My Aching Back!!

Buzzer777

:
Mazda,CX-5, AWD,2015 Grand Touring, Meteor Gray Mica
Well, I could not take it any more and I Will miss the ZOOM ZOOM BUT...(Not getting any younger) The CX-5 was killing my back sooo. I bit the bullet and traded for a used (2013) Lexus Rx350 Premium. While definately not fun like the CX-5, This SUV is so comfortable and the options....Like air conditioned seats!! (its like 1000D F +, in the Nevada High Desert!! The memory seat, steering are simply amazing and it has power folding side mirrors + + power liftgate...really a completely different ride!

I will be hanging out here in the forum for a few weeks and will miss most of You'all and the most informative posts!l, along with all the fun the CX-5 handed me! Funny, I cannot believe all the Lexus' around here...never noticed until today! Must be a bunch of us old fa*rts here LOL....

Later Buzzer...

Last edited:
Congrats on the new ride. Posts some pics! Always enjoy pictures of everyones cars. Even non Mazdas. I would imagine within a few years(hopefully)Mazda will start including those features your Lexus has. There are plenty of non luxury CUVs that have them now as well. But anyway, enjoy your new ride.

Thank You...

Thanks a bunch...needed a bit of re-enforcement!.

Perhaps you could explain how I can post Pics? In all this time, I have never figured it out!
I will take some as soon as it cools down a bit..currently 100+ and higher in my garage! Argh..

Mean time here is a link to The SUV at the dealership...Lots of pictures + complete description!
https://www.dolanrenomazda.com/used...350-Reno-c940ac900a0e0a6b0659dd738d21516f.htm

Would you believe that the wood trim is Real! Each piece of trim and steering wheel is cut from the SAME piece of wood! Talk about attention to detail and mass produced to boot! :)

Now...While much more refined is the Nav than the CX-5 (and accurate...) I could not figure how to turn the sucker OFF until I got home...I guess they all have their quirks but at least this one listens to my voice and obeys (so far :))! Nice big screen, but uses a joystick or voice selection and not touch screen..

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch...needed a bit of re-enforcement!.

Perhaps you could explain how I can post Pics? In all this time, I have never figured it out!
I will take some as soon as it cools down a bit..currently 100+ and higher in my garage! Argh..

Mean time here is a link to The SUV at the dealership...Lots of pictures + complete description!
https://www.dolanrenomazda.com/used...350-Reno-c940ac900a0e0a6b0659dd738d21516f.htm

Would you believe that the wood trim is Real! Each piece of trim and steering wheel is cut from the SAME piece of wood! Talk about attention to detail and mass produced to boot! :)

Now...While much more refined is the Nav than the CX-5 (and accurate...) I could not figure how to turn the sucker OFF until I got home...I guess they all have their quirks but at least this one listens to my voice and obeys (so far :))! Nice big screen, but uses a joystick or voice selection and not touch screen..

So I use http://tinypic.com/ Just go there, upload your picture and set for a forum. And boom, that's it!. Copy the link and post it in the text area.

Looks nice though. How is the fuel economy? Does it have HID headlights?

Yeah, the cx5 voice commands are very subpar. I wish they would bring AA and that would solve everything! As much as I love the control knob, that's what holding it up.

Will try the Pics later after it cols down A BIT!

So I use http://tinypic.com/ Just go there, upload your picture and set for a forum. And boom, that's it!. Copy the link and post it in the text area.

Looks nice though. How is the fuel economy? Does it have HID headlights?

Yeah, the cx5 voice commands are very subpar. I wish they would bring AA and that would solve everything! As much as I love the control knob, that's what holding it up.

FUEL ECONOMY IS OK I GUESS FOR A 6 CYL...ABOUT 18/24 THEY SAY! yES, IT DOES RUN ON PREMIUM THOUGH AND IT IS A GOOD THIMNG MY TRIPS ARE SHORT!

