Need tips on Products and Procedures to Fully Detail This Car

Agroskater

:
CX-5 2016.5
Last edited:
I am new to Detailing, this is what i am doing (assuming your car is relatively new and has no major scratches)

Get a Meguiar's Detailing Kit from Amazon, Ultimate Microfiber Duster from Amazon - $68 total (Meg kit is $10 off now - $38 + $30).
For bi weekly maintenance on a dark CX-5 :
Microfiber brush to clean the dust.
Quick Detailer QD with a micro fiber to clean up spots etc. Bird droppings etc. - If you have water spots this should clean it, else read up this thread:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29134-how-remove-water-spots-hand.html

Good wash maybe once 2 months:
Meguiars Wash with Microfiber Mitt.
+ Dry the vehicle.
+ Quick Wax to keep the shine.

You can optionally Dry the vehicle using QD as well to clean a bit more - not sure if QD followed by QW is harmful.

Once a year - Wash + Clay to get surface contaminants out + Wash (optional or soak only) + Good Wax.
Claying is not needed on whole CX-5 front, back and sides below handle is more than enough.

Once you have a few years on this and need to restore then the steps change and you may need protectant / Wax combination.

Other products in the Kit include Window and Tire washer, a scratch X spray and a Plastic Spray. I will use the scratch on my older Corolla. Lots of wild buffalos in drive through safari's fought near it and scratched it (bang)

This recommendation is based on my ability to work detailing and also not breaking the bank. You can ofcourse go Hardcore and use water filtration / zero spot water systems to cost upto a 1000$ easily.

For a lighter vehicle I would inspect and maybe wash in 3 months and clean every 3 weeks. Now if you have a Silver one, Wash every presidential election and you are good.

... Now if you have a Silver one, Wash every presidential election and you are good.
(lol2) That's part of reason why we always get new vehicles with silver exterior ...

I am new to Detailing, this is what i am doing (assuming your car is relatively new and has no major scratches)

Get a Meguiar's Detailing Kit from Amazon, Ultimate Microfiber Duster from Amazon - $68 total (Meg kit is $10 off now - $38 + $30).
For bi weekly maintenance on a dark CX-5 :
Microfiber brush to clean the dust.
Quick Detailer QD with a micro fiber to clean up spots etc. Bird droppings etc. - If you have water spots this should clean it, else read up this thread:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29134-how-remove-water-spots-hand.html

Good wash maybe once 2 months:
Meguiars Wash with Microfiber Mitt.
+ Dry the vehicle.
+ Quick Wax to keep the shine.

You can optionally Dry the vehicle using QD as well to clean a bit more - not sure if QD followed by QW is harmful.

Once a year - Wash + Clay to get surface contaminants out + Wash (optional or soak only) + Good Wax.
Claying is not needed on whole CX-5 front, back and sides below handle is more than enough.

Once you have a few years on this and need to restore then the steps change and you may need protectant / Wax combination.

Other products in the Kit include Window and Tire washer, a scratch X spray and a Plastic Spray. I will use the scratch on my older Corolla. Lots of wild buffalos in drive through safari's fought near it and scratched it (bang)

This recommendation is based on my ability to work detailing and also not breaking the bank. You can ofcourse go Hardcore and use water filtration / zero spot water systems to cost upto a 1000$ easily.

Crazy about the buffalo, but thanks for the advice! I will more than likely have it professionally waxed and cleaned before and after winter, just to keep the headache of me off. I just wanted some quick tips on cleaning the interior and outside so it looks sleak for a decent period of time.

I take mine to a detailing car wash and pay 34 buck but I wish I knew exactly what they are using on the plastic exterior trim because it keeps it nice and dark. I know they use meguiars but all their products are on unlabeled condiment bottles

There is a Plastic X or Plasti X product. Not sure if its for interior but could very well be for the trim. Saw a video where a guy used on of Meguiars compound on a very old Porsche 944 roof panel. Stunningly came back to life.

I've found chemical guys VRP to be fantastic for the black exterior trim. Be careful around the glass because it will smear pretty badly.

The ultimate line from meguiars for wash, wax, quick detailer are all great products readily available and reasonable prices.

Carpro Perl for the lower plastic trim. Works great and has uses for other stuff like cleanring tires, rubber mats, etc.

Quick tips: make sure your car is completely clean before drying it. Buy a bottle of spray wax and use it while drying to lubricate just in case your towel picks up dirt. Always use a clean microfiber towel. And never go to a car wash where they dry your car with dirty towels after the wash (pretty much 99% of car wash places).

