How to protect headlights from UV

:
CX-5, fwd auto
hi,
What do you do to protect headlights from UV so that it would not become foggy at later years?
I used opti-seal twice a year but is there a better way?
Thanks

Has anyone experienced any yellowing or fading yet on CX-5 headlights? My dad was asking me the other day if any advances had been made since the headlights on their 2006/2007 Toyota cars, which both have/had headlight yellowing problems. I put some Meguiar's headlight protectant on our CX-5 last weekend. I'll apply the stuff every single month if it will keep the lenses in good shape.

Has anyone experienced any yellowing or fading yet on CX-5 headlights? My dad was asking me the other day if any advances had been made since the headlights on their 2006/2007 Toyota cars, which both have/had headlight yellowing problems. I put some Meguiar's headlight protectant on our CX-5 last weekend. I'll apply the stuff every single month if it will keep the lenses in good shape.

I put the Scotchgard Pro film on the headlights, it protects the clear plastic from scratches, easier to clean squashed bugs. 3M also claims that the film protects against UV. I've only used the film on my Accord for 2 years, and the CX-5 for less than a year so I can't tell how well it'll work in the long run. So far, all the headlights are still look like new, and the film are completely invisible (at one point I forgot the film is there and was about to peel a lifted corner off).

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1071747O/3m-scotchgard-ppf-faqs.pdf

Does Scotchgard Paint Protection Film resist yellowing?
Yes, it resists yellowing because the film is constructed of thermoplastic urethane, a tough, conformable material that is covered by a clear coat layer. The film and clear coat layers contain UV protection to counteract harmful ultraviolet rays that can cause yellowing.

I put the Scotchgard Pro film on the headlights, it protects the clear plastic from scratches, easier to clean squashed bugs. 3M also claims that the film protects against UV. I've only used the film on my Accord for 2 years, and the CX-5 for less than a year so I can't tell how well it'll work in the long run. So far, all the headlights are still look like new, and the film are completely invisible (at one point I forgot the film is there and was about to peel a lifted corner off).

Did you install them yourself? I tried to put some 3M film onto my mom's 2007 Camry headlights, but just couldn't get it to lay down onto the compound curves, even with heat. I ended up having to abort the installation and throw out the film.

Has anyone experienced any yellowing or fading yet on CX-5 headlights?

I have one of the early 2013 models (built in Feb 2012). I haven't done anything to the headlights and they look like new. It's parked in a garage at work Mon-Fri until 3pm, otherwise it's outside all of the time.

Did you install them yourself? I tried to put some 3M film onto my mom's 2007 Camry headlights, but just couldn't get it to lay down onto the compound curves, even with heat. I ended up having to abort the installation and throw out the film.

I got quite puzzled when I received the films, too. They're smaller than the mirrors and headlights, although their shapes do give a hint of how to align them. Turned out they're quite stretchy. What I did was to use painter tape to align and tape it at one corner, then stretch it at the opposite corner/tip and tape there. Just keep stretching and taping until you have it covers the whole headlight at the corners/tips, then start stretching the edges and tape again. As soon as you squeeze out the soap water under the film, the tapes are not needed for that portion/section anymore.

Also, I don't pull with my fingers, but instead put half of the tape on a corner, pull the tape, then press the other half of the tape down on the metal surrounding. No fingerprint, no tearing.

I'm not sure what the proper technique should be, but that's how I did it.

Back