G-Vectoring, Mazda Chairman Kanai, and other automotive stuff....

I still don't think anyone here knows what "G-Vectoring" is, or at least, how to express it.

In the other thread...

"Mazda finally has an engine responsive enough to do this with"
and
"It doesn't have anything to do with torque"
and in the flier/publications
"reduce and derive optimal torque"

So...from all I've gathered, it's basically GM's PTM except in "daily driver mode".

If that's the case, that's pretty cool. It's nice to see trickle-down technology from the race track and sports cars into daily drivers like the CX-5, that makes a difference. It is, however, a decade old nearly (ZR1 was the first vehicle I am aware of that debut'ed it to the masses, if you can call $100K+ "masses".)

Basically, from what I understand, it will over-ride your driver input from your right foot, based on a myriad of other things. It does not increase absolute limits, but rather takes the human element somewhat out of approaching them, as regards the accelerator.

What confuses me is how it took mazda this long to come up with a 4-banger that responded decent enough when GM did it almost 10 years ago with a 6+ liter supercharged V8 with a lot more internal rotational inertia.

Basically...cool. I think it's great. I think Mazda is closet-shamed about how long it took them to do what GM did/what it really is (which is why all the conflicting info due to their convoluted "explanations" trying to make it sound more grandiose than it really is).

That said, really no shame honestly, as Ferrari, Ford, and others go to GM when they want a suspension. Mazda can admit it. It's ok :p

Seriously though, it's a great tool in the tool box, and a true safety feature (in this application) that should bail people out in the snow. I'd like it for the snow/rain for sure!

Long story short?

Mazda's G-vectoring reduces throttle input, or increases it, minutely, to compensate for changes in traction before the driver can feel them, based on vehicle dynamics and steering position and wheel-slip sensors.

Traction-control Plus.

Last edited:
I wish I had my Chinese go pro when I put my cx5 sideways from a stop turning left a bit ago. Of course the nanny's swerved me left and right as I tried to make it drift at about 120 deg

I wish I had my Chinese go pro when I put my cx5 sideways from a stop turning left a bit ago. Of course the nanny's swerved me left and right as I tried to make it drift at about 120 deg

The nannies are pretty decent in the CX-5, I think. They let you get away with more than I figured.

Long story short?

Mazda's G-vectoring reduces throttle input, or increases it, minutely, to compensate for changes in traction before the driver can feel them, based on vehicle dynamics and steering position and wheel-slip sensors.

Traction-control Plus.

I don't think it increases throttle or uses wheel slip sensor. Cool none the less.

I don't think it increases throttle or uses wheel slip sensor. Cool none the less.

The article says it increases and decreases engine torque. I equate that to throttle (as it must open/close the TB to do it).

Re-reading the article
I guess it's much more rudimentary than PTM, as re-reading the article, it's pretty much an "expert trail braking system" that uses engine torque instead of the brakes to achieve chassis loading.

Mazda has to make the simplest things sound so complicated in this case.

Trailbraking. We now have a computer that does it for you when it senses steering input. It took forever for us to figure it out, and it's kindof exclusive. Yay.-Mazda

I thought G-Vectoring was essentially the ecu engine braking for you in a matter that is both non-intrusive and efficient in terms of correctly clearing a corner (powerwise). You as the driver still need to use the correct angle of entry though.

That said when I take sharp turns I lay off the gas a bit, feel/hear the tires as I'm turning, then smash the pedal just as I straighten the steering wheel out. Something I call Me-Vectoring lol.

I thought G-Vectoring was essentially the ecu engine braking for you in a matter that is both non-intrusive and efficient in terms of correctly clearing a corner (powerwise). You as the driver still need to use the correct angle of entry though.

That said when I take sharp turns I lay off the gas a bit, feel/hear the tires as I'm turning, then smash the pedal just as I straighten the steering wheel out. Something I call Me-Vectoring lol.

I think you are understanding it correctly. I personally prefer more weight transfer than G vectoring is going to give me, as Mazda has designed it. However, for some soccer mom driving in the rain, it's just that much mo betta! Finally Mazda is doing things that matter in a small family CUV vs. "Sport Mode" and other silliness.

G-Vectoring is not like PTM.
I don't know all the details about PTM, but looks like it is a complete traction control system. It will seriously reduce engine power and probably use brakes to individual wheels as well. The system can prevent oversteer and getting the rear from braking traction (and perhaps more). The benefits of PTM are realized when you drive fast through corners, at the edge of traction.

Mazda's G-Vectoring only slightly reduces engine power. does not use brakes. It only makes steering feel more controllable and more predictable. The benefits of G-Vectoring are realized through everyday steering and include also passengers moving less from side to side and less driver fatigue.

Mazda also has traction control system, which does use brakes, reduces power on slippery roads and can even send more power to the back, if you have AWD. This system is not new. Of course, these systems may be sharing some components and sensors.

Back