Cover for exposed USB cubby?

tancuan

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT
New owner here and very excited to pickup the car next weekend! Was wondering if anyone has a solution for "covering" the exposed USB-port cubby in the center console area. I'd like keep my iPod permanently docked to the USB, but I don't want to leave it out in the open due to theft/security concerns.

My last couple of cars had the USB port inside the center armrest so it wasn't a concern for me before...

Any suggestions?

If you dont want to plug and unplug it every time, I would just go with a small flash drive. It wont be noticeable if just left in. This is the one I am using and works perfect. Although I dont know of a way to go in and find specific songs like the iPad. I can create different folders of music.

Attachments

• 51+xVZ36FcL._SL1333_.jpg
    51+xVZ36FcL._SL1333_.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 168
If you dont want to plug and unplug it every time, I would just go with a small flash drive. It wont be noticeable if just left in. This is the one I am using and works perfect. Although I dont know of a way to go in and find specific songs like the iPad. I can create different folders of music.

Thanks, I think this is probably the best alternative for now. Will give it a shot!

Thanks, I think this is probably the best alternative for now. Will give it a shot!

I use a low profile 32gb flash drive permanently kept in the USB port. One thing I don't like is that the randomize function in the head unit is flawed. For example, if you're playing songs from a playlist randomly and have played 10 songs. When you shut off the car, while it remembers the position of the songs that was being played it doesn't remember the 10 songs from the list that were already played. So after driving around for a week where I would start stop the engine several times I will hear some songs repeated long before playing all the songs in the playlist.
Another option would be to keep the iPod plugged into the power outlet in the center armrest and use a 3.5mm audio cable to plug it into the audio jack next to the power outlet.

LOL it seems like there are many variants of power/USB/3.5mm combos in different cars. My center armrest only contains a power outlet. Gonna experiment with the flash drive solution.

Back