Changed my chrome vents to carbon fiber

purplengold

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech and I-ACTIV
How do you think it looks? My side view mirrors are more usable now with zero disrupting reflection from the chrome.

e2e8882fedb4d794db985612a24c8009.jpg
d081a212f9c8664fe38b49be47906c06.jpg
8137f4c3e5633158c0d8fbfad9367192.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks OK but it doesn't match anything else. I've got the chrome trim and that brushed strip you've still got and can see the lot if I look for it so I just ignore it.

Are you changing all the chrome trim to cf?

Nah, I thought about it. I could, there is a JDM set but I like it how it is. My pics are actually very bright and washed out. When I'm in the car driving the cf look is very subtle and only noticeable when you look at it (which is a HUGE improvement over being blinded by glare when not looking directly at them and having zero reflection issues in the side view mirrors). I felt with the way it darkens the trim it actually matches better with the interior. At first I thought just having the vents cf wouldn't match but it blends in with the black very nicely. I also feel that Mazda putting all the chrome on the dash is horrible design flaw. These are my opinions and its ok if y'all disagree. I am considering doing some more carbon fiber covering of the chrome in the future. The JDM has the best accessories and mods. I really like the carbon fiber instrument panel bezel but Japan only makes them for right side drivers :(

It looks OK but it doesn't match anything else. I've got the chrome trim and that brushed strip you've still got and can see the lot if I look for it so I just ignore it.

That's cool you've mustered the ability to ignore the sun glaring in your eyes. I choose not to ignore issues and take care of them how I like to.

Actually, how things match is a matter of opinion and I think it matches the interior better than the chrome. The fact that there is other chrome still exposed (that doesn't reflect the sun into my eyes) does not mean that these don't match the rest of the car. It means that the chrome doesn't match the interior in the first place. And if you get past the idea that there is chrome under them you'd realize how much better the vents actually match the car and not the other chrome.

How do you think it looks? My side view mirrors are more usable now with zero disrupting reflection from the chrome.

e2e8882fedb4d794db985612a24c8009.jpg
d081a212f9c8664fe38b49be47906c06.jpg
8137f4c3e5633158c0d8fbfad9367192.jpg

Notice in the first pic of the stock vents how the lower one is chrome and the upper one is black? The stock chrome vents are out of place and very distracting when the sun hits them right. I would not be surprised if they are recalled.

Take a pick from the back seat? I like the idea but struggle to see how it would work without going all the way.

That's cool you've mustered the ability to ignore the sun glaring in your eyes. I choose not to ignore issues and take care of them how I like to.

Actually, how things match is a matter of opinion and I think it matches the interior better than the chrome. The fact that there is other chrome still exposed (that doesn't reflect the sun into my eyes) does not mean that these don't match the rest of the car. It means that the chrome doesn't match the interior in the first place. And if you get past the idea that there is chrome under them you'd realize how much better the vents actually match the car and not the other chrome.

It did bother me the first couple of weeks the reflection off the side windows of chrome air vent. I wish the sunroof was large but when open the sun hits the strips of aluminum in the CX-5 it blinds me, I have to put my right hand on the centre air vent.

I wonder about those plastic dip chrome cars Lambo and Audi R8 getting ticketed on the hwy for blinding people (smash) what they thought was good idea also got them extra police attention when speeding on the upper level hwy.

On the way back from Whistler I saw both car being load on to flat deck tow trucks. Getting caught going over 40km over the posted speed limit gets your vehicle impound for a week in the local paper.

I'll have to hope I don't crash my CX-5 due to this highly dangerous bit of trim. If I had a problem, which I don't, I wouldn't add another finish to the dash in isolation. I would make the rest of the trim carbon fibre or black or whatever. It's just my opinion and not intended to antagonise you.

I'll have to hope I don't crash my CX-5 due to this highly dangerous bit of trim. If I had a problem, which I don't, I wouldn't add another finish to the dash in isolation. I would make the rest of the trim carbon fibre or black or whatever. It's just my opinion and not intended to antagonise you.
Anchorman, The 2016 model already has Faux Carbon Fiber trim on both the door panels and the steering wheel, so I think it matches good, just wish it was matte of flat instead of glossy.

How did you do them Purple and gold?

Last edited:
Aye, you could be right, I think it might have now you say it. I've not actually seen the car for the best part of a month as I'm on vacation but I do seem to think the wheel has it on.

This is mine at the dealers before I picked it up.

I can see that grey woodgrain effect on the wheel which matches the centre console. There might be some on the far window switch panel but can't really tell from here. I know exactly what puplengold means about the reflections, you can actually see them on this photo but they don't bother me. I'm quite taken with the fancy brightwork in mine.

image_zps1iey7dz8.jpeg

Another thing I noticed recently was that the GT has the Brushed Alum trim around the TPMS and TCS buttons, whereas the lower trims are plain there.

Anchorman, The 2016 model already has Faux Carbon Fiber trim on both the door panels and the steering wheel, so I think it matches good, just wish it was matte of flat instead of glossy.

How did you do them Purple and gold?

Mine has no carbon.

Take a pick from the back seat? I like the idea but struggle to see how it would work without going all the way.
+1.

These chrome trim reflections are still bothersome under strong sun in Texas even after more than one year of ownership. I thought Mazda would fix the problem for 2016.5 CX-5 but apparently they don't bother.

Our 2016 GT has no "faux carbon fiber" on door panels or steering wheel. Only brushed aluminum.

OK, thanks for the reply, I never gave much thought to it, but it indeed looks like there are a few interior bezels and things that are different between the Sport/Touring and GT models.

The older models are plain black. You could change the vents and the dash strip for not a lot of money.

No sun in England, only rain ;-)

Back