Alright, I detail car on the side sometimes and know some very good detailers that do it full time so here is my advice.

Outside of the Car:
Washing:
2 bucket wash method, one bucket with your soapy water and one bucket with clean water for your rinse. Grit guards are a great addition to each bucket.
a decent car shampoo, Meguairs Gold Class is a great shampoo with good suds
A microfiber or lambs wool wash mitt, those microfiber chenille ones are everywhere and work good.
Start from the top and work your way to the bottom of the car, rinsing your wash mitt in the rinse bucket after each panel, Do the bottom of the doors and the rear hatch area last, it's where the most grit and grime are and you don't want that rubbed all over the finish.
Try to wash in the shade out of direct sun.

Drying:
Mircofiber towels, microfiber towels, microfiber towels!!! Get some large drying towels 20"x40" or so and dry from the top down.
The use of a drying aid like quick detailer is optional but will help prevent streaks, water spots and scratches. I use Optimum No Rinse mixed up to the QD ratio.

Tires:
the best I've found for cleaning tires is Zep Fast 505 available at Homedepot. Does a great job at getting all the brown and left over shine product off the tires.
I prefer Meguairs endurance tire shine gel. Apply with tire sponge, lasts several weeks and looks good, not overly shiny.
Meguairs Hot rims is a good wheel cleaner so is eagle all in one wheel cleaner.

If you are going to wax, seal, or coat your car, be sure to use a claybar before hand. Any decent clay will work and again I use Optimum No Rinse (ONR) as a clay bar lube.
As for what product to wax, seal or coat the car with, there are many options. Carnauba waxes give a great shine with outstanding depth but they are hard to put on and don't last very long, they are a natural wax. Synthetic waxes have come a long way and may last 6+ month before needing to be re-applied. I prefer Meguairs Ultimate Liquid wax (black trim safe) and Collonite 845 or 476 wax. Techinally anything that's not a natural carnauba wax is considered a sealant but many are still marketed a waxes since the general public doesn't understand sealants. Something like Klasse All in one is a popular sealant.

Above and beyond waxes and sealants are coatings. Coatings are a semi permanent coating that bonds with the clear coat to produce a super hydrophobic layer on top of the clear. Almost like adding a second layer of clear coat to the car. If you want to do a coating the car must be completely clean and free from any defects such as scratches and what not as the coating will not hide anything and you'll just be "locking" those scratches in. It's recommended to fully polish the paint with some thing like Meguairs M105 and or M205 depending what the finish is like. Then wipe the car down with either a 15% IPA solution or a dedicated panel wipe to remove any left over polishing residue and oils.

I'm currently using Optimum Gloss coat which last 2+ years. CarPro Gtechic, and 22pple are also popular brands of coatings. They go on fairly simple and most level out decently but you have to watch for high spots, if you don't wipe away high spots right away those high spots need to be polished down with a DA and that area needs re-application.

Outside trim:
If it's dirty I have found that Mothers Back to black heavy duty trim cleaner, not the trim restorer, which is more common, is great at removing residue any dirt or stains from the trim. When I coated my car, I also coated my trim, but if I hadn't I would have used 303 aerospace protectant or something similar. With a new car the trim should not be faded so restoration isn't needed yet.

Inside the car:
Do you have leather? If so Meguairs ultimate leather balm is awesome for protecting and shining up the seats, steering wheel and shifter. I use Meguairs D101 All purpose cleaner, APC to clean every surface in the car. Dilute to the strength you need for what you're cleaning and safe on all surfaces. It works great on dash, trim, carpets, fabric seats, you name it. 303 is a great protectant for the rest of the surfaces as is Meguairs Natural shine protectant. I would stay away from Armorall at all costs, that stuff is way to shiny and there is so much better stuff on the market today that won't dry out and crack your interior surfaces.

I literally have two selves full of car care products that use for different things on different cars. Most of what I mentioned to you is what I call "over the counter" products, meaning that they should be able to be found with out much trouble at places like Walmart, Autozone, etc. You can't really go wrong with Meguairs or mothers for most of their products. If you have any other questions need advice on anything else let me know, I'm happy to answer them

I literally have two selves full of car care products that use for different things on different cars. Most of what I mentioned to you is what I call "over the counter" products, meaning that they should be able to be found with out much trouble at places like Walmart, Autozone, etc. You can't really go wrong with Meguairs or mothers for most of their products. If you have any other questions need advice on anything else let me know, I'm happy to answer them

For a new ride I will be following this schedule
Microfiber duster every week or two.
QD with a microfiber towel for water spots / bird poop etc. again once every 2 weeks.
Car wash once 2 months - I have a MEguiars kit that has the car wash shampoo and mit.

