more road/wind noise

Mondo

Contributor
:
2016 Mazda CX5
My '16 CX5 has 16,000 miles on it... did a 5 hour round trip drive today. Driving on the I5 thru the Central Valley of California, doing about 80 (flow of traffic) it seems the car is a lot louder than I remember it. Both wind & tire noise were getting really bothersome. Maybe I was just in the car too long, can't imagine anything has changed.

My 16 has the diesel engine and once moving is the quietest car I’ve ever owned. It might be better with different tyres but I’m running a set of original CX-5 Yokos that I bought off eBay ready for fitting winter tyres in November. I didn’t run the supplied Toyo 19s long enough to make comparisons.

Where does the noise come from, the road, door seals etc?

I've done 80 on the Capital Beltway and I have to say, the speedometer is the only clue that I'm going that fast. Quiet and smooth. Almost a year old and I still LOVE this car. I look forward to driving it every chance I get.

I've done 80 on the Capital Beltway and I have to say, the speedometer is the only clue that I'm going that fast. Quiet and smooth. Almost a year old and I still LOVE this car. I look forward to driving it every chance I get.
Me too. I get fonder of it as time goes on.

The quality of the road matters a lot.
Driving over new asphalt it is very quiet and smooth as well as allows for better fuel economy.
Older sections of I80 over the Sierra, especially on the right lane, where trucks with chains drive in winter, is pretty loud. This is after replacing the OEM Yokos.
There was always some wind noise as well. Sections of I5 closer to the bay area can get pretty windy.

However, I am not complaining. I think the car's noise level is within reason for the group. We definitely have and had noisier vehicles. The Mazda 3 we own definitely has more road noise. When it is time to replace the tires in the 3, I'll definitely try to look for something more quiet.

My '16 CX5 has 16,000 miles on it... did a 5 hour round trip drive today. Driving on the I5 thru the Central Valley of California, doing about 80 (flow of traffic) it seems the car is a lot louder than I remember it. Both wind & tire noise were getting really bothersome. Maybe I was just in the car too long, can't imagine anything has changed.

You probably have about 50% tread left on the OEM's. You will definitely hear more road noise. I've had my 16 for about 16 months, only 8,200 miles and I'm starting to notice more road noise and a slightly harsher ride at 34 psi. The OEM tires are usually cheap and crappy.

I've rotated the tires every 5000miles but I imagine they are getting worn and louder. And your right about the condition of the road making a difference. I'll have to take a look at the tires and if anyone has any recommendations of a quiet tire (will take over performance)...

I've rotated the tires every 5000miles but I imagine they are getting worn and louder. And your right about the condition of the road making a difference. I'll have to take a look at the tires and if anyone has any recommendations of a quiet tire (will take over performance)...
Since you don't state whether you've got 17s (Sport/Touring) or 19s GT), it's hard to make any recommendations.

I bought 2019 cx5 road noise terrible currently dealing with yokahamo on tires 900 miles geolander 17 91a not getting any help from Mazda deal total fight

Nothing's changed. The 1 gen CX5's have horrible noise above 75ish or so. Annoying on a road trip for sure.

I bought 2019 cx5 road noise terrible currently dealing with yokahamo on tires 900 miles geolander 17 91a not getting any help from Mazda deal total fight

The question you have to ask is, does the car sound louder than the demonstrator?

Personally, i think the 2019 models are exceptionally quiet but i guess it depends what you are used to. What do you expect to get out of the fight with them?

Back