Seat Swapping

4G63T

:
2018 Tiguan SE AWD Mitsubishi Evolution 2003
Im contemplating getting CX-5 Grand Touring heated front leather seats. I currently have the 2016 Sport with cloth seats. I actually am starting to dislike the cloths and manual function. The rear cloth seat is nice and soft but the fronts are kind of just ok, plus I want the oem heated functionality (regardless if some reported it doesnt warm up as much as expected).

Would the GT seats electrical harness be complete plug and play with the Sport harness ? I know it will bolt right up but all functions of the seat (except heating) will work plug and play ?

Also as for getting the heated seats functionality to work, can i simply install the GT Climate Control panel with the heated seat buttons (plug and play) ? Will my Sport model become dual zone AC with the GT dual zone panel ?

Thanks for your input.

The Sport does not have the power harness for seat controls, the sport does not have the heated seat circuit, the Sport also does not have the power motors on the HVAC unit.

The only thing that will be easy is bolting the seat in. (drunk)

The Sport does not have the power harness for seat controls, the sport does not have the heated seat circuit, the Sport also does not have the power motors on the HVAC unit.

The only thing that will be easy is bolting the seat in. (drunk)

That sucks. I was hoping that it would have been plug and play at least with the power harness. Similar to how the fog lights or even the navigation hardware are installed only needing the SD map .

I just took a close look at the harness and saw that it had wires for 10/16 pins. The middle row has a block of 4 and a pair of 2 under it that did not have any wires .

The plug on the drivers seat only has 4 pins that connect to the harness. So there are 6 pins possibly active on the harness that are not being used but are there. Possibly these are for the seat belt sensor and airbags.

Can anyone with GT heated leather or non heated leather confirm your harness ?

Harness
14622a2f46.jpg

146250d20e.jpg

Seat plug
1462f31b5d.jpg

That sucks. I was hoping that it would have been plug and play at least with the power harness. Similar to how the fog lights or even the navigation hardware are installed only needing the SD map .
Actually I was thinking opposite. Mazda seems to make extra effort not giving you any unnecessary wiring harness and hidden features. We see no wire and bulb socket for rear fog light; no wire and bulb socket for glove compartment. Even the front fog and rear fog indicators are eliminated in the instrument cluster. I doubt you have pre-laid wiring harness for the front fog lights. As fas as navigation system goes, the circuitry is built in the head unit with 7" screen, and you only need SD card reader to read software and map. But you still need to replace the whole head unit if you have basic Sport audio system without 7" screen.

I can see your project would be very costly. If you plan to use OEM seat warmer switch and Automatic Climate Control switch panel, you need to remember your manual HVAC is cable controlled for the vent mode but it's completely motorized in ACC system. This means you need to get the whole new HVAC system which no doubt is very expensive.

As for missing wires in the seat wire connector, I wish I had the wiring diagram to figured it out. But I believe you're missing at least one square connector among those 4 empty slots. Seriously I wouldn't try this project unless I have too much time and money! :)

I would have thought the cloth seats to be a bit better cushioned than the leather seats. If it is seat heaters you seek, why not just seek an aftermarket option?

Well after seeing pictures of your harness end, I do see some unused wires, including some that look to be heavy gauge... (whistle)

I wish I had a wiring diagram... It would be nice to see the Harness end on the GT and the Touring ones to compare...

I would have thought the cloth seats to be a bit better cushioned than the leather seats. If it is seat heaters you seek, why not just seek an aftermarket option?
Actually I've seen people who compared the seat comfort between CX-5 Touring and GT and found the seats felt differently. They're different seats and majority of them like GT "Sport" seats much better.

Actually I was thinking opposite. Mazda seems to make extra effort not giving you any unnecessary wiring harness and hidden features. We see no wire and bulb socket for rear fog light; no wire and bulb socket for glove compartment. Even the front fog and rear fog indicators are eliminated in the instrument cluster. I doubt you have pre-laid wiring harness for the front fog lights. As fas as navigation system goes, the circuitry is built in the head unit with 7" screen, and you only need SD card reader to read software and map. But you still need to replace the whole head unit if you have basic Sport audio system without 7" screen.

Etc...

I have the 2016 Sport with the 7 " display without navigation and no fog lights. I did install the SD navteq map and the navigation works. Also, I got the dealership to give me free fog lights (housing also switch on the turning signal). I installed this myself and the harness was just there to plug right up . It was complete plug and play. This is why it leads me to think that Mazda probably to save money made almost everything the same between models. At least with 2016.

Furthermore , my climate control is electronic and motorized and not manual cable operated vents. But if I can't swap the climate control , I'm ok with that. I'll figure out the heated seats activation non plug and play methods.

Any one with Grand Trouring or even just Tiuring with electric leather seats can look at your harness and compare with mine?

Thanks,

Rear cloth seats are really nice and soft. Fronts not that great compared to GT .

I got the dealership to give me free heated seats with the purchase of the car. I though it was factory upgrade , but turns out it was after market garbage. It made crinkling sounds, wire was digging into your behind. They outsourced to a aftermarket shop to install as well. After taking it back to the dealership 4 times to fix, I told them to just remove it. In addition they gave me back 420.00 dollars. Also in top of that they replaced the seats under warranty because they wobbled more than factory tolerance.

I was still unhappy, I spoke with the GM and he gave me fog lights. I told him I will install it myself and to also give me the rear trunk area retractable cover which he did.

Actually I've seen people who compared the seat comfort between CX-5 Touring and GT and found the seats felt differently. They're different seats and majority of them like GT "Sport" seats much better.

I see you have the 2016 GT , would you mind checking your harness to compare with mine?

Here're a couple of pictures I took on our CX-5 GT showing the wiring connector of heated power driver's seat. There're 10 wires feed into the heated power seat which are the same number of yours. It seems you can plug-and-play a heated power seat into your CX-5 Sport without laying any extra wires but what happened on the other end of wires is everybody's guess.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here're a couple of pictures I took on our CX-5 GT showing the wiring connector of heated power driver's seat. There're 10 wires feed into the heated power seat which are the same number of yours. It seems you can plug-and-play a heated power seat into your CX-5 Sport without laying any extra wires but what happened on the other end of wires is everybody's guess.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pics dont work.

Thanks for confirming that the GT has the same harness as my 2016 Sport AWD!! Even if i cant get the heated seats to turn on by installing factory climate control with heated seat switch, I’ll make something aftermarket to attempt turning them on. Whats most important though is the seats power end up working.

Back