2016.5 CX-5 Questions

Balsagna

:
08 Mazda 3
Hey all,

New user here and is my first post. So, I've been intrigued by the CX-5 since it's debut a few years ago, but haven't had a need to jump to the crossover segment. Anyways, there are some really good leasing deals going on around my area, and am considering jumping on the 2016.5's right now to take advantage of the incentives. Yes, leasing works out better for me than buying currently.

Anyways, the real questions: Do you guys feel that the GT is worth the price hike over a Touring? From my research, the touring was the "sweet spot" in this segment as it had most of the wanted features, with the most reasonable price point. The only real features I see beneficial to "me" in the GT is the sunroof and upgraded interior. I'm a techy and enjoy the extra features, but it seems the touring has most of that added in.. And one of the biggest attractions to me to the CX-5 isn't the actual body, but the lighting of the car, thus it's upgraded in the touring and not in the GT (unless I'm mistaken, please point out if I have anything wrong.) - Do you feel the leather interior is that much premium over the touring version, despite it being cloth?

Does the CX-5 have any ambient lighting inside? I couldn't find any, but thought I'd ask.

Also, since it is a 2016.5 model, that means it's just a small refresh and I have a fear that the 2017's whenever they may release will have the CX-9's engine along the same design queues that the CX-3 and CX-9 have (which I actually like a lot better, but those cars aren't practical for me) - Is there any word of what changes in the 2017? Or a typical date when Mazda has new year releases?

Lastly, I've heard a lot of talk about the peppyness in the 2.5L's and how it seems to be pretty slow in acceleration. I haven't test drove the car yet, but how do you feel this would compare to the sport version of my old 08 Mazda3?

Thanks everyone, and sorry if my post wasn't that constructive. It's about 2:30am here and I'm up just obsssing over all of these cars lol.

Go drive one

I will be driving one today to get the feel of it. But again, what about the differences between the Touring and Grand Touring. I'm looking for input on all the features, are they used, are they justfied and so on. I'm used to pretty bland cars, vehicles that get me from point A to point B with maybe power windows and AC lol.

Blind spot monitoring, lane departure etc etc, I don't think I'll get a good justification in a 15min drive which is why I want to get other peoples input

There are 2017 rumors floating around. Use the search function to find the thread.
IMHO I don't see any reason for significant changes since the 2016 was a refresh.

The 2.5L is pretty peppy, I don't think anyone really needs anything faster. In fact, in other parts of the world, the CX-5 is only sold with the 2L. Towing with the CX-5 regularly is not exactly what this vehicle is for, but might be the only reason to get more power.

Touring can be had with a sunroof and you can get the tech-package to get LED lights/other doohickeys. It all essentially depends on your personal preference. I don't like the smell of the chemicals used on leather and prefer the feel of fabric. In fact, I don't like the leather on my steering wheel. For me, there was nothing I wanted in the GT trim, I even ordered mine without sunroof, instead of buying from the dealer's lot because I don't want one. However, I would be willing to pay more for extra safety tech.
Others swear by every little extra feature in the GT + Tech package, so it depends to which group you belong to.

1. One of the attractive point on CX-5 over other compact CUVs is the availability of LED lightings. With GT + Tech Package which comes with LED headlights with AFS, LED fog lights, LED DRLs, LED taillights, and LED brake lights. You can get LED lighting on CX-5 Touring with Moonroof/Bose Package and Touring Tech Package, which is $2,105 MSRP less than a CX-5 GT with Tech Package; but for a GT with Tech you do get:
    • 19" instead of 17" alloy wheels;
    • Leather-trimmed sport seats instead of premium cloth seats;
    • 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support instead of 6-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with manual lumbar support;
    • Dual-zone automatic climate control instead of manual air conditioning;
    • Heated side mirrors;
    • SiriusXM satellite radio and SiriusXM all-access package;
    • Some trim upgrades on steering wheel, dash, and door panels.
    Notice that GT does come with leather "sport" seats and the shape of the seats is a little different from Touring cloth seats. You want to seat on both and feel the difference.

2. No, CX-5 doesn't come with any ambient lighting in the cabin.

3. It's been "almost" confirmed from many sources in Asia that Mazda will have 2nd generation CX-5 coming out for 2017 MY with the design more resembling new CX-9. SkyActiv-G 2.5T Turbo would be available for 2nd-gen CX-5. It's supposed to be previewed at LA Auto Show in November, and should be available for the US market in early summer of 2017.

4. 0-60 for a 2.5L CX-5 AWD is 7.7 seconds tested by Car and Driver. I really don't think it's "slow" in acceleration for a compact CUV. But this is a CUV, it'd feel differently from your old '08 Mazda3 Sport. Go test drive one and see the difference.

Last edited:

1. One of the attractive point on CX-5 over other compact CUVs is the availability of LED lightings. With GT + Tech Package which comes with LED headlights with AFS, LED fog lights, LED DRLs, LED taillights, and LED brake lights. You can get LED lighting on CX-5 Touring with Moonroof/Bose Package and Touring Tech Package, which is $2,105 MSRP less than a CX-5 GT with Tech Package; but for a GT with Tech you do get:
    • 19" instead of 17" alloy wheels;
    • Leather-trimmed sport seats instead of premium cloth seats;
    • 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support instead of 6-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with manual lumbar support;
    • Dual-zone automatic climate control instead of manual air conditioning;
    • Heated side mirrors;
    • SiriusXM satellite radio and SiriusXM all-access package;
    • Some trim upgrades on steering wheel, dash, and door panels.
    Notice that GT does come with leather "sport" seats and the shape of the seats is a little different from Touring cloth seats. You want to seat on both and feel the difference.

