Hi all, new here. Anyone have the iActive braking activate?

Audioi

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Just picked up a new GT with every box ticked including iActivesense. I am curious how much distance it takes to activate the system? I checked it out really close to a car last night and nothing, my Caddy would have been screaming at me long before.

Just picked up a new GT with every box ticked including iActivesense. I am curious how much distance it takes to activate the system? I checked it out really close to a car last night and nothing, my Caddy would have been screaming at me long before.

How fast were you going at the time? How were you expecting it to function?

Here is a link to the MAZDA site where they explain how the system works...

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/precrash_safety/sbs/

How fast were you going at the time? How were you expecting it to function?

Here is a link to the MAZDA site where they explain how the system works...

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/precrash_safety/sbs/

I was dropping off an exit on the highway at approx 35~40 mph (following my wife) and did not touch the brakes, at this point my Cadillac would have been flashing in the windshield and shaking the seat telling me its going to brake, this car did nothing. Maybe it happens later in the Mazda world?

In a 6-level parking garage (3 levels are underground) I was driving slow going up on the exit ramp. As I approached the exit arm gate the car braked by itself (an indicator light went off too). Kind of surprised me a bit. Can't say I was going anymore than 30 mph.

Last edited:
This is the part I was referring to, its found in the 2016 brochure:

/ SMART BRAKE SUPPORT4 /
Similar to Smart City Brake Support, this system
is intended to help avoid or reduce the severity of a collision, but operates at higher rates
of speed (above 10 mph) like freeway driving. The Collision Warning feature will alert the driver that braking is immediately necessary. If the radar sensor determines that a collision is unavoidable, the automatic brake control will engage.

Even though the car has the feature I think it would be really stupid to test as these guys did.

Mazda's disclaimer: * SBS is designed to reduce the risk of accidents by slowing the car when a risk of collision is detected. However the system has its limitations, and no safety system or combination of such systems can prevent all accidents. These systems are not a replacement for safe and attentive driving. Please drive carefully at all times and do not rely on technology to prevent an accident.

I've had mine activate a few times when the car in front of me was turning, and I was continuing going straight. Few times my foot was already on the brake, one time already moved foot back to gas pedal, made a pretty weird sound along with the brake now sound, lol.

I had a rental Cadillac CTS last year, and loved how the lane departure was a vibration on one side of the seat, as well as the front and rear sensors in the seat. Cadillac definitely warns of braking much earlier, but I trust my Mazda as well

I've had mine activate a few times when the car in front of me was turning, and I was continuing going straight. Few times my foot was already on the brake, one time already moved foot back to gas pedal, made a pretty weird sound along with the brake now sound, lol.

I had a rental Cadillac CTS last year, and loved how the lane departure was a vibration on one side of the seat, as well as the front and rear sensors in the seat. Cadillac definitely warns of braking much earlier, but I trust my Mazda as well

Agreed, I think Cadillac spent more money in how its displayed to the driver but hopefully the Mazda will do the same job.

I found a setting for the SCBS&SBS system that was set at NEAR, I changed it to FAR assuming this will alert sooner, time will tell.

Hopefully, I am not the only that does this but when I open my garage door, I dont wait until the garage door is all the way up before I start to enter. Well the smart braking has stopped me from doing this as it activated and stopped me dead in my tracks. I always wondered if it really worked, now I know...

Hopefully, I am not the only that does this but when I open my garage door, I dont wait until the garage door is all the way up before I start to enter. Well the smart braking has stopped me from doing this as it activated and stopped me dead in my tracks. I always wondered if it really worked, now I know...

Good way of testing, wish my garage doors were older...

This is exactly the situation in which mine has activated to date--maybe on 2-3 separate occasions. As I mentioned in that other thread, first time it happened I thought my transmission was failing! :)

Interesting! I also live dangerously this way sometimes, but it has never activated--wouldn't think that the system "senses" that far up, as I only start pulling in as the door is about 2/3s of the way up the actual opening. My main concern is taking off the shark fin antenna cover....

I've done this with both CX-5 and as yet its never operated.

I’ve never had it but I don’t follow the vehicle in front so close nor make assumptions about it turning off clear in front.

Its interesting that it has a pre brake mode to get the brake pads in contact with the discs in preparation for a full application.

You can see on the attached what might cause a spurious intervention.

Last edited:

I've done this with both CX-5 and as yet its never operated.

Its programmed to brake if certain conditions are met. For one if you've already slowed down such as pulling up into the driveway from the street it probably won't do anything. If your driving at 15 mph for 25 feet in a straight line without braking and driving towards an aluminum garage door it would probably meet conditions to stop. Then again I wouldn't want to test it for fun. Its kind of hard to emulate the simulation. You have to be lucky or you really really have to do it on purpose like the guys in the video posted.

Same thing here, but only once so far. As the other guy said, I was paying attention and my foot was already moving back over to the gas, but the breaks kicked in. Wife and I both were like WTF just happened.

Every time my wife leaves her work parking garage the brakes activate. The sensor picks up the gate raising and slams on the brakes. You would think she would learn her lesson by the 2nd time. Its going on the 4th !(headshake

Mazda has 2 braking systems. 1st. one is when you are driving very, very slow. Examples being the garage door example. That's SCBS. That's with the iActiveSense package only. The other one is at higher speeds, like the one where you are at X mph and the car in front in the ramp was slowing down, etc.

I have witnessed both. In 2nd case it saved me from being T-boned. Check my threads. The 1st. one uses the top sensors, behind the rear view mirror. The 2nd. one uses the radar behind your emblem. Primarily. 2 things here: I have seen repeated failures where testing methods used trash cans, cardboard boxes, etc. The car's sensors sees THRU them so brakes do not get activated. Also, if the emblem/windshield's dirty - you have a problem, may not work. Hazard conditions - like rain, sleet may skew up the sensors.

Back