Mazda Reports Slightly Misleading May Sales

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
http://www.mazda-motors.com/news/mazda-reports-slightly-misleading-may-sales/

As we came into June, Mazda North American Operations reported its total sales for the month of Maya total in the US of 28,328 vehicles. This number is, surprisingly, a 4.3% decrease from last year during the same monththis is, keep in mind, during a month when Mazda had just been celebrating its best April since 1995 in sales.

However, this is slightly misleadinglast year, May had 26 selling days, whereas this year thanks to holidays there are only 24 selling days. Taken on a daily-selling-rate basis, this years sales were actually an improvement of 3.7%.

This sales rate was bolstered by strong sales of the MX-5, which had a very strong month at 1,000 vehicles sold, up a crazy 122.7% from last year. In addition, the Mazda6 had its best sales month of the year at 5,027 vehicles sold, the CX-5 had its second-best May ever at 9,951 vehicles sold, and the CX-9 managed to chime in a very nice 600 sales, even though it only reached dealerships for about a week before the end of the month.

Also, it seems that Mazdas plugging of the i-ACTIV All-Wheel Drive system back in February really did the trick, as the drivetrain was chosen by a full 56% of buyers for SUVs.

In Mexico, unfortunately, Mazda hasnt offered much information, only reporting May sales of 3,650 vehicles, which is down 15% from May last year.

One of the things I found interesting while listening to Dave Coleman during one of those CX9 test drives was that he stated Mazda was happy with 2% of the US market share. I guess if they're making a profit w/out compromising their values, more power to them.

But as CAFE standards rise rapidly in the future (something like a fleet average of 55 MPGs by 2025), I hope they can stay true to their philosophy. I'm sure there new partnership with Toyota was formed with this in mind.

... the CX-9 managed to chime in a very nice 600 sales, even though it only reached dealerships for about a week before the end of the month.
The sales figure in May for Mazda CX-9 also includes 1st-gen 2015 CX-9's which were heavily discounted.

Latest posts

Back