2. No, CX-5 doesn't come with any ambient lighting in the cabin.

3. It's been "almost" confirmed from many sources in Asia that Mazda will have 2nd generation CX-5 coming out for 2017 MY with the design more resembling new CX-9. SkyActiv-G 2.5T Turbo would be available for 2nd-gen CX-5. It's supposed to be previewed at LA Auto Show in November, and should be available for the US market in early summer of 2017.

4. 0-60 for a 2.5L CX-5 AWD is 7.7 seconds tested by Car and Driver. I really don't think it's "slow" in acceleration for a compact CUV. But this is a CUV, it'd feel differently from your old '08 Mazda3 Sport. Go test drove one and see the difference.

I had a 2006 3 and the difference in acceleration is negligible. There's more body roll because its a taller vehicle, but well controlled especially for a cuv. We also currently own a 2.0l 3 and the 2.5 in my cx-5 feels a little bit quicker, probably due to the earlier torque peak. The seats are wider in the cx5. This, plus the taller vantage point, can make a vehicle feel slower than a low slung car, even it actually isn't.

Hey all,

Tested the car today and typically I am not the type of person to drive off the lot that same day.... but I had a great experience at the dealership I went to and got (what I think) an awesome price right out of the gate on the Grand touring model along with the Tech Package and a few other added in options for $26,450 which included about a $1000 in the negative equity of my other car. Not sure what you all think, but for the Grand Touring + Tech package and a few other small accessory upgrades such as the door sill plates, the roof racks as an example. It's the 2016.5 Soul Red verson

Loving the car so far! It's about the same when it comes to pickup as the old 08, maybe a little more pep being a newer car and having a sport mode and such which does make a big difference to me, especially in this car over other manufacturers.

Thanks all

Hey all,

Tested the car today and typically I am not the type of person to drive off the lot that same day.... but I had a great experience at the dealership I went to and got (what I think) an awesome price right out of the gate on the Grand touring model along with the Tech Package and a few other added in options for $26,450 which included about a $1000 in the negative equity of my other car. Not sure what you all think, but for the Grand Touring + Tech package and a few other small accessory upgrades such as the door sill plates, the roof racks as an example. It's the 2016.5 Soul Red verson

Loving the car so far! It's about the same when it comes to pickup as the old 08, maybe a little more pep being a newer car and having a sport mode and such which does make a big difference to me, especially in this car over other manufacturers.

Thanks all

I assume that was not the OTD cost especially in Soul Red. Was it a loaner?

I assume that was not the OTD cost especially in Soul Red. Was it a loaner?

Yes. That was the cost of the car out the door and it was not a loaner. Of course, I had to factor in sales/title etc at the end. But that did include roughly $1000 in negative equity for my old car. So really it was even less for the car, not sure why they discounted it so much....

Repaired hail damage possibly
You may be right! $26,450 for a brand new 2016.5 GT with Tech even before the TTL is a price we've never heard of! I wonder what is the production date for the car, and are there memory driver seat and 6-way power passenger seat in the car?

I was also wondering if the dealers need to disclose the information of hail damage repair? It's hard to tell a new car which went through a PDR job for hail damage unless the dealer tells you.

It didn't have any previous hail damage. I actually brought that up as one of the first things because I wanted to know if they were repaired or what was going on with them. This dealership sold out of the hail damaged vehicles months ago.
I could probably get the production date. I don't believe the car has memory seat/power passenger either.

As for the price, I basically went in only in interest, not to wage a deal and made it very clear. I wouldn't let them run my credit, I simply wanted to check out the car and check out the leasing terms that this dealership had as the one closer to my house, I was not impressed with.
The dealer actually new my girlfriend from highschool as he dated her best friend, that might of helped a little bit on the 'crook' part, but I also told him that my brother is a salesman and I know what to look for (total fib, I don't even have a brother lol) so again, that helped with numbers out of the gate. I told them the real reason I was in there was because my car was just in a small hit and run and while I was waiting to hear back if it's going to be totalled or not, I decided to look at the vehicles in the segment.

Supposedly the big reason with such a good deal was because Saturday was the last day for the Lease special going on and they still had inventory they needed to move. Now I know that is "always" the case, but I think it was actually true. When you couple in that it's getting close to the end of the year, it could be that they're just trying to make room at this specific dealership. They really did have tons of CX-5's collecting dust. Some of them weren't even touched in weeks lol

Oh wow on the tons of models collecting dust part - I wonder if the 2018 rumours are really circulating or if people aren't buying

That is quite the deal for a GT w. Tech! If you don't mind sharing, what did the net cap cost end up being and other lease terms?

I'll have to check on the net cap.
But the lease was 0 down. Mazda makes first payment for you and with 12,000 miles leeway.
I'll have to also check the residuals and moneyfactor. Not sure off the top of my head either.

Been loving the car so far, it really does have some pep to it in the sport mode more than what I was thinking. The Air conditioner in this thing is a load of poop. Then again, good old san antonio was at 115 today..... It was as if the air just quit, it seems putting the car in Auto for the air works the best vs's cranking it up all the way.

Oh wow on the tons of models collecting dust part - I wonder if the 2018 rumours are really circulating or if people aren't buying

I went in today for my first oil change and the dealership is a Kia/Mazda the guy said the new kia was flying out like tha mazda did when the 14 hit and the CX-5 which the have lots of aren't moving.

Back