near the passenger side wheel. See if you can see any condensation dripping down. On hot days there should almost be a steady stream. If you see no water than more than likely the drain hose is blocked. If you don't want to bother with it take it to the dealer.

Kind of weird a 16 model would clog up like that. Too new to develop moldy clogs in the drain tube. Perhaps the tube is blocked from outside of the car (underneath). That or an object fell into the tub.

Kind of weird a 16 model would clog up like that. Too new to develop moldy clogs in the drain tube. Perhaps the tube is blocked from outside of the car (underneath). That or an object fell into the tub.

yes I agree. Wondering if a piece of plastic flashing is blocking either up in the drip tray, or perhaps inside the plastic elbow where it exits the car..?

Ran into this issue as well, felt some water collect on the tray below the fan which eventually leaks onto the floor. I'm not parked under any trees or anything so this is kind of weird.
attachment.php

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 817
Check the DIY section on how to remove the blower. (2 wire clips and 3 screws).
I would then inspect inside the inlet connected to the blower with a flashlight. Let us know if you can see the condenser/evaporator coils (sorry always get them confused.) inside that inlet. Said coils could be blocked and/or having ice accumulated thus creating a small pool of water when it melts. Then check if the drain tube is clogged. A product such as KlimaCleaner can keep the aluminum fins clean and help clean out the drain tubes. You may even used a long stick or something to unclog the rubber drain tube.

Check the DIY section on how to remove the blower. (2 wire clips and 3 screws).
I would then inspect inside the inlet connected to the blower. Let us know if you can see the condenser/evaporator coils (sorry always get them confused.) Said coils could be blocked and/or having ice accumulated thus creating a small pool of water when it melts. Then check if the drain tube is clogged. A product such as KlimaCleaner can keep the aluminum fins clean and help clean out the drain tubes. You may even used a long stick or something to unclog the rubber drain tube.

it's under warranty, going to the dealer. 22,000 miles...shouldn't be having this problem.

^ Oh ok. Yeah let dealership handle it. Any issues with your AC not getting cold?

I*m not sure that it*s in the right place for condensate. Has it ever had a windshield?
Replacement? No. Forgot to add that it only happen during heavy rain....could very well be a windshield leak. A/C gets cold. Doesn't that tray look like its designed to catch water?

Last edited:
^ no that's just a cover panel

May want to check next time it occurs again is if the cabin filter is wet. That's the only way air/water could get in externally. Internally, a clogged drain tube could be an issue.

No, cabin filter was dry, big rain was yesterday morning, checked everything yesterday early afternoon.

Do you have moonroof? (guess so due to GT)
If yes, it is likely the drain hole is plugged at the floorpan.
This was a common issue with Mazda '08 CX9.
The Mazda moonroof is designed so that rain could drain all the way down to the underbody thru a hole.
If the hole is somehow plugged by dirt and debris that got into the drain, the water has no where to go but flow into the kick panel.
See if this is the case for you.

So on 3 separate ocassions now I have noticed a puddle of water on my passenger floor mat. Luckily I have all weather so it didn't soak into the carpet. The first time it happened I didn't think anything of it. It rained a few days ago, maybe my passanger stepped into a puddle and brought it in. I dried it up. A few days later my bro was riding passanger side and noticed water again. Hmm it hasn't rained in nearly a weak now, puddle is unlikely, but I cleaned it up. Today another few days after the last incident, again water! I can hear it when it happens usually, but not catch it. it's enough water that you can hear it sloshing around. Anyways I checked today and the top part of the foot area was a little wet, so I am guessing it is coming from their, most likely from the A/C.

0ceNcnx.jpg

I called to set a appointment up today, but got the machine. Hopefully it is an easy fix

you got a clogged AC drain, save yourself some money and time : you can easily fixed yourself, see tomcat1446's thread #19 in this link, he also linked a video from youtube titled "CX-5 water leak" stealerships charge like $175 for this, what a scam, they say they have to remove the dash to get to the AC unit, what BS..

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856340-Unclog-a-c-drain-and-remove-musty-smell-easily/page2

you probably can hear water sloshing sound as you make hard turns, make sure to clamp that rubber tube before you remove it otherwise a whole bunch of water will start pouring into your passenger footwell... see thread#1 in link:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856340-Unclog-a-c-drain-and-remove-musty-smell-easily

get a can of compressed air and zap out any clog in that rubber hose or the white connector on the floor that drains to under your car, confirm by using a squirt bottle and squirt water into the drain tube and make sure it comes out underneath your car.

also, it may be a good idea to get a can of Kool-It from Amazon and spray the coils, to prevent mold and mildew if your drain was clogged.

Last edited:
Ran into this issue as well, felt some water collect on the tray below the fan which eventually leaks onto the floor. I'm not parked under any trees or anything so this is kind of weird.
My guess on your situation is also clogged drain from your AC evaporator. If it's rain related leaks from your windshield、HVAC outside vent inlet、or sunroof drain, you can easily to verify it by hosing water to the suspected areas. AC drain problem can be verified by hearing water sound in the area, or see water leaking out with AC on for a while.

Unfortunately OP didn't post a follow-up after his warranty service 2 years ago.

And I agree such problem shouldn't be happening for a 2-year-old car.

My guess on your situation is also clogged drain from your AC evaporator. If it's rain related leaks from your windshield*HVAC outside vent inlet*or sunroof drain, you can easily to verify it by hosing water to the suspected areas. AC drain problem can be verified by hearing water sound in the area, or see water leaking out with AC on for a while.

Unfortunately OP didn't post a follow-up after his warranty service 2 years ago.

And I agree such problem shouldn't be happening for a 2-year-old car.

If it is truly the drain tube another the best way to test is to turn on the AC. After a few minutes condensation should start dripping out the drain tube. If not then its clogged. You can try to unclog it with a metal hanger or I'd prefer KlimaCleaner type product where the foaming solution helps break down gunk.

Never heard of the KooAid trick LOL.

Back