Mazda6 rumored to get turbo from cx9...cx5 next?

If it gets the turbo plus AWD, I'll trade in my Mazdaspeed3 for it. That said, I really don't see Mazda making the turbocharged 2.5 engine exclusive to the CX-9. They just have to make it available on their other cars as well.

Yeah I think it is inevitable. Or at least offer some versions of each car that includes the turbo. Scrap the 2.0 and just have the 2.5 and 2.5 turbo.

Mazda6 is not a volume seller so imho I think they would rather put it in the Mazda 3 hatch AWD and call it the Mazdaspeed 3 and call it a day. Shoot even the CX-5 may get it before the Mazda6.

Mazda6 is not a volume seller so imho I think they would rather put it in the Mazda 3 hatch AWD and call it the Mazdaspeed 3 and call it a day. Shoot even the CX-5 may get it before the Mazda6.

A 2.5L Turbo AWD Wagon would fix that sales problem in a heartbeat.

Not sure about this. People buying compact cars I feel like are usually not concerned about hp, torque, etc. They're buying compact for efficiency.

Meanwhile midsize vehicles, more likely to need more power. They're bigger, usually more optimal to carry more people as well. Just look at the v6 accord. Actually I'd like to find some stats on whether the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder accord is more popular.

I would think the 4cyl (low power) versions are the most popular. In most cases these engines are perfectly adequate for a majority of the population.

However, it is nice to have the option for more power for the more lead footed people or the consumers who are willing to sacrifice mpg's for more power.

It's could probably show up in the 6 or CX5 to help give the 2.5T more volume to help justify the development cost of the engine, rather than just limiting volume to the cx9 production.

It'll be interesting in how Mazda decides to market the 2.5T. They've shown that they don't want to make a mazdaspeed3 or mazdaspeed6.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/07/new-mazdaspeed3-mazdaspeed6-delayed/

But they could just introduce it as a high output/more powerful/premium trim level. Just like a accord v6 or the Forester XT trim.

CX-5 with 2.5T would be the perfect contender for the Subaru Forester XT.

2.5T would totally blow the Forester XT out of the water heck I think 2.5 NA already does in just about every category except straight line acceleration..ok and cargo capacity.

And yes an AWD 2.5T 6 would be a great car and could easily double sales- I think we'll see it within a year to 18m..2.5T CX5 would be cool too

Last edited:
Maybe, they should turbo the 2.0. Many brands have this combination, even Lincoln has one(MKC). MPGs wouldn't be that bad, then with the 2.5L.

If they released an awd Turbo 3 I would trade my 2014 the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it gets the turbo plus AWD, I'll trade in my Mazdaspeed3 for it. That said, I really don't see Mazda making the turbocharged 2.5 engine exclusive to the CX-9. They just have to make it available on their other cars as well.

I'll trade in my new CX-5 for it if they do a turbo AWD 6.

Mazda will never put the (heavier) 2.5 in the Miata because it would throw off the 50:50 weight balance.

That would be a shame if the couldn't find a way to add weight in the rear to compensate.

Mazda will never put the (heavier) 2.5 in the Miata because it would throw off the 50:50 weight balance.
That would be a shame if the couldn't find a way to add weight in the rear to compensate.
I agree with paris1 that Mazda will never put the 2.5L in the MX-5 Miata. You don't want simply add more weight to the rear on Miata which will screw up the handling as the whole car becomes heavier. Moving around the existing parts such as moving the battery to the rear won't be enough either.

That's not how Mazda operates, particularly with the MX-5. BTW, the weight distribution reason has been stated many times by Mazda engineers whenever this idea is floated.

That's not how Mazda operates, particularly with the MX-5. BTW, the weight distribution reason has been stated many times by Mazda engineers whenever this idea is floated.

I get it, but its not impossible to accomplish. The weight ratio between the 2.0 and 2.5 turbo shouldn't be an issue. The the new MX-5 RF, weighs 100 more pounds in the rear with the added weight of the hard top. Mazda made tweaks to make it work, so not impossible.

Back