What infotainment set up does the CX-5 Sport with manual transmission have?

myke232

:
Mazda CX-5
The Mazda website only says:

- 7" Full-color touch-screen display (AT models only)
- MAZDA CONNECT Infotainment System5 (AT models only)

But no where that I can find do they indicate what comes with the manual tranny. Also, I was at the dealer and they weren't even sure what it comes with and they didn't have one on the lot to check out. Frustrating that the dealer can't even tell me what the car comes with!

Same set up the basic 3's have, a non-touch screen radio/cd/bluetooth player.

UK cars have the same manual or auto, seems strange a US car should be different.

UK cars have the same manual or auto, seems strange a US car should be different.
In order to keep the image of low price and high EPA fuel economy rating for the CX-5 in the US, the very basic Sport comes with 2.0L SkyActiv-G engine and SkyActiv-Manua 6-speed manual transmission. The infotainment system is almost non-exist with no 7" screen. Here are some photos I found for the interior of 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Sport manual:

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-7-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-10-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-12-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-11-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-13-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-14-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-15-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-17-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-16-1024.jpg

new-2016-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drmanualsport-9459-13417964-9-1024.jpg

The 7" screen is changed to a standard radio head unit but should have Blue Tooth connection. The infotainment center console jog wheel is replaced with an ugly black open tray. It seems keeping the old mechanical parking brake should be logical for a manual transmission but Mazda decided to change it to electric parking brake anyway.

Last edited:
Same set up the basic 3's have, a non-touch screen radio/cd/bluetooth player.
Interesting... So, does anyone know if with the bluetooth you can talk on the phone through the car speakers? Play music from iphone? And with the usb connect iphone or ipod and get track names etc. to display on the radio?

I know... I hoping maybe they update the manual for 2017. They should. I think it's kind of lame that it's a different system.

In order to keep the image the low price and high EPA fuel economy rating for the CX-5 in the US, the very basic Sport comes with 2.0L SkyActiv-G engine and SkyActiv-Manua 6-speed manual transmission. The infotainment system is almost non-exist with no 7" screen. Here are some photos I found for the interior of 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Sport manual:

The 7" screen is changed to a standard radio head unit but should have Blue Tooth connection. The infotainment center console jog wheel is replaced with an ugly black open tray. It seems keeping the old mechanical parking brake should be logical for a manual transmission but Mazda decided to change it to electric parking brake anyway.
Thanks for the pics and info!

Interesting... So, does anyone know if with the bluetooth you can talk on the phone through the car speakers? Play music from iphone? And with the usb connect iphone or ipod and get track names etc. to display on the radio?

I know... I hoping maybe they update the manual for 2017. They should. I think it's kind of lame that it's a different system.

Thanks for the pics and info!
If you look at the front penal of the OEM head unit on CX-5 Sport manual, you'll see only USB/AUX button. This make me feel there's USB connection for music, but no BT for your cell phone. This's a very basic head unit. But you can always get a much better after-market head unit with everything you want even with a 7" screen! See these very informative posts by RG_Flyer and awpgti and RG_Flyer uses Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS:

Finally! The correct parts for the 2016 CX-5 Sport

Wow! Thanks for the pictures!

I have never seen one in the flesh... It might as well have a large single conical horn mounted on the hood, because it is indeed a UNICORN!

Come on Mazda NA! You can do better! Manual Trans drivers deserve a touchscreen and commander knob also!

Sounds like BT phone & streaming will be available.
Yeah, the 7 inch display is nice, but If you intend to use your phone for navigation and audio, it will not be a significant compromise at all.

See:
https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5/trims
Choose Manual then Read More

Sounds like BT phone & streaming will be available.
Yeah, the 7 inch display is nice, but If you intend to use your phone for navigation and audio, it will not be a significant compromise at all.
See:
https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5/trims
Choose Manual then Read More
Yeah you're right. CX-5 Sport manual does have Blue Tooth phone and audio connection. I'm not sure how are you going to control BT audio without a selection button on the audio head unit, but you can control BT phone connection by the steering wheel phone buttons:

Mazda CX-5 Sport
  • AM/FM/CD/MP3-compatible audio system with automatic level control and 4 speakers
  • Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio capability
  • Auxiliary input jack and USB port

One aspect I forgot to mention, is speaker quality, which might be lower.
Different people have different expectations with respect to speakers and maybe you are not the type to go and replace them ...
You definitely need to sit in one and try it out.

For usability, I prefer my 2014 with old infotainment but with phone attachment & Google Maps to my wife's 7 inch with navigation, but no phone attachment. Google Maps is simply much better and is constantly being improved.

Wow! Thanks for the pictures!

I have never seen one in the flesh... It might as well have a large single conical horn mounted on the hood, because it is indeed a UNICORN!

Come on Mazda NA! You can do better! Manual Trans drivers deserve a touchscreen and commander knob also!
Ha, I was surprised the power windows are still there! I wouldn't mind to have hand cranking windows on a stick shift vehicle like my previous VW Jetta GLI!

But Mazda needs to keep the starting base price low and EPA fuel economy rating high on the CX-5, and this's one way to do it! :)

Those pictures account for all the different radio systems in the manual, i didn't expect some to be for US models though.

If you look at the front penal of the OEM head unit on CX-5 Sport manual, you'll see only USB/AUX button. This make me feel there's USB connection for music, but no BT for your cell phone. This's a very basic head unit. But you can always get a much better after-market head unit with everything you want even with a 7" screen! See these very informative posts by RG_Flyer and awpgti and RG_Flyer uses Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS:

Finally! The correct parts for the 2016 CX-5 Sport

There's no button because it will try to connect via bluetooth on engine start, if it is set up. I have not used this particular unit, but it seems very similar to a Fiat I rented once. On the steering wheel you will see the little voice-activate button above the phone buttons. This will allow you to set up the bluetooth via voice. It's a little laborious but does the job.

^^ Cool... thanks.

Does anyone know if track names show up on the unit if your iphone/ipod is connected via usb?

Also, can you navigate to albums or tracks via the steering wheel?

So does the manual gearbox car have no backup camera? What do they plan to do when backup cameras are required on all cars sold after 1 May 2018? Put the cheesy screen inside the rear view mirror?

So does the manual gearbox car have no backup camera? What do they plan to do when backup cameras are required on all cars sold after 1 May 2018? Put the cheesy screen inside the rear view mirror?
Very likely! Mazda does have such OEM backup camera accessory using rearview mirror for the screen. This is the cheapest way to meet DOT / NHTSA requirement.

Back