Almost cross-country roadtrip update - with trailer!

riff42

:
2016 CX-5 GT. Deep, holy crap that is dark, blue.
So, I finished a 6400 mile trip from the east coast, with a goal of Seattle, san Fran, and back again. I was hauling a www.myminitrailer.com trailer, which is essentially a HF trailer with a box on top. Still, 3000$, it was cheap, and light. CX-5 has a 2000lbs tow limit, and when loaded FULLY, the trailer should weigh in at about 1000lbs, maybe a bit less.

So. To start off, I have never pulled a trailer, expect once to get mulch with any vehicle, ever. So this was a new experience. We started off at 3am to pick UP the trailer in northern NJ to start our trip due to BAD timing issues and communications with MMT. But anyway. Started off with a wrong sized receiver....so the chains were dragging and it was hitting the ground!!!
Fixed that, and continued our way.

Heading down all the highways, the CX-5 didn't seem to have many issues. yeah, it took awhile to accelerate, and brake. But there was always a clunking!!! Also, ended up finding out that most all northern state highways are cement slabs....well, when in a car, it's fine. I bet in a truck with a 30' TT, it's fine. But a tiny light weight, only leaf-spring suspension trailer with a small tow vehicle, WAS HELL!!!!!!!!!!! If I had milk in my cooler, I bet it would have turned into butter in a few hours. The bouncing was insane. Speed limit of 70-75? Screw that, I'm going 65 with the big trucks, lest I be bounced off the fecking road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because of that, not only did my hitch loosen, and start squeaking (I stopped, at least 3 times at autopart stores to tighten the bolts....driving for several hours of high-stress filled driving, and wife grumbles, I was ready to give up on day 2), but the random bangs and clunks were killer.

Mind you, I now find out as I replace the axle...that the spring is bolted on ONE side, and loose on the other....so every bounce the trailer took, the spring clunked in the housing. Other funny story....3/4 way through, I found out the tires are rated for 65mph.....I was going 75-80mph whenever I wasn't on a slab highway. Well, THAT shot the s*** in my wife's brain and if i DARE put the speedo at 66, I was going to be tied at the stake and burnt....

So anyway, I had booked a campground at yellowstone, which one does NOT re-book...not without a year advance notice. So I was GETTING there..... I also finally broke down and said the trip was over a day or two before. Already many 100 miles behind schedule, I was not loosing my time there. Decided to just spend an extra night there if we could (ps: never go to yellowstone without 5 days to enjoy it), and head south to Salt Lake, and just take our time.
Notes: I planned this trip like we did our last. 10-13hr days driving.....we both would drive. It wasn't bad....until you start having issues every few 100 miles with the trailer, and your wife refuses to drive with a trailer....s***.

So, we made it....middle country highways had no cement. spent extra days in several locations, made the best of a stressful trip.

Now, notes for the CX-5:
iSense package was freaking amazing. To be able to set the speed, and have the car slow down if someone was in front of you? Loved it sometimes. If the turns or hills wer sharp, the Radar cruise control would sometimes not see the car in front of me, and speed back up to the set speed, suddenly see teh car again, and brake hard. I learned to just shut it off and turn it back on. Same with big hills....the CX-5's cruise control actually BRAKES down hills to keep the speed set. Never had that in a car before. When towing, you shouldn't brake just to go back up.

Mileage when from an average 25 commuting, to a low of 18. Which is really strange, seeing I was below the 50% tow limit. We also packed light i think.

Going up from Wilson WY over west a bit, to travel south to the salt flats (I went west of the flats, not straight south to SLC), was hell. The mountains were killing the engine!!! But we made it up. Braking and going down didn't seem to be an issue. Also, general city driving didn't seem to be an issue either, which was odd.

NEVER EVER DRIVE ON UNMAINTAINED ROADS (see pictures) in Iowa. Even if the road looks in perfect condition. The mud is like freaking glue.

Attachments

• DSCN2750aaa.jpg
    DSCN2750aaa.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN1805aaa.jpg
    DSCN1805aaa.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN1694aaa.jpg
    DSCN1694aaa.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN1533aaa.jpg
    DSCN1533aaa.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN1495aaa.jpg
    DSCN1495aaa.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 218
Nice post! Yeah the State of Iowa has always been having bad road condition even on the I-80 due to the extreme cold weather and too much snow plowing and salt spreading. When we're there many years ago the road was like you just experienced. I'd towed a Jartran once for a long distance with a 1974 Chevy Impala and that's not fun at all. I'd try not to tow anything for such a long trip.

BTW, is that the Salt Lake on the back ground in your 5th picture? When we're driving by the Salt Lake many years ago on the I-80, Slat Lake was almost totally dry with miles of white salt!

I lost you over there a bit, did your CX-5 break down or was it all trailer issues only? How is the paint holding up - do you see any specific damages etc?

NEVER EVER DRIVE ON UNMAINTAINED ROADS (see pictures) in Iowa. Even if the road looks in perfect condition. The mud is like freaking glue.

christ, you're not kidding, that mud is caked on there , no joke !!! I see little pebbles stuck to the mud, did those pebbles get slung onto your lower door paint ? mud flaps would have helped and provide some protection from paint damage

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=215092&d=1475501808

Last edited:
You learned some lessons the hard way. to repeat.

Buy the trailer early, and get some experience with it.
Trailer hitches will loosen up at first. (Good for you checking it and keeping it tight.)

Some other things. with cruise, when you come to a down hill, slap the shift lever into M Back to D at the bottom.

You can stop a lot of the rattle with one of these https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Accessories-sf-Anti~Rattle.aspx Pick one. I had a friend fill the hole in my solid hitch with weld and then tap it for 1/2-13 I bolt it solid to the receiver.

For piece of mind, you might want to get some Taskmaster tires. 81 MPH speed rating http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTWLG53012C.html and if you didn't buy a spare then think about getting a extra wheel and keeping one of your existing tire and wheels as a spare. BTW you don't need a jack because of the trailer built in jacks but remember a lug wrench.

Experience is a rough teacher. First you get the exam, then you get the lesson.

Last edited:
Found out the cruise control likes to downshift to 5 gear going downhill to keep the speed under control. Read it here but was sceptical, found out the last trip thru WV hills. Best to shut off cruise in hilly, mountainous areas. MPG should be a little better, but don't ride the brakes.

you learned some lessons the hard way. To repeat.

Buy the trailer early, and get some experience with it.
Trailer hitches will loosen up at first. (good for you checking it and keeping it tight.)

some other things. With cruise, when you come to a down hill, slap the shift lever into m back to d at the bottom.

You can stop a lot of the rattle with one of these https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-hitch_accessories-sf-anti~rattle.aspx pick one. I had a friend fill the hole in my solid hitch with weld and then tap it for 1/2-13 i bolt it solid to the receiver.

For piece of mind, you might want to get some taskmaster tires. 81 mph speed rating http://www.etrailer.com/tires-and-wheels/taskmaster/ttwlg53012c.html and if you didn't buy a spare then think about getting a extra wheel and keeping one of your existing tire and wheels as a spare. Btw you don't need a jack because of the trailer built in jacks but remember a lug wrench.

Experience is a rough teacher. First you get the exam, then you get the lesson.
Great quote!

Latest posts

Back