2016 vs. 2016.5

Mazda often does half year models as their model years often extend beyond a normal calendar year. For example, 2016 cx-5's were shipping over a year ago. The 2014/2014.5 MY lasted 18 months. Some changes are visible and some are hardware updates underneath. This 2016.5 version is a pretty large change with pricing and tweaks to trim packages.

On mine it's heated seats and gps (which is basically software on an SD card - normally 400 bucks). Not sure about the back-up camera availability on the 2016? Seems it might have been part of a package but it's standard on my 2016.5 model (the camera, not the entire tech package). Also, the GS (US Touring) comes standard with a sunroof.

Mazda often does half year models as their model years often extend beyond a normal calendar year. For example, 2016 cx-5's were shipping over a year ago. The 2014/2014.5 MY lasted 18 months. Some changes are visible and some are hardware updates underneath. This 2016.5 version is a pretty large change with pricing and tweaks to trim packages.

You want to talk about the worst offenders for "produced out of calendar year"? Ford Mustang, and Dodge Viper, lol! I was looked at a Viper, Z06, and GT500 back in 2011, and the Viper's (2010) were STILL rolling off the assy. line well into 2011, the 2012 GT500 was available in 2010 (late). I was super confused by it all.

Just wondering what the differences are and why the change? Anyone have answers?
I haven't seen it, but here it is ...

Wow...check the built date of your friends 2016 CX5 ..GT built after April 1st is 2016.5 and has standard equipment Memory Driver Seat with 2 memory settings and 6-way power passenger seat.
Here you go!!!!
CX5 MEMORY SEAT

d0d4b36cb26068d50d32c4707436fa57.jpg
07cc797678d43330338805519b7d2cb8.jpg

Memory seats??? This feature has never been mentioned by any magazine presenting the 2016.5 models. You're talking about US models, right?

How do you find the build date? My brand new 2016.5 does not have the memory seat.
Build date is on the ID sticker of driver side door jamb next to tire pressure information sticker.

Actually for 2016.5 CX-5, the build date could be as early as Dec. 2015. A friend bought a 2016.5 CX-5 GT in April with Feb. 2016 build date. His doesn't have "memory driver seat with 2 memory settings and 6-way power passenger seat". Went to my Mazda dealer a couple of weeks ago checking out new 2016 CX-9, and I couldn't find any new CX-5 having such features. Our salesman said he hasn't seen or heard such features would be available in new CX-5 either.

Memory seats??? This feature has never been mentioned by any magazine presenting the 2016.5 models. You're talking about US models, right?
This forum member from California did post pictures of memory driver seat and the settings of picture seems to be at a US Mazda dealer. But he didn't post pictures of "6-way power passenger seat" in a 2016.5 CX-5.

This forum member from California did post pictures of memory driver seat and the settings of picture seems to be at a US Mazda dealer. But he didn't post pictures of "6-way power passenger seat" in a 2016.5 CX-5.

I saw the picture but I repeat that no car magazine has ever mentioned memory driver seat nor powered passenger seat in their 2016.5 CX-5 intro article. Hard to believe they would have all missed it.
I also went to Mazda's website and built a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring. There's no mention of driver memory seat nor powered passenger seat whatsoever and it's not included in the Tech Package. Nothing has changed compared to the 2016 GT w/ Tech that I own.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised that Mazda didn't keep a mid-range HID option around. Comparing Halogen to LED is a fairly radical gap from a tech standpoint.

Memory driver and power passenger seat option appears to show up on Canadian vehicles. Look at interior features on GT.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/2016-5-cx-5/specs/

(17) 16.5's at this dealer alone in Calgary with memory drivers seat.

http://www.sunridgemazda.com/new-inventory/index.htm?gvOption=Memory+Seats&&&&model=CX-5&
Looks like what kids_dad said is true! He's seen these in California and I'm glad Mazda North American Operations finally listened! But it's too late for me and I really want memory seat feature!

Time for the obvious question. I have a 2-week old 2016.5 CX-5 that does not have the memory seat feature. What hardware do I need to make it happen? The models between US and Canada are usually not much different with respect to electronics.

Last edited:
Back