Looking to purchase this Mazda, thoughts?

Nguyener

:
Hyundai Elantra
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to purchase a Certified Pre-Owned 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT. It has about 10K miles, sunroof, push to start, heated seats, leather seats, back up camera, alloy wheels and more. I am located in NC. The current asking price is $27,890.

What do you think would be a good price to negotiate to?

Thanks!

I got a brand new 2016 cx5 Gt with tech pack this march for $29090, not sure if this helps .

Nguyen you need to give exact specs or details/ If possible build it on the Mazda website and post the feature / packages here. Maybe someone has purchased a pre-owned Certified here that can help.

Is it FWD or AWD? Does it come with Tech Package and / or i-ActivSense Package? A friend of mine bought a 2016 CX-5 FWD GT with Tech new for $27,500 before TTL including $500 Mazda Loyalty cash back.

Try negotiating in about a week near the end of the month. If patient you can also wait till December and you can get a new 2016 model on sale.

Is it FWD or AWD? Does it come with Tech Package and / or i-ActivSense Package? A friend of mine bought a 2016 CX-5 FWD GT with Tech new for $27,500 before TTL including $500 Mazda Loyalty cash back.
That is 10.2 % off MSRP - a solid deal. More so if the color combination he wanted was in low supply.
If i take the discount I got and applied to that car - I would have bought it for 26,700 - And i was not qualified for Loyalty Bonus.
But GTs are selling faster than Sport / Touring - at least from dealer lots I think they are.

AWD, Tech Package.

Would also like to note they've had it on the lot for 120+ days. Not sure if this matters or not.

Last edited:
I just bought a 2015 GT with 46k miles. Almost perfect condition, inside/out.
It was actually driven for 1year 7months according to Carfax.

Sticker on that is around $32K right? If so, I would say that price is maybe a bit high, although your best leverage is the fact that it has been on the lot for 4 months. That is a LOOOONG time for a used car to sit, especially one that new.

I'd buy it. Sounds like it's full of nguyen!

Seriously, negotiate it as low as you can go. I usually try to cut through the crap. The sales person's time is valuable, and the Tower is playing a power-game with the peon (you) on the lot.

My goal: Figure out the margin that is acceptable to them. They know EXACTLY how much they need to make on said vehicle to break even with their investment in it.

If it has been on the lot for 90+ days, you have a good bit of leverage. before 30 days, if it's near the end of the month, and the dealer is low on sales, you also might have leverage. Early in the month/mid month with less than 30 lot days? They are probably going to tell you to screw off unless they are a massive, high-volume dealer and only care about #'s moved.

They likely are not, given that you're in NC. most high-vol dealers like that are in Cali, etc. Huge economic centers.

Anyway, sales people gotta eat, business gotta run. Used cars are THE PLACE THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY (on the front of the house, anyway).

So...like I said, if you can get them to tell you what they have in it, rock on. I usually break the above down for them Barney style, and ask "Look, how much do you want to make so that we can shake hands after this deal is done and both feel like we won, here?" We agree on a number they think is viable, and then I ask to see the numbers. All of them, and then pay them above their investment by that much.

If THAT works, it's 20 minutes of their time, and they make $100's per hour, by the clock. Killer deal, really. I loved those kinds of deals. Minimal dickering, and the less dickering, the better the dealer and customer like each other when it's over, too!

If that does NOT work...

I hem and haw over the monthly, then over the total amount, then over this, then over that, then I find a flaw in the paint, and in general am a pain in the ass, ramping up as the day wears on. What happens then is the sales and management feel like they have "invested" half the damn day in you (you have to let them know you're "real". Typically allowing them to run your credit, or you presenting them with an Equifax that you ran is sufficient, or if you have a career that has a pretty set category, such as Doctor, NP, RN, etc. it works just as well. Anyway, you become more and more pedantic as they day wears on, and they "Just want to sell the damn thing, fine!" and you can be reasonably sure after a whole day whittling, that you've either gotten them to $500-750 total profit, or that they got the vehicle FOR A STEAL and you still ended up with a great deal, they just played dirty with the guy who traded it in last.

Anyway, that's my .02, having sold cars for a Ford dealer for a year or so before college.

