Noise that girl noticed?

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
So, I'm going on a hiking trip with a girl, and she asks "What's wrong with your car?!". Apparently, she heard a noise. It was present under LIGHT throttle at highway speeds, and sounds like a nut/washer/bolt inside a metal pipe being "swirled around" forcefully like a coin rolling down a wishing-well funnel. At least, that's how she described it. I have hearing loss in some frequencies, so I likely cannot hear 100% of what she does, but I DID hear somewhat what she meant. I had always written it off as maybe the way gas swirls through the cats or the folded header (My 370Z had a "rasp" exactly from this, and it was well known), or maybe the sup[er high pressure DI system, or the "pusher" fuel pump, or whatever. long story short, I've had a lot of vehicles with a lot of their own "personality" type noises. However, she seemed/seems genuinely concerned, and since she finds it odd, I'm now curious if someone knows what it is, too. The BRZ has "crickets" because of the fuel-pump, the 370Z has a "rasp", the LS-series engines have "popping" from the injectors. So what's with this?

I haven't heard any odd noises yet with my cx5. I will keep a closer ear out for any but so far no issues. I will be taking the highway coming home from work in the am an will listen then. Not sure quite sure what it could be though. Noises like that I feel are so hard to pinpoint.

I haven't heard any odd noises yet with my cx5. I will keep a closer ear out for any but so far no issues. I will be taking the highway coming home from work in the am an will listen then. Not sure quite sure what it could be though. Noises like that I feel are so hard to pinpoint.

I agree. I certainly sensed nothing DIFFERENT, though, so I bet it's made it for the last 20K miles. I'm pretty atuned to quirks like that. It happens under light throttle at highway speeds---about 25% of the throttle required to downshift. Basically, the amount of throttle used to pass a cop who is going 5mph under, lol

I've heard it too. I am pretty sure I know the sound.

Sounds like my 1999 Dodge Durango did when the spark plugs where going bad.

I can't tell you what it is in the Mazda...but I know the sound.
If anyone knows...please chime in.

I only hear it if I have no music playing to drown it out.

"a coin rolling down a wishing-well funnel"

Some thoughts:

1. Some sections of road/freeways make that sound to me sometimes.

2. My stomach when hungry

3. Check you tires

4. This >

I've heard it too. I am pretty sure I know the sound.

Sounds like my 1999 Dodge Durango did when the spark plugs where going bad.

I can't tell you what it is in the Mazda...but I know the sound.
If anyone knows...please chime in.

I only hear it if I have no music playing to drown it out.

Yeah, it's fairly quiet, but it IS unique when I finally heard a bit of it.

It is not road/tires, it is DIRECTLY related to the go-pedal as I described.

Didn't hear anything on my drive home this morning.

You may be hearing it and not knowing it, kindof like after this sentence you will be painfully aware of your actual breathing...in...and out...and in...much unlike you were before you read this and were happily doing it without thinking about it :)

I have had the car for 20k miles and this is the first I paid any mind to it, honestly. It reminds me VERY strongly of my 370Z with CBE and the "hiss", to the point that I think that MIGHT be it.

My car makes that noise when accelerating from a stop probably around 25-30mph under moderate acceleration. She's kind of right on how it sounds, sort of like a raspy rattle noise. My CX-5 has been doing it for as long as I can remember and I've never had anything come up in any of the used oil analysis so I figured it's normal and probably related to the unique exhaust manifold.

My car makes that noise when accelerating from a stop probably around 25-30mph under moderate acceleration. She's kind of right on how it sounds, sort of like a raspy rattle noise. My CX-5 has been doing it for as long as I can remember and I've never had anything come up in any of the used oil analysis so I figured it's normal and probably related to the unique exhaust manifold.

That is my best guess so far, too, either that or the fuel system.

Have you considered making one of those driving videos with this female friends in the car to share with you? You know, seat belt in between the boobs and that max accelration?

Does the noise only happen under moderate throttle application? I get a sort of exhaust manifold rattle sound when under those conditions. The engine is at low rpm's and kind of "lugging" while the transmission is holding the gear. The engine/transmission holds a low gear and the engine does it's best by creating as much low end torque as possible. Once some acceleration is achieved, the engine feels like it gets over this hump, stops lugging and smooths out as the rpm's rise.

Driving situations would be accelerating up a hill under moderate throttle.

The above is what I am hearing, thanks Deepfriedsushi

This is actually really reassuring. I thought something was wrong with the car or something on the exhaust manifold had worked itself loose. Glad to know it's not just me.

I want to say that the car didn't used to make this sound before, but it only started happening after I moved down to the much more hilly San Diego vs the flat San Jose. I now have a longer commute (20 mins vs 5 mins) so I'm coming across more situations than before. I think the types of roads around San Diego cause the car to be in this type of low rpm+moderate throttle application situation more often.

Have you considered making one of those driving videos with this female friends in the car to share with you? You know, seat belt in between the boobs and that max accelration?

I am not one to show chics off, no-matter how hot they are. My problem is that I'm a realist, and I know that if they are with me today, they were with someone else yesterday, and likely will be with someone ELSE tomorrow, so I don't like to attach my ego to something like that. Dunno if that makes sense or no

Does the noise only happen under moderate throttle application? I get a sort of exhaust manifold rattle sound when under those conditions. The engine is at low rpm's and kind of "lugging" while the transmission is holding the gear. The engine/transmission holds a low gear and the engine does it's best by creating as much low end torque as possible. Once some acceleration is achieved, the engine feels like it gets over this hump, stops lugging and smooths out as the rpm's rise.

Driving situations would be accelerating up a hill under moderate throttle.

Yes, and also under even less than that, but THAT scenario will really bring it out.

Bad catalytic converter?

A bad cat would throw an SES. I had one on a WS.6 once, and fuel economy and performance were both fine, but an SES was thrown, and the techs detected about a 1.5psi difference because of the bad cat, I was told. Something like that anyway, but it's nothing I heard, felt, or saw at the gas pump. SES caught it before any of that.

Back