On Waxing : I plan on doing it after 6 months or so - is claying a necessity - reckon claying would take a lot of time? Could i clay the most obvious panels and avoid the roof? Also for a new car can you go a year without waxing?

I am ok to follow the above and maybe in a year or so send it for a full detail job. Is that recommended?
How is the interior QD? I have Touring with cloth seats and what should be a good upholstery cleaner? I have a very old one that wasn't used much - thinking of throwing it away.

Edit: I have a dark blue one - should have mentioned that.

To re-iterate I am a little puzzled on the usage of Wax - Frequency of Waxing, good do's and don'ts.
Right now biggest concern is to keep water marks off and keep windows clean - Mcg's QD should do the work for water marks, any recommendations for windows?

For a new ride I will be following this schedule
Microfiber duster every week or two.
QD with a microfiber towel for water spots / bird poop etc. again once every 2 weeks.
Car wash once 2 months - I have a MEguiars kit that has the car wash shampoo and mit.

On Waxing : I plan on doing it after 6 months or so - is claying a necessity - reckon claying would take a lot of time? Could i clay the most obvious panels and avoid the roof? Also for a new car can you go a year without waxing?

I am ok to follow the above and maybe in a year or so send it for a full detail job. Is that recommended?
How is the interior QD? I have Touring with cloth seats and what should be a good upholstery cleaner? I have a very old one that wasn't used much - thinking of throwing it away.

Edit: I have a dark blue one - should have mentioned that.

To re-iterate I am a little puzzled on the usage of Wax - Frequency of Waxing, good do's and don'ts.
Right now biggest concern is to keep water marks off and keep windows clean - Mcg's QD should do the work for water marks, any recommendations for windows?

Alright, first of all be careful using a microfiber duster on the car unless the car is recently cleaned. Rubbing a dry surface, even with a microfiber duster, can lead to micro marring the paint. I would skip that step and just do a quick detailer for in between washes. Save the duster for the day after the wash or something when there is very little dirt and dust on the car. In two weeks the car will pick up quite a bit of dirt.

A proper wash every two months? It's you car but I would change that to every two weeks or at the very least once a month with QD in between. If you can see the dirt on the car it will need a wash not just quick detailer. If a water supply isn't near by consider getting a rinseless wash like optimum No rinse (ONR) or a waterless wash like Ultima waterless wash+ concentrate or Mequairs Ultimate wash and wax.

As to whether or not claying is needed, there is a simple test for that. After washing the car, grab a little baggie, like a sandwich bag and place you hand inside. Using your finger run it over the hood, if it feels grabby that means you have bonded contaminants that a clay bar should be able to remove. You do NOT want to skip the roof of the car when claying. Most contaminants fall on the horizontal surfaces like the hood and roof. Be sure to use an ample amount of clay lube (QD) when claying, turning and kneading the clay after every panel. When I clay it take about 15-20 min to do the whole car, it's just rubbing the clay all over the surface.

As far as waxing goes, the frequency you need to wax depends on what type of wax you're using. You said you have the meguairs car care kit. There are a few different kits from meguairs, which one do you have? Is it the gold class car kit or the ultimate line of products. The gold class waxes are natural Carnauba waxes and will only last about 2-3 months at best. The ultimate kit should include Meguairs Ultimate Liquid wax which is technically a polymer sealant as it has no natural carnauba wax in it. It's a great product and can last about 6 months. It's also safe to apply to the black trim of the car without staining or leaving behind white residue. I really like that product and use it often. If you are using the Ultimate liquid wax, thin is in. Apply it in a thin even coat. It may be hard to see where it actually is applied until it starts to haze a bit.. A good way to know if you still have enough product on your waxing pad is to touch it to your window, if product transfers evenly to the window you still have enough product to use on the paint. Typically 3-4 pea sized drops is enough to do one panel or about half the hood or roof. Let the product set up until it hazes and passes the finger swipe test. When you swipe your finger does it remove the product or smear it? If it smears, wait longer, if not remove with a soft microfiber towel. Two thin coats is better then one heavy coat.

