Tank filled to the gas cap...

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Wasn't paying attention at the pump today and something defective was going on with pump. It literally filled my tank to the filler cap. I guess I should take my OBD adapter with me for the weekend at cabin in case it throws an evap emission code.

Last edited:
more of an issue with Hyundais than with anything else, but yeah you need to watch that. A guy I work with spent literally a couple thousand dollars at the dealer because gas got to the charcoal canister and dissolved the charcoal which caused it to flow through the evap system, had to get the lines cleaned out/replaced, car was 2005 Sonata. He was told that was fairly common with those models. Actually happened to him a few times, he had a bad habit of clicking the pump a few times after the auto-shutoff clicked. Bad practice...

Wasn't paying attention at the pump today and something defective was going on with pump. It literally filled my take the filler cap. I guess I should take my OBD adapter with me for the weekend at cabin in case it throws an evap emission code.

Just drive it until the level is down some. If you go home and park ASAP, the interior will reek of fuel for a week or so. Ask me how I know, lol!

It happened to me as well, like a month ago with my wife's 09' CRV, at Costco. I didn't pay attention and the person behind me came to me to warn me, that the gasoline is pouring on the floor. Noting happened to the car.

It happened to me as well, like a month ago with my wife's 09' CRV, at Costco. I didn't pay attention and the person behind me came to me to warn me, that the gasoline is pouring on the floor. Noting happened to the car.

How did you get the fumes/stink out!? Why was it pouring on the floor? That sounds wild!

I guess the pump did not stop when it got full. I don't know how it happened, but it did.
We did not smell anything inside the cabin.

Granted, it's not gasoline, but we brim fill our diesel all the time with no ill effects.

I used to always fill my Integra to the brim, by pulling the nozzle out until only the very end was sticking in the hole and I could see the fuel come up to the top, while I topped off very slowly. I did this for several years and probably 150K miles at least, but I always had 100% accurate fuel economy calculations for every tank. Then I read about the possibility of issues with the fuel return system, fuel getting into the charcoal canister and all that, and so I stopped doing it, even though I never really experienced any issues. Nowadays I always just stop filling at the auto-shutoff point, and never top off afterwards. I use my credit card always at fuel pumps, so I don't care that it's not an even dollar amount.

However I did have the pump shutoff thing fail once, spilling gasoline out everywhere. That sucked.

I used to always fill my Integra to the brim, by pulling the nozzle out until only the very end was sticking in the hole and I could see the fuel come up to the top, while I topped off very slowly.
I was doing the same to our 1998 Honda CR-V with 174,297 miles and other cars. But two years ago the CR-V had the CEL and the code says one of the possible causes is saturated charcoal canister. Since a new canister is pretty pricy for an old car, I decided to try not topping off and see. The CEL came back twice but then hasn't come back since (knock on wood). I don't know if it's Honda thing, and you have an Integra, but I don't do topping off to the brim anymore but I do make it to the even dollar amount if possible.

The auto shut-off mechanism failed on me many times, especially when I was trying to top off slowly! What a mess! Another reason I don't do topping off to the brim anymore.

I fill my vehicles at a fast fill speed until it clicks off then fill slow until one click. Never a problem. Charcoal canisters and the evap system parts are costly so never overfill. Ed

Wow...I still top off the CX-5 till I can see the fuel. Interestingly enough, it's the only car I've had that doesn't have a flap at the top.

I suppose I better stop, or is this a 2nd hand owner's problem? (rlaugh)

I was doing the same to our 1998 Honda CR-V with 174,297 miles and other cars. But two years ago the CR-V had the CEL and the code says one of the possible causes is saturated charcoal canister. Since a new canister is pretty pricy for an old car, I decided to try not topping off and see. The CEL came back twice but then hasn't come back since (knock on wood). I don't know if it's Honda thing, and you have an Integra, but I don't do topping off to the brim anymore but I do make it to the even dollar amount if possible.

The auto shut-off mechanism failed on me many times, especially when I was trying to top off slowly! What a mess! Another reason I don't do topping off to the brim anymore.

Yeah your CRV had the B20 engine and my Integra has the B18C engine. Charcoal canisters are probably the same. Luckily I never got a CEL in the time I was topping off my system. I would always top off slowly, pulled the nozzle out until it just barely opened the flap in the filler neck, and filled until I could see the fuel. I never relied on the auto shut-off to get it to the very tippy-top.

These days I always set the nozzle to the slow fill setting, and put the nozzle away after the first shut-off. Since I'm not paying cash I see no point in getting it on an even dollar amount.

Latest posts

Back