Remote Battery Weak/Low?

runtohell121

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD Soul Red
This past few months, I notice that in colder days or even now when it's warmer, on the first start of the day, I can't start the car unless I hold the remote next to the push button. I also notice that when I lock/unlock the car, it is not locking or unlocking unless I press it multiple times. The remote light blinks as it functions with a press. So I'm not really sure if it's the battery getting low... Or if it's something else? My car is parked in my garage, so I really don't lock the door. But when I want to start the car, I always have to put the remote next to the push button in order to start it during the first drive of the day.

Definitely sounds like the remote battery, typical of them to be weaker in cold. Light will still flash as it's much less power to run the LED than it is to send a signal

Remote battery, had same issue with mine. The originals in both fobs only lasted 6 months!

CR2025 is the part number to look for when you are buying the replacement battery.

Here is a video on how to swap the battery out.

Be sure to get a Lithium battery. An Alkaline 2025 will last only a few days.

This past few months, I notice that in colder days or even now when it's warmer, on the first start of the day, I can't start the car unless I hold the remote next to the push button. I also notice that when I lock/unlock the car, it is not locking or unlocking unless I press it multiple times. The remote light blinks as it functions with a press. So I'm not really sure if it's the battery getting low... Or if it's something else? My car is parked in my garage, so I really don't lock the door. But when I want to start the car, I always have to put the remote next to the push button in order to start it during the first drive of the day.

Replace the FOB battery first. They're cheap and it will rule out other problems right away. More than likely the FOB battery is weak/dead.

Also, to the poster that said get Lithium not Alkaline. I've been using Alkaline and never had a problem. I'm going on 9 months on my current battery with no probs.
If you want Lithium fine, just don't post the Alkalines only last a few days.

Replace the FOB battery first. They're cheap and it will rule out other problems right away. More than likely the FOB battery is weak/dead.

Also, to the poster that said get Lithium not Alkaline. I've been using Alkaline and never had a problem. I'm going on 9 months on my current battery with no probs.

You can't be using Alkaline, the CR2025 is ONLY available in Lithium, just FYI.

You can't be using Alkaline, the CR2025 is ONLY available in Lithium, just FYI.
Yeah, all CR2025 batteries I've seen are lithium battery. Lithium battery has longer lasting power and shelf life than alkaline battery.

I am going by my experience.

Both those links are wrongly labeled by the seller. If you look at the package it says lithium. CR is the industrial code for lithium batteries.
I sell batteries for a living, want to hope I know what I'm talking about :p

Yeah, all CR2025 batteries I've seen are lithium battery. Lithium battery has longer lasting power and shelf life than alkaline battery.
Not all.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Yeah, although the title says "High Quality 5 PCS Cr2025 Cr 2025 3v Alkaline Button Cell Battery" but look at the actual product it says "Lithium" on package and battery itself! I agree with slidespec, I just don't think there's "Alkaline" CR2025 battery exists.

And I'd always go for name brand CR2025 batteries for long-lasting power although those sometimes are counterfeit too.

5106OMUf%2BwL._SY355_.jpg

Our 2015 has been in service just over 2 years. Over the winter, my remote survived a trip through the washer and dryer. I was amazed that it kept functioning.

Recently I started getting a remote battery low message when I shut off the engine so I ordered up a 4-pack of CR2025s from Amazon. Battery replacement takes less than 5 minutes. It turns out that the other remote battery was low too so it looks like this will be a biennial experience.

Last edited:
Replaced the battery and everything seems to be fine now. Thanks guys! Wasn't expecting the battery to go low that fast when my Honda Remote Fob/Key is on it's 6 year already on the original battery

Replaced the battery and everything seems to be fine now. Thanks guys! Wasn't expecting the battery to go low that fast when my Honda Remote Fob/Key is on it's 6 year already on the original battery
The reason why the battery for our key fob lasts a lot shorter, sometimes only a year or two, is because for push-button ignition the key fob needs to keep sending signals communicating with car ignition system, whereas the old non-push-button system your remote key fob uses the battery power only when you push the botton locking or unlocking the doors. One of the two key fobs for our 98' Honda CR-V are still having original battery and the other heavily used one just replaced a new battery a couple of years ago after 16 years!

Latest posts

Back