Yes, HIDs are included in MINE) premium model but they do not articulate. I pursued the question and was told that Lexus once had the moving HIDs but they found it quite Expensive to repair, which I guessed with the CX-5.. It is amazing that in today's world, Hids or LED headlights are not standard. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mtns and Halogens just do not cut it! Way back on my old 2004 A4 Audi there were HIDS and I got hooked back then! Yea, the HID bulbs are expensive but well worth it and are so much safer..Especially when looking at a deer in the road or even worse... a large brown or black BEAR! ...We've got them too, but they usually stay up around Lake Tahoe, except in times of drought,, and feeding their young (like we are in our 5th year of drought! Recently, there have been reports of bears swimming in Tahoe resident's pools not to mention the constant breaking into people's cars and houses looking for food...sometimes BEER!! (I kid you not)

Interesting. I went from an Audi Allroad to the CX-5 BECAUSE of my back. I went from 2 hrs max in most cars including the AUDi to 7 or 8 in the CX-5. BTW my back and I are 69

We are all different.

BTW I did test drive a Lexus

Frank

Uploading Pics to forum..FAIL

Hey Frank.
After 1/2 hour of trying to Upload pics to the forum...FAIL!!
Tried the Iphone and my 35mm Nikon / on SD card+ Win 10 pc + Imac OS10...Massive fail on each...Will have to settle for the dealership photos which ARE BETTER THAN MINE AS WELL!

Later Buzzer (Jeff)

Well, I could not take it any more and I Will miss the ZOOM ZOOM BUT...(Not getting any younger) The CX-5 was killing my back sooo. I bit the bullet and traded for a used (2013) Lexus Rx350 Premium. While definately not fun like the CX-5, This SUV is so comfortable and the options....Like air conditioned seats!! (its like 1000D F +, in the Nevada High Desert!! The memory seat, steering are simply amazing and it has power folding side mirrors + + power liftgate...really a completely different ride!
Each person is built differently unfortunately the driver seat and suspension on CX-5 don't fit you. Lexus RX 350 definitely is a nice luxury SUV and is very popular. You should enjoy it greatly.

... Would you believe that the wood trim is Real! Each piece of trim and steering wheel is cut from the SAME piece of wood! Talk about attention to detail and mass produced to boot! :)
Well, Mazda has genuine Rosewood used in the worlds finest musical instruments on the center console of new 2016 CX-9 Signature which is on par to your Lexus RX 350 with Premium Package. ;)

2016-Mazda-CX-9-Signature-AWD-122-876x535.jpg

FUEL ECONOMY IS OK I GUESS FOR A 6 CYL...ABOUT 18/24 THEY SAY! yES, IT DOES RUN ON PREMIUM THOUGH AND IT IS A GOOD THIMNG MY TRIPS ARE SHORT!

Yes, HIDs are included in MINE) premium model but they do not articulate. I pursued the question and was told that Lexus once had the moving HIDs but they found it quite Expensive to repair, which I guessed with the CX-5.. It is amazing that in today's world, Hids or LED headlights are not standard. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mtns and Halogens just do not cut it! Way back on my old 2004 A4 Audi there were HIDS and I got hooked back then! Yea, the HID bulbs are expensive but well worth it and are so much safer..
Yeah once you have a 6 cylinder, the gas mileage suffers! But you actually should be able to use regular gas as your V6 is not turbo charged. Your owner's manual should only say premium gas is "recommended" and regular gas can be used. The powertrain computer will make proper adjustment on timing for regular gas.

I like HID/Xenon headlights since very early days and I wouldn't want a new car without it. We special ordered our 2000 BMW 528i only because nobody had a 5 Series with HID! I also believe the longevity of Adaptive Front Lighting System is questionable as it does have mechanical moving parts and they eventually will wear out like our 528i which has auto-leveling function but it's broken for a while. Xenon bulb is not too expensive if you're willing to try those Chinese products. I just replaced mine on 528i for $10 a pair! Lexus, Mazda, and others do have Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH) which is constructed from a matrix of individually dimmable LEDs, each aimed in a different direction. It uses full electronic control with variety of beam patterns for different situation without any mechanical moving parts. Unfortunately ALH is not allowed in the US due to DOT/NHSTA ancient headlight regulation.

So far on this forum, I have notice one common element, all of the back complaints have one thing in common, the leather seats of the GT...