AWD, Tech Package.

Would also like to note they've had it on the lot for 120+ days. Not sure if this matters or not.

Just saw this, and hell yes it matters! You roll in there any time after the 25th of this month, and they are going to want to play ball for sure! Even tomorrow they might well chomp at the bit to get it off the lot!

Try negotiating in about a week near the end of the month. If patient you can also wait till December and you can get a new 2016 model on sale.

This might actually be a much more viable solution, and new cars are never a money-maker hardly, so they won't fight so hard with you. They will just want "old" inventory GONE.

As much as everyone loves CX-5 's here, not sure it is the most popular car around. I saw many used vehicles sitting for a long time. Now it says also that the prices were too high.
I'd expect to pay more like $25k for a car like that.

As much as everyone loves CX-5 's here, not sure it is the most popular car around. I saw many used vehicles sitting for a long time. Now it says also that the prices were too high.

It's definitely not. THis is for many reasons, and we could hash them out endlessly, but overwhelmingly it is objectively shown and subjectively stated, that the CX-5 is a heck of a little CUV.

Mazda CX-5 USA sales figures

2012 43.319
2013 79.544
2014 99.122
2015 111.450

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/mazda/mazda-cx-5/

Their US sales figures since 2012 has since nearly tripled. I guess its popularity is regional. I notice more CX-5s at my work parking lot and commute to work. I also seen a noticeable amount of CX-5's in Socal. I recall my dealership stating they were selling like hotcakes. Not sure if they were just saying that? I recently checked my dealership's inventory and it includes only 2 used 2014 CX-5s which were either lease or trade in returns based on their mileage. They have about 70 2016 CX-5 models on the lot. No 2015 models at all. I recall this dealership to be very busy in sales during Decembers. So from now (Last part of October) through December I'm sure they're going to try to knock that 2016 inventory down to maybe 10-15? The latter part of December and January is when I would negotiate hard for a new loaded 2016 model. Its a big big deal especially for a small Mazda dealership network to sell those remaining 2016 models to meet their quarter and end of year goals.

Last edited:
Mazda CX-5 USA sales figures

2012 43.319
2013 79.544
2014 99.122
2015 111.450

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/mazda/mazda-cx-5/

Their US sales figures since 2012 has since nearly tripled. I guess its popularity is regional. I notice more CX-5s at my work parking lot and commute to work. I also seen a noticeable amount of CX-5's in Socal. I recall my dealership stating they were selling like hotcakes. Not sure if they were just saying that? I recently checked my dealership's inventory and it includes only 2 used 2014 CX-5s which were either lease or trade in returns based on their mileage. They have about 70 2016 CX-5 models on the lot. No 2015 models at all. I recall this dealership to be very busy in sales during Decembers. So from now (Last part of October) through December I'm sure they're going to try to knock that 2016 inventory down to maybe 10-15? The latter part of December and January is when I would negotiate hard for a new loaded 2016 model. Its a big big deal especially for a small Mazda dealership network to sell those remaining 2016 models to meet their quarter and end of year goals.

Mazda is very popular in my area. This is possibly due to the fact that we have an awesome dealership here and based on how I have been treated by them, they generate a lot of loyalty.

CX-5 is a significant offering in the Mazda line up. Good to see the sales are strong, 2nd Gen will be very crucial for Mazda.

In terms of numbers
1 CX-5 sells
for every 2 Grand Cherokee
for every 1.4 Subaru Outback and every 1.4 Forester
for every 3 or so Rogue Rav4s CRVs

All numbers are approx based on memory for YTD numbers till June or July 16.
It still sells short of Santa Fe but that is sort of a different size altogether. even two row is large and its mpg / power is different.
For a car that has been around for 4-5 years that is an impressive number. Look at XC90 and how it is still struggling to get a hold in USA. also see Volkswagen struggling to even sell its SUVs.
On Volkswagen - a hillarious quote on Jalopnik about buying them after diesel gate:

There are people out there who owned a first-generation Volkswagen Touareg — the Touareg that would turn off its headlights when another Touareg was approaching because it mistook the other Touareg’s headlights for the sun — and went right out and bought a second Touareg later. And there are thousands of these people.

Latest posts

Back