12V port... can I use it to charge items when sleeping during a camping trip?

urban_

:
'16 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD + Tech Package Owner
So - I'm headed off for a few weeks. Going camping and won't have access to electricity. I'll have lots of electronics with me -- camera + batteries, cell phones, headlamps, and a few external battery packs. I'll be car camping, so the CX5 will be there with me.

Can I plug in a headlamp or battery pack into the 12V and it let it charge overnight? Is it possible? Or should I limit my device charging to ONLY when the car is on and in use?

It'd be great to charge up a few things while you're sleeping, but don't want to do it and risk my battery dying on me.

Kind of unrelated... but if you're camping to get away from the busy world, perhaps leave some of the electronics at home? I frequently just bring my camera and an extra battery, plus my cell phone which is off except in emergencies or for a quick email check in at the end of the day. Most Head lamps run off 3xAAA batteries.

As for your original question -- I've left my phone in the car accidentally overnight and it's been completely charged the next morning. Would I do it on purpose like you propose? Probably not. If the battery drains too much, you'll be stuck without a jump. If you're sure you can't live without your electronics, perhaps a used car battery, or an inexpensive new one with a 12v inverter or even a huge USB power bank - https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
I've done it and more. Back before LEDs I used small halogen lights for camping because I didn't like the supper bright gas lanterns. I also ran a fan.

If your worried, plug all the stuff in over it before you leave while you can still get a jump.

BTW. I never camped to get away from it all. I camped to get near what I wanted and get away from what I chose.

Vacations are and should be personal choice.

Why not look into one of those Lithium Ion car jump kits? You know the ones that are small and easy to carry yet have a large capacity, enough so to jump a car if needed? I know Costco has one that will jump a car, charge a cell phone as well as other things.

Something like this is what I'm talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

So - I'm headed off for a few weeks. Going camping and won't have access to electricity. I'll have lots of electronics with me -- camera + batteries, cell phones, headlamps, and a few external battery packs. I'll be car camping, so the CX5 will be there with me.

Can I plug in a headlamp or battery pack into the 12V and it let it charge overnight? Is it possible? Or should I limit my device charging to ONLY when the car is on and in use?

It'd be great to charge up a few things while you're sleeping, but don't want to do it and risk my battery dying on me.

Buy one of the small power inverters. Honda makes a good one. That way you can charge your phones, watch a big screen TV, run a couple of fans and keep your beer cold.

Otherwise, I charge the electronics with the car running or at least start the car and let it run for 10-15 minutes after charging everything.

To answer the OP question, YES, you can use that charging port. It is hot all the time.

I've done it while camping to get my phone charged up.

I have used that port to plug in a dash mounted solar charger to keep the battery topped off when extended parking.

Back