What is the deal with cargo mats?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing my second 2016 CX-5 after the original 2016 was totaled and am happy to have found this board in time (my other thread is in the lounge)! I keep seeing everyone talk about getting the cargo mat thrown in... why is that? I didn't have one before, is the car that much better with it?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

If something nasty spills back there on the mat, it can be easily cleaned up. No mat, it soaks into the carpeted load floor. It's as simple as that!

And don't forget the excellent Mazda OEM retractable cargo cover, part no. KD33-V1-350A.

ec951b6d54077c7755cc72ef7e756451.gif

Not to mention that if something does tip over and spill, like that 5 qt jug of Olive oil from the Costco, there are the side reservoirs on the cargo mat that can each hold 2 qts...

Also keeps objects from sliding around, and keeps you from having to try and vacuum the felt "carpet" which can be a nightmare...

0000-8D-R01_3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing my second 2016 CX-5 after the original 2016 was totaled and am happy to have found this board in time (my other thread is in the lounge)! I keep seeing everyone talk about getting the cargo mat thrown in... why is that? I didn't have one before, is the car that much better with it?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Yeah, it's the one and only time when you have the upper hand on the dealer, if they want to close the deal, ask them for all the freebies. The sales agent I worked with said as long as it doesn't need to go thru service to install I can have it, so I went thru the accessories listed in the brochure and got the retractable cargo cover, rubber cargo mat, all weather mats all for free. He just went back to the parts dept and dumped like $400 worth of accessories for free into the trunk. Make sure you get two advanced keys and if you want to pay for a third spare ask them for free programming.

Also do not get the mobile remote app option it's not worth it, it's a hassle to log in everytime to start the car, better to get the standalone remote start with the fob, make sure to get two remote fobs, it only comes with one fob, but see if you can get free programming if you pay for the extra remote start fob.

The BEST ever accessory I got was the OEM CX5 low profile backseat head rests from Taiwan $90 during a business trip out of my own pocket but money well spent, I love the no obstruction view of the lower head rests. There's a long post about this in this forum.

P.S. > also I told them flat out don't be sticking on any dealers stickers or dealers emblems on the car, I don;t want to spend time trying to get the adhesive off.

Last edited:
The BEST ever accessory I got was the OEM CX5 low profile backseat head rests from Taiwan $90 during a business trip out of my own pocket but money well spent, I love the no obstruction view of the lower head rests. There's a long post about this in this forum.
Wait, I thought you cut and paste my post about getting the JDM rear seat headrests from Taipei... :) Which location of the Mazda dealer did you go there?

I really hate both sides of rearview mirror image on CX-5 are blocked by the rear seat headrests. I went ahead purchased a pair of non-US spec, low-profile rear seat headrests at a Mazda dealer during the recent trip to Taipei. It cost me USD $96.52 for a pair. Once I got back and tried them on, I feel that the money was well spent! I'm very happy to have these low-profile headrests and now I can see a full view of the back window from rearview mirror! What a safety improvement to us!

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520GT%252520-%252520Non-US%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520GT%252520-%252520Rearview%252520Non-US%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

And you're much luckier than I was. I started inquiry in the summer of 2015 trying to find the correct part number from a Mazda dealer service department in Neihu, Taipei but they could only locate one in Taipei and had to make a special order for the second one from Mazda in Japan. I waited until January this year to get both JDM headrests when I had an opportunity traveling there. Nevertheless I also feel these are the BEST ever accessory I got for our CX-5!

Cargo Tray is nice, some things won't slip around a lot. It also has groves for small spills. The side buckets can hold some liquid containers if you need it. I was on the fence about all weather mates - they look good but some OEM look better - more useful for someone who will get some dirt in their shoes during traveling or work.

Besides its hard to find all weather mates these days.

Just picked up a 2014.5 GT. Came with OEM all weather front and rear mats, but stock cargo mat.

Where's the best place to purchase? See Amazon has it for $67, but have not looked anywhere else.

PS - Love the CX5

What is the deal with cargo tray?

Just picked up a 2014.5 GT. Came with OEM all weather front and rear mats, but stock cargo mat.

Where's the best place to purchase? See Amazon has it for $67, but have not looked anywhere else.

PS - Love the CX5
2014.5 GT? Did you mean 2016.5 GT?

For CX-5 OEM rubber cargo tray, part no. 0000-8D-R01, you can check our sponsor Med Center Mazda website ordering cargo tray and OEM retractable cargo cover, part no. KD33-V1-350A for free shipping over $100. Or use part numbers googling Internet and find the online source you trust.

2014.5 GT? Did you mean 2016.5 GT?

For CX-5 OEM rubber cargo tray, part no. 0000-8D-R01, you can check our sponsor Med Center Mazda website ordering cargo tray and OEM retractable cargo cover, part no. KD33-V1-350A for free shipping over $100. Or use part numbers googling Internet and find the online source you trust.

No, 2014.5. All 2014 built after December 13 have the shifter with the leather boot that is on the 2015 and a couple other minor cosmetic things. So maybe 2014.25?

Back