Test drive...from a sports-car guy

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
One of my friends has been in sports cars for a while, a C5 'vette, and now a BR-Z. I let him drive my CX-5 when I was in San Antonio, mainly because I was tired of driving, but also to get his input. Interesting things:

-"Man, yeah, it's way smoother than my BR-Z, for sure"
-It's "peppy"
-"The AWD gets it done. Wow. It STUCK when I floored it out of that corner.
-"It handles well for what it is"
-"Man, this thing has BLIND SPOTS!"
-"If I had to have a car like this, this would be a good one. I like it. But since I'm not stuck in it, I wouldn't be able to drive this long-term."

He pretty much mirrored how I feel about the thing, except the blind spots deal. Ever since he said it though, I'm noticing how terrible the blind spots really are. I came from a 370Z not so long ago, and THAT has some serious blind spots. Really though, this is not much better at all. Definitely need your mirrors in this thing! I was surprised that he commented on the "peppy-ness" of it, as opposed to commenting on the brakes. I think the brakes in the CX-5 are pretty good (although terribly modulated) for this class of vehicle!

IMO...I'm a stickler for visually checking blindspots but I do agree that BSM should be a factory standard for all models years & trim. I do appreciate mine has that option.

IMO...I'm a stickler for visually checking blindspots but I do agree that BSM should be a factory standard for all models years & trim. I do appreciate mine has that option.

I always visually verify, too. That said, I find myself feeling more like I'm driving my 370Z than my Grand Jeep Cherokee when I try to perform them. Like I said, this thing has some bad blind spots. Apparently worse than the BR-Z.

I have stuck on both sides, a 3" round mirror and I never check my blind spots. I'm lowered with Cork springs&rear sway bar and I feel like, I'm driving a sports car.

Last edited:
I don't know method on '16+ but on '13-'15 you can also turn on backup camera "if equipped" at anytime...

This gives a fairly wide rear field of view.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...nostic-Codes&p=6319452&viewfull=1#post6319452

"Make sure the radio is on when you press the key combo "Power/Volume button and the Seek Up button together"

This will take you into the diagnostic mode. Pressing the Power/Volume button will take you back to the default screen where you can enter another code.

Go into Diagnostic Mode and enter 92."

Too bad I didn't know you were in town. I would have let you drive mine.

Too bad I didn't know you were in town. I would have let you drive mine.

I'm sure I'll be back in town sooner or later. Company I do some R&D for unofficially is there, so I will be around. I'll let ya know! We need to line 'em up and see how much your mods are worth :)

I went down to look at a used one as a just for now car selling a xterra. Ended up going for the new 16.5 sport thinking just for now car. Kicking myself now for not getting at least the touring. Blind spots are bad to me. So as much as I love this car put a stereo, and wheels but it will be a just for now car. I want this thing in a turbo GT!!!

I went down to look at a used one as a just for now car selling a xterra. Ended up going for the new 16.5 sport thinking just for now car. Kicking myself now for not getting at least the touring. Blind spots are bad to me. So as much as I love this car put a stereo, and wheels but it will be a just for now car. I want this thing in a turbo GT!!!

I checked out XTErra's before this. Abysmal safety and re-sale were why I avoided. Other than that, I really liked the things!

Thinking about a $25k purchase as a "for now" car is a great way to burn through a ton of depreciation!(screwy)

Thinking about a $25k purchase as a "for now" car is a great way to burn through a ton of depreciation!(screwy)

Unless it's an FJ cruiser, which literally loses no value when you drive it off the lot. Craziness. When I was pricing them, I was finding 1-3 year old models with 10-35k miles on them for within $2-4K of BRAND NEW models with identical options on the showroom floor. And that was the NORMAL price. Not some stupid outlier.

By just for now I meant about 3 years or so. Not that big of a deal really I quit racing motorcycles so a couple K isn't much. As soon as the turbo is here I won't be able to wait long at all.

Last edited:
Cool share Uno. If your friend likes his BR-Z he'd really like the new Miata as well.

Yes it should.
The blindspots are really bad.
Unless I have my drivers seat lifted very high, there is even a blind spot large enough for a Miata, or BRZ that CANNOT be checked by looking over my shoulder.

Cool share Uno. If your friend likes his BR-Z he'd really like the new Miata as well.

I don't think so, honestly. I hate the Miata, and he has owned some of the same cars I have. let me explain...

The Miata is a phenomenal performer, and one of the best track cars on the planet, bar none. The "problem" is that it has a very soft suspension. It wallows. It rolls. This is because roll angle/amount is also an accurate gauge of "how close to the limit" you are. It is another form of driver feed-back before the tires start talking too much. However, if you grew up driving Corvette's and other things, it feels ALL WRONG. I personally HATE it, while still acknowledging how awesome the car is, fundamentally. I just hate how they drive. It feels all wrong to me. I think the BRZ/FRS was a home-run for people like me who want a "pocket corvette" or similar.

Drive a modified EVO and just replaced my Civic with the CX-5 this weekend. Honestly, the CX-5 was the only SUV I could consider driving. So far, like it a lot. I got the Sport model without the blind spot indicators since I have a skin allergy to black leather on the steering wheel on the Touring. They certainly would be nice, but I'm sure I'll get used to the blind spots.

Drive a modified EVO and just replaced my Civic with the CX-5 this weekend. Honestly, the CX-5 was the only SUV I could consider driving. So far, like it a lot. I got the Sport model without the blind spot indicators since I have a skin allergy to black leather on the steering wheel on the Touring. They certainly would be nice, but I'm sure I'll get used to the blind spots.

Sweet! Modified Evo in the stable here as well.

I will trade you non-leather 2016 CX-5 steering wheel for a leather steering wheel.

Back