Interior leather protection - how important is it??

Bon Scott

Contributor
:
2014.5 CX-5 GT AWD
Hello folks,

I own a 2014 GT with sand leather interior (apparently, I managed to purchase one of the last 2 remaining in Canada with sand leather as most GT's were manufactured with black leather....but I prefer the contrast). 18 months ago I picked some some Lexol leather cleaner and another plastic jug of Lexol leather conditioner. I don't really use the cleaner much, as my leather has remained variably clean since I bought the vehicle. I apply the conditioner once every 8 months or so. After applying it again today, I got to wondering how important this actually is. What exactly does leather conditioner actually do for an automobile interior?? Does today's leather actually crack with prolonged sunlight?? Does Lexol help prevent leather from cracking?? Am I applying it at the correct intervals?? Is there any other benefit to leather conditioner??

Thoughts??

Bon Scott

It is important but I think the key here is how you USE the seats. People that use jeans with metal rivets and other pieces of clothing with metal inserts tend to damage their seats faster. Also pets, children car seats and similar devices tend to wear the seats faster so the rule should be: proper use, care, cleaning and conditioning.

Traditionally you use cleaner first, and then conditioner, and then wipe seats down with a damp clean rag to finish to remove excess product. Ive read that the leather in our car is coated by the coloring and that conditioning coated leather is almost without benefit since it cant penetrate to the leather. I use a Lexol cleaner/conditioner product that is PH balanced and is a two-in-one. I clean when seats are visibly dirty. If you keep to a schedule and avoid daily hot temperatures in the car (which dry out the leather, lead to cracking) than you are on the right path. Very little people use anything to maintain their leather seats and thats when you see the major cracking and tearing.

I had tried using the Meguiar's (MB0414) Mirror Bright Leather Lotion but it seems to take a very slight bit of black off, so no more on that particular conditioner. The same Mirror Bright Detailing Spray, however, is my absolute favorite for inside and outside of the car. Love love love it.

Back