RPM max in auto

blackbear

:
Mazda CX5 Touring 2016.5
Just noticed my redline is 6 grand+ on my tach but I'm lucky if it hits 5600 - 5700 rpm before it shifts in auto mode in the first 3 gears. (not noticed highway speeds) If I put it into manual shift mode it will bounce off the limiter and kill the acceleration which I would expect, but why in auto it never comes even close to redline. This 2.5 is lazy enough, but to not even venture to redline! Anyone else noticed this?

Just noticed my redline is 6 grand+ on my tach but I'm lucky if it hits 5600 - 5700 rpm before it shifts in auto mode in the first 3 gears. (not noticed highway speeds) If I put it into manual shift mode it will bounce off the limiter and kill the acceleration which I would expect, but why in auto it never comes even close to redline. This 2.5 is lazy enough, but to not even venture to redline! Anyone else noticed this?

That is because the horsepower and torque curves peak before redline, so there is no acceleration advantage to going all the way to red line. In fact, it will be slower if you redline it.

Here is a dyno chart for the 2.0L, can't seem to see one for a 2.5L, but the 2.5L has its HP peak ~ 400 RPM lower than the 2.0L

dyno2.png

Last edited:
Thanks for that reply, makes sense. Guess I am still looking for something that will never be and in comparison to my 08 Toyo Rav4 V6 is down almost 100hp. And gas mileage is somewhat disappointing with the CX-5 as well. Maybe the estimates for city mileage was the outskirts of Nebraska. Here in Seattle I average 17 city and 27 hwy. My old Rav4 nearly matched the mpg.

Thanks for that reply, makes sense. Guess I am still looking for something that will never be and in comparison to my 08 Toyo Rav4 V6 is down almost 100hp. And gas mileage is somewhat disappointing with the CX-5 as well. Maybe the estimates for city mileage was the outskirts of Nebraska. Here in Seattle I average 17 city and 27 hwy. My old Rav4 nearly matched the mpg.

Those are some tough shoes to fill with the previous RAV4 V-6... 0-60mph on that was around 6.4 seconds, the 2.5L CX-5 is around a full second slower.

It is 8 sec. to 60MPH, no?
17 city? How do you get that low? I drive around 10 miles to work, pretty much stop and go traffic(LA freeway driving) and on the streets, when I get home and I'm around 21MPG. I drive spirited as well. 20" wheels, that are much heavier wheels, then the 17" wheels.

Doesn't that suck?!! I had a family sedan with a 3.5 liter V-6 that got 27 mpg on the highway. I get combined 23 mpg with my CX-5. I don't know how these people get such good mileage. I'm not seeing it.

It is 8 sec. to 60MPH, no?
17 city? How do you get that low? I drive around 10 miles to work, pretty much stop and go traffic(LA freeway driving) and on the streets, when I get home and I'm around 21MPG. I drive spirited as well. 20" wheels, that are much heavier wheels, then the 17" wheels.

Well, figures vary, I have seen 7.6, 7.7, 7.8, 7.9 published by the Major publications for the 2.5 AWD.

Yes , I am wondering about the 17mpg also.. that would indeed be the lowest I have seen on here.

To be fair, the family sedan will have much lower drag. If you cruise at 80mph+, that'll easily explain it.

True, much less drag, and I cruise at 75 mph. The speed limit is 70 and I have driven through a radar speed trap at 75 and the cop doesn't move.

Well, figures vary, I have seen 7.6, 7.7, 7.8, 7.9 published by the Major publications for the 2.5 AWD.

Yes , I am wondering about the 17mpg also.. that would indeed be the lowest I have seen on here.

I average 16-18mpg here. Touring with the 2.0 engine. At highway speeds these engines show great fuel economy but in stop and go heavy traffic that is not the case. And this is using iStop around 20% of the time.

No. Mine cracks off beautiful redline shifts. I video'ed a 0-60, and then timed it watching the vid, and ended up with around 7.8.

Those are some tough shoes to fill with the previous RAV4 V-6... 0-60mph on that was around 6.4 seconds, the 2.5L CX-5 is around a full second slower.

Yeah, the CX5 is merely adequate. Even with the 2.5L. The RAV4 V6 was actually sporty, especially for its time when it first came out!

That is because the horsepower and torque curves peak before redline, so there is no acceleration advantage to going all the way to red line. In fact, it will be slower if you redline it.

Here is a dyno chart for the 2.0L, can't seem to see one for a 2.5L, but the 2.5L has its HP peak ~ 400 RPM lower than the 2.0L

dyno2.png

Not true. It's about AVERAGE HP over TIME. Shifting close to redline results in over-shooting the peak just a little, and landing behind it just a little. Shifting AT the peak would dump you on your face and you'd have to climb back up to the peak. Trust me, I tried both methods at the drag strip in previous vehicles. NOONE shifts AT their peak power output. Nada.

Back