So far on this forum, I have notice one common element, all of the back complaints have one thing in common, the leather seats of the GT...
Well I have a friend he didn't like the cloth seat on his 2014 Touring! Once he had a chance with insurance money replacing it when his CX-5 suffered severe hail damage earlier this year, he immediately jumped on a 2016.5 CX-5 GT! He said he feels the seat is much more comfortable and supportive!

Many people thought they're the same seats between Sport/Touring and GT other than seat material, but the fact is they're different seats in shape and support. GT has leather-trimmed "sport" seats! People have to sit on both and feel the difference.

I had the 2015 GT..

Well I have a friend he didn't like the cloth seat on his 2014 Touring! Once he had a chance with insurance money replacing it when his CX-5 suffered severe hail damage earlier this year, he immediately jumped on a 2016.5 CX-5 GT! He said he feels the seat is much more comfortable and supportive!

Many people thought they're the same seats between Sport/Touring and GT other than seat material, but the fact is they're different seats in shape and support. GT has leather-trimmed "sport" seats! People have to sit on both and feel the difference.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I found the Leather seats in the 2015 GT supportive but I still think it was the stiffer ride (especially over bumps) that took its toll on my injured back! So far, the seats, also leather (wherever that 'leather" is) in the Lexus is also supportive. I think it is the actual "ride" characteristics that I find more comfortable for me. Again, I was injured in my teens (back injury) that I believe is/was the culprit. I was told by the doctors early in my 20's that as I aged, (and became "brittle" LOL,) that it would progressively get worse...Right they were + As I aged, my weight went from about 150lbs to about 170lbs and around my middle...all contributing to the problem (and loss of my CX-5, in favor of an "old man's car...Lexus).

OH Well..***It was the timing that really got to me...I got the 2015 CX-5 GT about 1.5 yrs ago and No back problems, even driving and cornering aggressively! Back began acting up about 2 months ago and got steadily worse...Bad enough to get me to part with some serious $$ to get something more comfortable!
On a funny note, I have an appointment with the "training" tech at Lexus who will spend about 2+ hrs teaching me about all the new goodies...LOL (seriously)

Yeah...the wood in the new CX-9 is nice in the pics, but I have not seen it in person...

Last edited:
Bought my GT to solve my back problem with vehicle seats.
I agree, and think nearly everyone will be totally happy with the GT seats. I was not trying to demerit the GT seats, I was just simply noticing that of the people who have commented or complained on the forum about how they cannot stand the seats, have all seemed to be GT owners. Like my mama always said "There's a butt for every seat!"

I have had killer back problems the last few years. Some mornings I would wake up and hobble out to the couch to lay on a heating pad for 30 mins or so just so I could get ready for work. I went through the whole PT thing, but doc wanted to see me 3 times a week at $50 cash each on top of insurance, so that was a no go. Within a week of getting the Mazda, it was like night and day. Turns out doc thinks my long commutes in my 2001 Ford Ranger with worn down seats was a big part of the problems. I don't even know where the heating pad is I haven't used it in so long.

Not saying the seats are right for everyone, and sure there are some better options out there, but I'm happy with mine. The cloth seats in the touring did feel much softer when I sat in them at the dealership.

I have lower herniated disk and I don't have any issues with my back. On top of that, I'm lowered on CS springs with 20" wheels.

Worse seats I ever drove on were a 2011 Honda Accord's. Soft numb ride. Soft seat bottoms. Woohoo but the seat's back has a plate that kicks into you.

Hmmm.The RX 350 can run on premium I guess..

FUEL ECONOMY IS OK I GUESS FOR A 6 CYL...ABOUT 18/24 THEY SAY! YES, IT DOES RUN ON PREMIUM THOUGH AND IT IS A GOOD THING MY TRIPS ARE SHORT!