A really good product is Optimum No rinse, it can be diluted to different ratios for different needs, works great as a QD and clay bar lube that will remove and encapsulate hard water minerals that leave water marks. It's also a great wash solution for no rinse washings.

As far as windows go, Stoner invisible glass is about the best window cleaner out there. Does a great job of remove most of the grime and is streak free. For really dirty windows you can spray with Invisible glass and then use #0000 steel wool to clean the glass. It has to be #0000 the finest steel wool there is as anything courser can scratch. If there is a really stubborn spot a razor blade scrapper can be used just be sure to use plenty of cleaner spray as a lubricant so you don't scratch the glass.

I follow up cleaning my windows with a treatment of aquapel, also sold under the trico view name, it's the same product. It works similar to rain-x but it's not silicone based so it lasts much longer 6-8 months is what I've been getting out of it.

The interior QD is a decent product and good for quick wipe downs. I believe it also has a bit of UV protection so that's a good thing. A better product for the interior trim is either Megs Natural shine protectant or 303 aerospace protectant. Both of those have much higher concentrations of UV protectors and leave a nice low sheen natural looking shine. I would use the quick detailer for in between touch ups.

For interior cleaning on any and all surface including seats, and carpets. Any decent All purpose cleaner (APC) will do the trick. I'm talking about simple green of 409, i'm talking care specific APC like Meguairs D101 or Mothers APC. Depending on the dilution ratio they can be used for various cleaning tasks. 4:1 is good for the engine bay, tires and wheel weels, 10:1 is great for steering wheel, seats, dash.

hope that helps

Ride92,
That was very informative.
I bought the best rated microfiber duster since I cannot devote a ton of time to cleaning this car due to other things. Me and wife drive 37,000 miles a year combined. I am trying to work hard so she can settle into her new job.
I will never rub it in, just a gentle brush to take out whatever it can. I know it won't do a perfect clean job and main areas will be QD'ed sooner than 2 weeks.

I will take note on higher wash frequency. But as I said - time is hard to find.
I like what i hear about ONR. I think an ONR a month with washing every alternate + Light duster + QD on most obvious panels is the way to go.
Thanks for the Claying test - that is good information.

I am going to get the Stoner invisible cleaner as well.

One Q : Stoner invisible cleaner + Microfiber should work for windows or do i need a special pad or towel for windows? Assuming not too dirty windows.

On aquapel - If i clean my windows often - will it remove the aquapel coating as well?

Thanks a ton for this info. I guess I will wait for aquafel but will go ahead with the rest.

For cleaning the windows I actually find cheap paper towels or even newspaper work best. I have a roll of that hard brown paper towel you find in restrooms and use that. You can also grab a handful of the gas station paper towels that are by the window washer stations. I some times find microfiber on the Windows will leave very fine lint behind no matter how good or new your MF is. There is no special window pad or anything like that. If all you have is MF then shorter the nap the better for glass.
Invisible glass and most other cleaners will not remove aquapel or trico view from the Windows. It bonds to the glass much like a synthetic sealant bonds to the paint. It's pretty long lasting stuff and makes keeping the windshield clean much easier.

Mothers Back to Black does work great on the plastic trim. It really brings out the luster of the trim.

Loaded question - it is like asking what is the best oil to use?! How much time do you want to spend? Where do you live? Color of the car? I used to baby my bars (all dark) back in the 90's and 2000's. No time now (house, kids, dog, job...........) so I go to a decent local car wash (especially in the spring to get rid of road salt underneath) and use a spray wax or speed shine when I get home (I use Mothers now). For the interior, I vacuum myself and use Vinylex on vinyl and Lexol on leather. If I have time I wax my wheels so brake dust comes off easily. If you want to spend an entire day on your car check out autogeek.net for info and more products than you can ever imagine. If you want to go old school check out carcareonline.com. He is not a fan of clay or buffers (wax on wax off) and has a decent selection of products. Very opinionated but he has been detailing since the early 90s. Do get rid of the Armoural and go with a better brand of wax like Meguires, Mothers, 3M (to name a few). If you have the time, detailing can actually be pretty rewarding.

Great info, all; thanks. I learned a few things. I've especially wanted to know what's the best cleaner/finisher for the CX-5's "rubbery"-feel dashboards -- I knew off the bat that ArmorAll wouldn't be good for some material like this. From what I see here, Aerospace 303, Meguiars D101 or Mothers All-Purpose Cleaner are good bets for this, as are Meguairs Ultimate Protectant and Mothers VLR.... Thoughts/comments?

Back