CX-5 is a car, not a gadget

This review is spot on, but I do see Mazda adding more tech each year. Car play is just now coming to other makes for 2017 so I would expect Mazda to join the crowd soon as well. I also think that it does need more power as passing is pathetically slow to the point I don't even try. My issue with this is when you are used to driving a car with enough power to pass driving this one does not exude confidence as it sounds like it's going to fall apart. My wife has no issues with the cars power, but does with the lame infotainment and that's were we agree. Particularly frustrating is the inconsistency of the USB port. Sometimes it works playing music and charging our phones, but lately it's not been able to do either.

My experience with my 2016 FWD Touring is that there is plenty of power under the hood. I do a lot of driving on mountainous (East Tennessee) two-lane roads, and when I need to pass someone I need the power to do it. I've never been disappointed. When I switch to Sport mode, the power is even more outstanding, though I rarely use it. Also, I load mp3s onto USB thumb drives, and the play has been flawless. Perhaps my experiences can be explained by the later model year, but so far I have no complaints with my CX-5.

My experience with my 2016 FWD Touring is that there is plenty of power under the hood. I do a lot of driving on mountainous (East Tennessee) two-lane roads, and when I need to pass someone I need the power to do it. I've never been disappointed. When I switch to Sport mode, the power is even more outstanding, though I rarely use it. Also, I load mp3s onto USB thumb drives, and the play has been flawless. Perhaps my experiences can be explained by the later model year, but so far I have no complaints with my CX-5.

Was waiting for someone to confirm my similar experience with 2016 AWD. Plenty of engine power, Sport mode lets me leave most cars behind easily, especially starting from red light. Technology is just like what the video mentioned, just enough to keep it simple but totally usable. I also put my music on a slim 32GB USB, very easy to navigate by songs or folders. Not to mention it's the best looking among the CUVs, IMO.

Its AWD system is also awesome in winter, especially for those too cheap like me to purchase snow tires :)

This review is spot on, but I do see Mazda adding more tech each year. Car play is just now coming to other makes for 2017 so I would expect Mazda to join the crowd soon as well. I also think that it does need more power as passing is pathetically slow to the point I don't even try. My issue with this is when you are used to driving a car with enough power to pass driving this one does not exude confidence as it sounds like it's going to fall apart. My wife has no issues with the cars power, but does with the lame infotainment and that's were we agree. Particularly frustrating is the inconsistency of the USB port. Sometimes it works playing music and charging our phones, but lately it's not been able to do either.

The USB connection could be due to the phone. For security reason, most Android phones would require the owner to unlock the phone before it can be accessed as a USB/media storage, I assume the same is applied to iOS? Or it could be that your 2014 has the older infotainment system. The new Mazda Connect is very stable and smooth, especially after several updates during the last year. I also love how Mazda Connect is just a Linux system with an Opera browser engine as GUI, very easy and flexible for modding/customizing.

If I'm correct, the USB is for media transfer and it's not made for charging.
It has enough power, if you are using correctly (the gas pedal). Push it instantly to the floor, and it will speed up very fast.
Don't forget, this SUV is build for efficiency.
Car is falling apart?! I don't feel anything like that.

Did anybody watch the next video that follows "Discussing a new generation of Zoom Zoom with Mazda SVP Robert Davis"?
Did you notice the YELLOW car behind SVP Robert Davis? Is yellow available somewhere else in the world? What car is that? CX-3?

The USB connection could be due to the phone. For security reason, most Android phones would require the owner to unlock the phone before it can be accessed as a USB/media storage, I assume the same is applied to iOS? Or it could be that your 2014 has the older infotainment system. The new Mazda Connect is very stable and smooth, especially after several updates during the last year. I also love how Mazda Connect is just a Linux system with an Opera browser engine as GUI, very easy and flexible for modding/customizing.

Fixed the USB issue. The Apple cable was bad and once I replaced it it started charging and playing music off my iPhone 6 again. Happy!

Fixed the USB issue. The Apple cable was bad and once I replaced it it started charging and playing music off my iPhone 6 again. Happy!

Cheer! Myself also often overlook the microUSB cable, some cheap ones (with only two connectors inside) would allow slow charging but not data transferring. Some 4-connector cables made cheaply had the connector broken or internal copper broken near the neck after a short use, those are harder to troubleshoot as they work intermittently depending on if you keep the cable straight or bent.

Cheer! Myself also often overlook the microUSB cable, some cheap ones (with only two connectors inside) would allow slow charging but not data transferring. Some 4-connector cables made cheaply had the connector broken or internal copper broken near the neck after a short use, those are harder to troubleshoot as they work intermittently depending on if you keep the cable straight or bent.

Spot on, the old Apple cable was severely bent at the USB connection so I suspect the internal wiring was damaged. The new cable continues to work perfectly.

Back