Yes, HIDs are included in MINE) premium model but they do not articulate. I pursued the question and was told that Lexus once had the moving HIDs but they found it quite Expensive to repair, which I guessed with the CX-5.. It is amazing that in today's world, Hids or LED headlights are not standard. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mtns and Halogens just do not cut it! Way back on my old 2004 A4 Audi there were HIDS and I got hooked back then! Yea, the HID bulbs are expensive but well worth it and are so much safer..Especially when looking at a deer in the road or even worse... a large brown or black BEAR! ...We've got them too, but they usually stay up around Lake Tahoe, except in times of drought,, and feeding their young (like we are in our 5th year of drought! Recently, there have been reports of bears swimming in Tahoe resident's pools not to mention the constant breaking into people's cars and houses looking for food...sometimes BEER!! (I kid you not)

After doing a bit more reading, Apparently the RX350 is able to run on 87 octane! I may try a half a tank but even if it is possible, I don't think I will make it a habit. Not sure what the compression ratio is but I do know and the 6 cyl autos probably do better with 91 oct...Besides why run a 6 cyl. car like that on regular when I do not have to?on that Reno is about 5000+ above sea level. I will have to locate the article, but I think it said it was quite capable running on it...along with..

WOULD YOU BELIEVE?..Cadillac ATS 3.6 6cyl! Whoa...More...Caddy has a few other 6's and even the Lexus ES350...I dunno...just "feels" wrong...Like filling up using the GREEN handled pump! Ouch...

Last edited:
I have had killer back problems the last few years. Some mornings I would wake up and hobble out to the couch to lay on a heating pad for 30 mins or so just so I could get ready for work. I went through the whole PT thing, but doc wanted to see me 3 times a week at $50 cash each on top of insurance, so that was a no go. Within a week of getting the Mazda, it was like night and day. Turns out doc thinks my long commutes in my 2001 Ford Ranger with worn down seats was a big part of the problems. I don't even know where the heating pad is I haven't used it in so long.

Not saying the seats are right for everyone, and sure there are some better options out there, but I'm happy with mine. The cloth seats in the touring did feel much softer when I sat in them at the dealership.

Backs can be very frustrating. You watch as your friend goes in for heart valve surgery and is out the next day but no one can figure out why you hurt. After a fall and a fractured vertebra in my upper back I was in pain for over a year. 3 MRIs and 5 surgeons later I got one that would talk to me. He told me it was a muscle problem and to see a PT. She saw me 3 times and taught me a series of exercises that I do every day. No pain. what drove me to the CX-5 was lower back / leg pain. I realized that when I rode in something where I sat high on a firm seat I was much better. I hatted the handling of the friends SUVs and vans I was riding in but I didn't hurt. The CX5 was fun and didn't hurt.

I say all this to urge anyone with back pain to keep trying, keep experimenting, Rent a different kind of vehicle for a week, sleep on the floor, When you find out what works for you go there. When others tell you not to go there ignore them.

Former low slung sports car driver.

I find these threads and discussions interesting as I also suffer from lower back / high leg pain. My doc thinks it is an ischial bursitis or piriformis problem and has wanted to inject me...I respectfully declined and instead do the stretching learned in PT.

I don't know the cause, but I have a 2016 GT and I find the leather seats to be firmer than any other car I've previously owned. It isn't the backrest that gives me problems - it is the bottom cushion. More specifically, I feel that the seam between the different sections of the cushion hits me in the wrong place. I have adjusted, and readjusted, and readjusted some more, but no position gives me lasting comfort. I purchased thin cushions to place on top of the seat and the Ergo21 travel is the only one that I find somewhat comfortable. I put the Ergo21 aside in lieu of trying this - http://amzn.to/2aOuNhb. The cover provides some relief from the stiff seam, but isn't likely a long-term solution.

My current sitting position is raised, backrest slightly reclined, and bottom cushion angled upward (not to full, but close). The lack of memory seats makes it so that I don't want to make any more adjustments for fear of not returning to what I currently have. However, I just rode in my brother's MB CLK and found the low, bucketed seating position a bit more comfortable (seats were also firm). For the sake of reference, I am 5'10" and ~160 lbs. I welcome any suggestions folks have re: adjustment / ideas to try.

Net-net - it is a bit depressing having spent money on a new car without the ability to fully enjoy the driving experience. I suppose the good news for whomever inherits it from me (sell, trade, or fight through discomfort for the next four years until my daughter learns to drive) will be the low mileage. Incidentally, the first two options are unlikely given the likely monetary loss.

M

Back