Height Variation

Yupa

:
n/a
I'm considering purchasing a CX-5, but one of my concerns is the height. According to Mazda, the height of the 2016 CX-5 with antenna is 67.3" The pulling arm on my garage door has a clearance of just over 68", which doesn't leave much margin.

I don't know enough about cars to know how precise the manufacturer's measurements are. How much will the height vary from car to car or day to day? I would imagine that tire and suspension wear would only make it lower, not higher?

the garage door arm slides on the track and its height is dependent on the track. What size garage door do you have, standard is 7 foot. If you have a standard height, which is what I have, you have nothing to worry about.

My garage door is 6'4". The ceiling is 7'. As you might guess, I didn't follow the manufacturer's recommendations on clearance between door and track.

The 67.3" is probably a good number to go with. I just eyeballed mine from the front to a mark on my garage door and got 67". Unless you seriously over inflate your tires or change to oversize wheels/tires, you should be okay. Like Tccox said, no opening the tailgate while in the in garage!

I'm considering purchasing a CX-5, but one of my concerns is the height. According to Mazda, the height of the 2016 CX-5 with antenna is 67.3" The pulling arm on my garage door has a clearance of just over 68", which doesn't leave much margin.

I don't know enough about cars to know how precise the manufacturer's measurements are. How much will the height vary from car to car or day to day? I would imagine that tire and suspension wear would only make it lower, not higher?

If I were in your situation, I would not buy the car without first taking it home and making sure it fits.
If your dealer doesn't let you do that, go find another one that will.

The only factors that will cause the car to sit higher than normal would be an empty fuel tank and high tire pressure.
When the tires are hot after a long high speed drive they'll have 10+ PSI more than when they are cold.

14.5 gallons of gas weighs almost 90lbs, so when the tank is empty the car will sit a little bit higher.

Too tight a fit for me. Are you measuring from garage floor cement to bottom of garage door track? Remember there's slight variations in the cement floor too. Just too tight for me. Need at least 2-3 inches clearance.

Perfect excuse to tell wifey you need to install some H&R lowering springs.

Mine fits just fine and I can open the hatch when the garage door is open or closed and I can open/close the garage door while the hatch is fully open.
However, for the latter, it is just barely there is about an inch or less of clearance when the hatch is fully open and the garage door.

Just park a little off-center to miss the antenna. Or let some air out of the tires :)

Latest posts

Back