Need help to self program a third key/remote from two working keys/remotes

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5
We just purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 which came with two working keys/remotes. We purchased a third from the dealer at the time of sale, and they cut the key on the spot. We now need to program the third key/remote and I can't find instructions anywhere online, though the dealer said they should be in our manual or on the internet. The dealer's labor charge is $115 to do it, so I am trying to avoid that (or calling a mobile locksmith) if I can do it myself. Click photo links below to see the style of key/remote we have. Any help is greatly appreciated!

CIMG8418.JPG
CIMG8419.JPG

Program as in having seat positions saved?

I thought the way it was explained to me was that it can only memorize 2 2 keys. However, it can store 2 more manual settings via the seat memory buttons.

well at least that is what we did. wife and me with 2 keys programmed. Son (occasional driver) will press the memory button 1 on the seat.

Program as in having seat positions saved?

I thought the way it was explained to me was that it can only memorize 2 2 keys. However, it can store 2 more manual settings via the seat memory buttons.

well at least that is what we did. wife and me with 2 keys programmed. Son (occasional driver) will press the memory button 1 on the seat.

Thanks anyway, but I was talking about programming the key/remote so that it locks/unlocks/starts the car as with the first two keyfobs I own. I want the third keyfob to act as our backup should one of the first two keyfobs get lost. But I will remember that tip for saving our seat positions, too!

I think you will have to move to Singapore to save your seat positions...

I guess you win some and lose some. We could not start car with the fob. Maybe that need the remote starter.

Can the US version save side mirror settings?

Miss that feature coming from bmw

No mirror position saved either. The outside mirrors are tall and fairly wide so you may not have to move them between drivers...

I guess you win some and lose some. We could not start car with the fob. Maybe that need the remote starter.
Can the US version save side mirror settings?
Miss that feature coming from bmw
No, you guys always win feature wise for the CX-5 if you live in Singapore! We can't do remote start with the original key fob either. You either have to have a dedicated second fob, or subscribe a very slow app on your cell phone to do the remove start. For some reason Mazda North American Operations have been always taking out some features for the US market but make them available in other regions!

We don't have memory driver seat, so there's no way to save outside mirror positions on CX-5! New 2016 CX-9 not only eliminated the cabability of saving outside mirror positions from the previous-gem CX-9, but also eliminated front seat height adjustment from its power driver seat!

We just purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 which came with two working keys/remotes. We purchased a third from the dealer at the time of sale, and they cut the key on the spot. We now need to program the third key/remote and I can't find instructions anywhere online, though the dealer said they should be in our manual or on the internet. The dealer's labor charge is $115 to do it, so I am trying to avoid that (or calling a mobile locksmith) if I can do it myself. Click photo links below to see the style of key/remote we have.
I could be wrong on Mazda but I do believe dealers have to program the key fob ID into your car computer to recognize the key fob when you're adding or replacing the factory key fob. This is what happened when we're replacing the broken key fob for our BMW 528i. But the replacement key fob price including key cut and programming and the key fob can also memorize its seat position and many other features assigned to that key fob.

Thank you for the replies. I just confirmed from multiple mobile locksmiths as well as two dealers that the dealer has to program the third smartkey on the 2016 CX-5. While the reprogramming software may be available for locksmiths to purchase, there is not critical mass (at least in my area) to make it economically viable for them yet. So at this time, the cost through a locksmith (even if they are willing to purchase the software) would dwarf the $115 estimate I got from the dealer.

Thank you for the replies. I just confirmed from multiple mobile locksmiths as well as two dealers that the dealer has to program the third smartkey on the 2016 CX-5. While the reprogramming software may be available for locksmiths to purchase, there is not critical mass (at least in my area) to make it economically viable for them yet. So at this time, the cost through a locksmith (even if they are willing to purchase the software) would dwarf the $115 estimate I got from the dealer.
Glad you confirmed it. In my BMW case, each key fob can have many dedicated personal preferences assigned including seat position. Each car can have the maximum of 7 key fobs assigned in the life time. According to the parts guy, the key is pre-cut at factory and a unique ID is assigned. The dealer needs to program the unique key ID into the car computer so that the new key fob can be recognized. The unique ID of broken key fob is still in the car computer database but with inactive status.

Yeah those new smart key fob is a lot more expensive than old simple remote control locking/unlocking key fob. It was almost $200 for the BMW replacement!

Yeah those new smart key fob is a lot more expensive than old simple remote control locking/unlocking key fob. It was almost $200 for the BMW replacement!

No kidding... certainly warrants putting on one of the lost tag locater devices on the market. Money well spent the first time it helps you find it.

Something like this...

https://www.thetrackr.com/

I would have thought the purchase of a third key at closing on the car purchase would have included the programing. I think you got f...ed.

No kidding... certainly warrants putting on one of the lost tag locater devices on the market. Money well spent the first time it helps you find it.

Something like this...
https://www.thetrackr.com/
This is no use for us on our BMW situation as the key fob was dropped on the road and got run-over by the tire once. The key fob was in good shape and locking / unlocking still worked but it could no longer start the engine. I believe the chip inside the fob generating the random code each time starts the engine got damaged.

Still, it took my dealer numerous times trying to program the replacement key fob, but could never program it properly as all the personal perferences could not be saved to the replacement key fob. The dealer even had the BMW USA tech support on the phone and still failed to program it properly. After 6 months I had it enough and started reading the shop manual. It finally worked after I followed the procedures outlined in the shop manual!

Back