Steering Wheel Cover

I'm pretty sure that is the one I ordered on amazon. I bought a cheepo $12 one from advance auto, and it didn't really fit. Kind of could move around the wheel.
So I splurged and got the one in the link. It is a lot fatter than the stock wheel, but I got used to it after a day or so.
I have some pics on my work computer I think. If i have time tomorrow I'll post them.

I'm pretty sure that is the one I ordered on amazon. I bought a cheepo $12 one from advance auto, and it didn't really fit. Kind of could move around the wheel.
So I splurged and got the one in the link. It is a lot fatter than the stock wheel, but I got used to it after a day or so.
I have some pics on my work computer I think. If i have time tomorrow I'll post them.

Pics would be great if you have a chance to post - thx!

Mine is peeling on the left side. I usually have left elbow out the winda with the right hand on the shifter. The pleat her on the shifter is holding up. As is the JDM yo leather armrest cover I got. Eventually I want to get a Kenstyle wheel.

I tried a couple of the slip on types over the years, never could find any to fit tight enough so they all went right back.
My prefered cheap style can be tricky to install but once lacing is right they last for me.
Installed one on truck in 2000 and on CX-5 2years and counting.

Attachments

• mazdacx-5.JPG
    mazdacx-5.JPG
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 344
Not on the type I like. If a proper fit it stretches a bit to fit the steering wheel which helps hold it in place while lacing.
Look at my pic closer and you can see small gap where edges meet on inside curve of wheel.
For best results warmer weather is good as lacing needs to be evenly tensioned so all stays tight over time.
I do finish it with one addional step, I run the lace end straight under the cover for 4-6" or so before trimming the excess.
To help lace ending work easier a leather lacing needle or smallish crochet hook or similar is a big help.

Does the steering wheel always need to come off for lacing a new cover?

I see some review posts about purchasing a cover for the steering wheel (to either prevent or because of peeling). Any suggestions as to which to buy? Has anyone tried this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

This one is similar to the one you posted (according to the picture), but prime eligible and there are pictures in the reviews section from CX-5 owners:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I HIGHLY recommend it. It's obviously tight to put on and requires some force, but once you put it on, it looks and feels great. I have the CX-5 Sport (no leather at all on my steering wheel), and I was hesitant about the cover at first, but you can't beat the price. It also makes the steering wheel much beefier, and although it doesn't wrap around the entire steering wheel, like one that is sewed on), I have no complaints. I've had mine for only about 3 months (with my car sitting in direct sunlight mostly every day for 8+ hours) and it has showed no signs of fading so far. One plus is that the leather feels softer now and more comfortable after use.

FYI - the thing will smell for a solid 5 or so days once you take it out of the packaging. I would recommend leaving it in your garage and letting it air out, although I only waited for one day to put it on.

Does the steering wheel always need to come off for lacing a new cover?

And to answer your question, you can put this directly over your existing leather steering wheel on your GT. Just expect to use some force to put it on; on the plus side, it'll ensure a tight close fit that won't move while you drive.

Back